How to Monitor Class C ATC

ee1993

I live near an airport in Class C airspace. The airport serves both civilian and military aircraft. I want to monitor the approach/departure control that uses four frequencies, two UHF (for military) and two VHF. Aircraft call in on one of the four frequencies, depending on their position East or West of the field. ATC transmits on all four frequencies simultaneously. A scanner stops on a transmission and pauses on the frequency for a set time. This causes me to mis aircraft transmissions when the airspace is busy. The only solutions I can think of that will guarantee the I hear all transmission is to run for separate receivers. I am looking into a possible solution using a wideband SDR and multiple instances of the software.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
you might try changing the scan delay from whatever it is to 0 on your radio. make/model of the radio?

ee1993

you might try changing the scan delay from whatever it is to 0 on your radio. make/model of the radio?
That may work. I'll give it a try. Depending on the scan speed, I may get some clipping of the first syllables. My current scanner is an old Radio Shack Pro 197 but I plan to buy a new one. Looking for the best scanner for AM air bands.

a417

U+0000
That may work. I'll give it a try. Depending on the scan speed, I may get some clipping of the first syllables. My current scanner is an old Radio Shack Pro 197 but I plan to buy a new one. Looking for the best scanner for AM air bands.
The only sure fire way to catch as many transmissions as possible is to use a dedicated reciever for each frequency. Scanning adds delay, delay means missed transmissions. 4 dedicated recievers on each frequency will perform better than 'tHe BeST SkAnnAr eVaRR'.

morfis

Reducing the delay time doesn't address your problem as you'd still only hear one transmission at a time...and is it the interesting and unusual call from a chap in his homebuild aircraft or yet another tedious F16

Unless the frequencies are close together then an SDR isn't going to help you. If close together you'd still need at least two.

Four receivers is the way to go.
You could use four cheap rtl-dongle devices and software but that pretty much ties you to computers of some description. They would perhaps add some other flexability to your monitoring capability but you didn't suggest that was needed.
Airband capable scanners can be had for pennies at garage sales in the US. Four of those will do the job nicely and you wouldn't then be tied to computing devices. Audio usually more pleasant from traditional style receivers too. Might even pick up some interesting radios!

K3HY

Premium Subscriber
Reducing the delay time doesn't address your problem as you'd still only hear one transmission at a time...and is it the interesting and unusual call from a chap in his homebuild aircraft or yet another tedious F16

Unless the frequencies are close together then an SDR isn't going to help you. If close together you'd still need at least two.

Four receivers is the way to go.
You could use four cheap rtl-dongle devices and software but that pretty much ties you to computers of some description. They would perhaps add some other flexability to your monitoring capability but you didn't suggest that was needed.
Airband capable scanners can be had for pennies at garage sales in the US. Four of those will do the job nicely and you wouldn't then be tied to computing devices. Audio usually more pleasant from traditional style receivers too. Might even pick up some interesting radios!
That's why I really enjoy Proscan supporting so many Uniden scanners. I can watch multiple scanners at once, for 1 software purchase. Sorry for being a Proscan 'fanboy' LOL

spacellamaman

I live near an airport in Class C airspace. The airport serves both civilian and military aircraft. I want to monitor the approach/departure control that uses four frequencies, two UHF (for military) and two VHF. Aircraft call in on one of the four frequencies, depending on their position East or West of the field. ATC transmits on all four frequencies simultaneously. A scanner stops on a transmission and pauses on the frequency for a set time. This causes me to mis aircraft transmissions when the airspace is busy. The only solutions I can think of that will guarantee the I hear all transmission is to run for separate receivers. I am looking into a possible solution using a wideband SDR and multiple instances of the software.

Does anyone have any better ideas?
Monitoring KGSO activity then?