How to program and use BCD436HP as a "normal" scanner?

ErikVanR

A friend has purchased a 436HP to replace his Radio Shack PRO-96. I am assisting him in setting it up and using it, but I am stumped on how to operate this thing like a typical modern scanner, where you use software and a PC to write a program spreadsheet for everything the way you want it (and nothing you don't want) and then load it to the radio. Or hand program in a few frequencies if you want. I'm not a novice with radios; I've used Win96 software for years with my PRO-96/2096 units, and FreeScan for my BCD325/996P2 units. I also use and program Yaesu/Kenwood amateur transceivers and write/edit codeplugs and program the Kenwood and BK (Bendix-King) VHF/UHF mobiles and portables at work. Some of the HomePatrol terminology is also unconventional: Avoid? Department? I used Sentinel to "load it up" just to get it going, but now I want to "drill-down" and only enable the few systems and channels he wants to monitor, but still be able to easily lockout a few of those and then enable other nearby systems/channels if needed.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You actually need both - Sentinel is the only program that can upload firmware fixes, if Uniden ever decides to get off their xxx and release any.

You really can't use these radios as a bank-type scanner. There's a lot of new terminology, and there is a learning curve. We have some FAQs in our wiki to help you along, including links to the Easier to Read manuals...;(links are in blue). Go to the bottom of the first page for these links; the Q&A starts on page 2

I would also check out the various YouTube videos on programming these radios - gotta add those links to the FAQ...

Mike

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
play around with programming while you read the users manual. that way you will learn how to program and operate the scanner at the same time. take your time write notes after a while it will be like childs play.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Generally speaking the user guide isn't very useful. The links I gave above will serve you much better.

Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A friend has purchased a 436HP to replace his Radio Shack PRO-96. I am assisting him in setting it up and using it, but I am stumped on how to operate this thing like a typical modern scanner, where you use software and a PC to write a program spreadsheet for everything the way you want it (and nothing you don't want) and then load it to the radio. Or hand program in a few frequencies if you want. I'm not a novice with radios; I've used Win96 software for years with my PRO-96/2096 units, and FreeScan for my BCD325/996P2 units. I also use and program Yaesu/Kenwood amateur transceivers and write/edit codeplugs and program the Kenwood and BK (Bendix-King) VHF/UHF mobiles and portables at work. Some of the HomePatrol terminology is also unconventional: Avoid? Department? I used Sentinel to "load it up" just to get it going, but now I want to "drill-down" and only enable the few systems and channels he wants to monitor, but still be able to easily lockout a few of those and then enable other nearby systems/channels if needed.
What your 325P2 and 996P2 call Groups, are the same as 'Departments' in the 436HP. Similarly, "Avoid" in the 436HP is called Locked Out in your P2 scanners.

As ka3aaa noted, ProScan is an excellent programming software program. While you also need Sentinel, as Mike has already noted, ProScan has options Sentinel does not. If you have not already done a 30-day free trial on ProScan, download & try it. You can download your programmed 325P2 & 996P2 scanners into ProScan, then 'import' either of those files into a programming file for the 436HP.

ErikVanR

What your 325P2 and 996P2 call Groups, are the same as 'Departments' in the 436HP. Similarly, "Avoid" in the 436HP is called Locked Out in your P2 scanners.

As ka3aaa noted, ProScan is an excellent programming software program. While you also need Sentinel, as Mike has already noted, ProScan has options Sentinel does not. If you have not already done a 30-day free trial on ProScan, download & try it. You can download your programmed 325P2 & 996P2 scanners into ProScan, then 'import' either of those files into a programming file for the 436HP.

