How to program and understand P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ablice

Hey,

I want to program all this P25 stuff into my 396T with v.3 firmware.

Transportation Security Administration - The RadioReference Wiki

How do I do it, step by step? I have bcTool and the UAD software standing by.

I see all these LCNs, TGIDs, NAC codes and I do not have a clue. I read the "easier to read bcd396t manual" and am even more bewildered. I searched. I found naught.

An example system would be excellent. Just tell me where to put what and I'll send you three cool points and a cookie. ;)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Since those are just conventional frequencies, you should be able to follow the steps at:
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ConventionalSystems

Note that the 396T does not have a few of the options mentioned on that page...specifically NAC and Digital/Analog/Both channel settings, Channel Number Tag. But, follow the general directions (create a conventional system, create a channel group in that system, create the channels in the channel group) and put in the frequencies and it should work.

Ablice

So I don't need to worry about the NACs on my 396T.

Just program it as if it's just a regular conventional system. Why?

Is that because P25 is digital audio, but can run on trunking or conventional systems?

So what do all the LCNs and NACs really do? I see a whole list of NACs here on this site, but that suggests that all those are operating on one control freq.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Ablice,
The 396T is not setup to use the NAC. You don't NEED it. All of the frequencies shown on the TSA wiki link are conventional, non-trunked. P25 can be used in both trunked and non-trunked systems just like FM. I do not see any LCN's on the wiki page, I can't remember exactly what LCN stands for Logical channel number, maybe? Anyway, LCN's are used in various trunked systems, I've seen them mostly on Edacs Systems where you have to put each frequency in a specific order to be able to trunk track the system.

As for NAC's, these act similar to ctcss or pl tones on conventional fm systems. Lets say TSA and McDonald's had the same frequency and were using p25. McD's could have a NAC of 100 and TSA a NAC of 1. You could program the freq. into your scanner and the NAC of 100 (if the 396t could do it) and listen to McDonald's all day long and not be bothered by the TSA.

jeff.

jclarkr6

So I don't need to worry about the NACs on my 396T.

Just program it as if it's just a regular conventional system. Why?

Is that because P25 is digital audio, but can run on trunking or conventional systems?

So what do all the LCNs and NACs really do? I see a whole list of NACs here on this site, but that suggests that all those are operating on one control freq.

NACs essentially perform the same function as CTCSS and DCS tones. Check out the Wiki's explanation of NACs here: NAC - The RadioReference Wiki. You would program the TSA frequencies that you want to monitor as conventional frequencies because all of those frequencies are non-trunked (which means they are conventional; conventional= non-trunked). If the frequency operates in P25 Mode, then set the audio for that frequency to digital in your scanner. If the frequency operates in an analog mode (like FM or NFM), then set the audio for that frequency to analog. You can choose to program NAC codes or CTCSS/DCS tones if you are worried about interference from other agencies on the same frequency, but programming in those codes/tones (NAC, CTCSS, DCS) is optional.

I looked at the TSA frequencies that you want to program into your scanner and I do not see any LCNs associated with the TSA frequencies that you want to monitor. I have never heard of LCNs being used on P25 conventional frequencies or analog conventional frequencies. In my experience, LCNs are only used on EDACS and LTR trunked systems. You can learn more about LCNs here: Logical Channel Number - The RadioReference Wiki

You are correct in stating that P25 digital voice can be used on certain types of trunking systems or on a conventional frequency. You can learn more about P25 here: P25 CAI - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.