How To 'Monitor' Encrypted Public Safety 'Peripherally' Vblog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Well, either way, encryption keys can be changed, and said $800 radio would no longer work. While I understand your point, and can appreciate that the agency offered you a solution, they do still have control.
control is ok if the story is true at least the agency was willing to make an effort, if you can pass a background check and sign a NDA I see no problem here,

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I know this went off-topic with the second post, but I find it interesting that the county that member shows to be in has a feed on Broadcastify. I sure hope someone isn't using one of thse $800 radios the sheriff let them purchase to provide this feed.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I know this went off-topic with the second post, but I find it interesting that the county that member shows to be in has a feed on Broadcastify. I sure hope someone isn't using one of thse $800 radios the sheriff let them purchase to provide this feed.
not to mention i was just thinking, wouldn't mentioning he has a radio and the whole deal violate the NDA?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Like I said provide Case law.. It is public record if you can't then you are full of it. The only time I have heard of anyone being given a dedicated encrypted radio is to a verified news agency and that is rare.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Well, either way, encryption keys can be changed, and said $800 radio would no longer work. While I understand your point, and can appreciate that the agency offered you a solution, they do still have control.

If the system is trunked it can also be Dynamically Regrouped to some unused talk-group or inhibited. Not sure what type system he claims to be monitoring but it's much easier than a hand re-key if it's trunked. :cool:

In the big picture I highly doubt that an agency would intentionally provide access to their system to monitor encrypted traffic as an NDA, like a Restraining Order, is just a piece of paper (sarcasm off).

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I think the bottom line is that no one is listening to encrypted comms that they have no business listening to, and let's just say for argument's sake that someone was actually listening to something which is unlikely, why in the heck would you be stupid enough to actually admit to a felony in the forums? or anywhere for that matter? and it's not a little felony either, the claims are bogus but smh this is why we can't have nice things

and this is why most agencies wouldn't even consider giving people access, because they are not responsible,

rapidcharger

I'd like to apologize. Apparently the link I posted the other day got corrupted and hacked somehow to redirect to youtube and for that I am very sorry. To be safe, be sure to run anti-virus on your computer.
The article I saw is for real though. I found another source that talks about the college students that managed to decrypt the police radio. I didn't have time to read the whole thing but it seems plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.