how to program a Radio Shack PRO 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

weischedel

I am new to this and I do not know how to set it up I can program it but I am not receiving any signal. I don't know where to start on fingering out what I have done wrong. Any help would be much apperciated.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome! A couple of questions to be able to help you. What are you trying to monitor (City, county, state, agencies)? Do you have programming software? If so. what software?

weischedel

Welcome! A couple of questions to be able to help you. What are you trying to monitor (City, county, state, agencies)? Do you have programming software? If so. what software?
I am trying to get the city dispatch. I have tried the 500 something but I can’t figure out how to use it, it’s all Greek to me. I live in Rapid City SD.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Read the links in the article I gave - they will get you started with understanding the terminology, trunking and so on.

Your state uses a P25 VHF system that looks to be just a little tricky to program as there are special offsets you may need to use- and they are defined in the database (link below). I would suggest posting in our South Dakota forum - this is a case where locals are going to be your best resource. Keep the article I gave and the link below bookmarked - you will return to it when needed (even if you don't understand it all yet).

Go to the very bottom of this link for the trunked systems in your area. Note that anything marked DMR in the mode column (or in the type column at the bottom) will not be receivable on that radio. And while MPT-1327 systems aren't supported in any radio, they can be decoded with a utility app. Mike

N8IAA

I am trying to get the city dispatch. I have tried the 500 something but I can’t figure out how to use it, it’s all Greek to me. I live in Rapid City SD.

If you are trying to program the scanner by hand, you will need to put in trunking tables for the statewide system. This is probably why you can't monitor anything.

N8IAA

Read the links in the article I gave - they will get you started with understanding the terminology, trunking and so on.

Your state uses a P25 VHF system that looks to be just a little tricky to program as there are special offsets you may need to use- and they are defined in the database (link below). I would suggest posting in our South Dakota forum - this is a case where locals are going to be your best resource. Keep the article I gave and the link below bookmarked - you will return to it when needed (even if you don't understand it all yet).

Go to the very bottom of this link for the trunked systems in your area. Note that anything marked DMR in the mode column (or in the type column at the bottom) will not be receivable on that radio. And while MPT-1327 systems aren't supported in any radio, they can be decoded with a utility app. Mike

The system is a Moto Type II system. Not a stand alone P-25 system. The OP will need to use software to enter the trunking table. Don't have a clue how to do it by hand, and I've had a 106 for 12 years.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep I read that wrong. Still it's a bit weird to have 3 sets of offsets for a system like that...the offsets are right on the db entry page..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.