Thank you (and the others) for the info. I was initially going to recommend the 325P2 scanner to my friend, as I already have the programs and experience with it. I do find that the limited battery capacity and lack of keypad backlighting diminishes the usefulness of the 325P2. I wish it had a larger form factor, with a louder speaker and better battery. Anyway, I recommended the 436HP, due to my friend's occasional out-of-state travels. I'll try the Proscan and read more of Mark's Scanners Easier to Read stuff. I did initially go to Mark's site, but thought I'd also try for some first-hand info here.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
The closest you're going to get to using it as a "banks" memory scanner is make favorites lists sorted however you want them i.e. one county's police departments as a favorites list, their fire departments as another favorites list, etc.Turn off scanning the full database and just scan the favorites. You can scan all favorites or just selected ones. Something along those lines. Whenever I program a new scanner I go into it knowing I'm likely going to do a factory reset in 6 months because I'll realize there's a different method I'd rather use program it. It's just a matter of using it.

1 year in of 436hp ownership and I'm still confused by it and especially sentinel sometimes

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yep. That is why I bought a back-up Uniden 396XT off flea-bay! I love the bank factor. (y)
The 396XT is a DMA scanner, not a "bank" scanner. You have Systems & Groups, not Banks & Channels.

You can assign duplicate Quick Keys to sets of systems, so that you can turn multiple systems on or off, much as the way a banked scanner could turn a set of channels on or off. But, the difference is that a DMA scanner, unlike a true "banks" scanner, does not have a pre-defined number of channels that are selected, or deselected, at one time.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT is a DMA scanner, not a "bank" scanner. You have Systems & Groups, not Banks & Channels.

You can assign duplicate Quick Keys to sets of systems, so that you can turn multiple systems on or off, much as the way a banked scanner could turn a set of channels on or off. But, the difference is that a DMA scanner, unlike a true "banks" scanner, does not have a pre-defined number of channels that are selected, or deselected, at one time.

I know it is a DMA scanner, thanks for that. The way I programmed it, it functions as a bank scanner like the 125AT.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
So is the 436. Substitute 'departments' for 'groups' and you should be on your way....Mike

rcool101

Feed Provider
You actually need both - Sentinel is the only program that can upload firmware fixes, if Uniden ever decides to get off their xxx and release any.

You really can't use these radios as a bank-type scanner.

Mike
I do for my 100, 200, 436, and 536. I put one system in a Favorite list and give it Quick Key 1. I put another system in a Favorite List and give it Quick Key 2. Etc Etc Etc...... Hit 1 and Enter. Hit 2 and Enter. Etc....Not the way you're supposed to do it but it works for me. Just like banks. I have 15 Systems in 15 FLs with 15 QKs

tvengr

Well Known Member
A friend has purchased a 436HP to replace his Radio Shack PRO-96. I am assisting him in setting it up and using it, but I am stumped on how to operate this thing like a typical modern scanner, where you use software and a PC to write a program spreadsheet for everything the way you want it (and nothing you don't want) and then load it to the radio.
All of the counties in my area each have their own radio system. I setup each county in a separate favorites list and have a quick key assigned to each favorites list. To toggle a favorites list on and off to select the county or counties I want, I press the favorites list quick key number followed by E on the keypad.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
You can look at how I stacked my Favorites. I have increased efficiency by using start up keys; however, if one of the Favorites becomes annoying, all I have to do is toggle it off. Mine is set up like a banked scanner.

Attachments

• Banks.jpg
    Banks.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 70

Lexmm

Premium Subscriber
I also use favorites lists on the 436 as banks using quick keys. I’m using the same bank numbers that I’ve been using since the 1980s so I can easily remember them, although the newer scanners allow for a lot more banks. For instance I’ve always used Bank 1 for local police and fire, Bank 2 for surrounding cities and towns police and fire, Bank 3 for state police etc. Since the 436 allows for 100 favorites lists, I even have some favorites lists with one or two analog channels in them. This also allows me to keep the favorites lists mostly the same across different models. I did prefer the ease of use of the 396/996 models since I could turn on and off banks 0-9 with one key press and all of my most important systems were in those banks.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I did prefer the ease of use of the 396/996 models since I could turn on and off banks 0-9 with one key press and all of my most important systems were in those banks.
I agree! I would love to see a SDS396 and SDS996. It is also a lot easier selecting sites using system quick keys. They would be perfect for firefighters who are generally interested only in their local county and the surrounding counties for mutual aid and have no need for all of the bells and whistles. I would grab them up in an instant.

Last edited: