• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 How to program NAC with CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb2910

Greetings all... I am hitting a brick wall trying to figure out how to program NACs into my XTS5000s. I have several XTS5000s consisting of Model 1s, 2s and 3s. They all work great and function without any issues. Can anyone advise me how to program NACs using CPS into my XTS5000s to filter out other transmissions? I'm operating in P25 so CTCSS/DPL isn't an option. Thanks to all for any help and advice!!! Take care and stay healthy.

lb2910

Set the Tx/Rx Network ID in the zone.

...and doing that will filter all other radios that don't have the Network ID? I assume I need to assign identical Network ID's to each radio correct? Sorry for the lame questions. I just want to ensure I configure correctly... thanks for the help!!!

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Yes. If Channel 1 is DB2, then Channel 1 in the other radios need to be DB2 as well...Presuming they're all the same frequency band to begin with.

Regards,

-Frank C.

lb2910

Yes. If Channel 1 is DB2, then Channel 1 in the other radios need to be DB2 as well...Presuming they're all the same frequency band to begin with.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Appreciate all the great advice GTR and Frank!!! I found the Rx/Tx Network ID field in the Zone. The default is set to 293. I assume that the default setting allows any transmission on that particular freq to be heard? I will change both the Tx/Rx IDs to something else. Is there any HEX value that specifically filters out all transmissions other than the radios that the same value? Or can I just enter anything I want (HEX allowable)? Thanks again gents!!!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
293 is considered the "default" NAC, and is the one primarily used with the nationwide interop frequencies that operate in digital mode (7CALL/7TAC). No, a NAC of 293 does not allow anything to be heard, it is a unique NAC. There is a CSQ equivalent NAC of F7E that will open squelch for any NAC that is received.

lb2910

293 is considered the "default" NAC, and is the one primarily used with the nationwide interop frequencies that operate in digital mode (7CALL/7TAC). No, a NAC of 293 does not allow anything to be heard, it is a unique NAC. There is a CSQ equivalent NAC of F7E that will open squelch for any NAC that is received.

Ok... this is starting to make sense now... The reason I asked about the default NAC is because I was using the radios a couple of months ago in a dense business area. The radios are programmed with itinerant freqs of which I have a current FCC license. A few times I was able to hear other transmissions and all of my XTS5000s have the default "293." I hope that makes sense...

Based on that, can I just input any accepted HEX value to further lock down my radios where I only hear traffic from my radios?

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Ok... this is starting to make sense now... The reason I asked about the default NAC is because I was using the radios a couple of months ago in a dense business area. The radios are programmed with itinerant freqs of which I have a current FCC license. A few times I was able to hear other transmissions and all of my XTS5000s have the default "293." I hope that makes sense...

Based on that, can I just input any accepted HEX value to further lock down my radios where I only hear traffic from my radios?

This is a list of Federal Governement users NAC's but it's pretty clear as to what NAC's should be used. Can't just use "anything".

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Huh? Where do you get that idea from? Any NAC from 000 to FFF is valid and can be used. There are no restrictions except for F7E and F7F that have special meaning, anything else will work just fine.
What if the OP wanted to put in GBP or RSO...WOULD NOT work as they're outside the bounds of NAC...

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Just wanting to make sure things are clear...Not everyone is as good as those of us vet radio guys...

Regards,

-Frank C.

ecps92

AS GTR indicated, where did you read that ?

Anyone can use Any NAC they want.

For the OP, if you want to drive folks crazy, use the $000 NAC, as the Unidens drop leading Zeros [ooops, will show no NAC]
This is a list of Federal Governement users NAC's but it's pretty clear as to what NAC's should be used. Can't just use "anything".

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
AS GTR indicated, where did you read that ?

Anyone can use Any NAC they want.

For the OP, if you want to drive folks crazy, use the $000 NAC, as the Unidens drop leading Zeros [ooops, will show no NAC]

Yes but some people would *try* and put in a custom NAC and then complain when it doesn't work. I HAVE SEEN people try and do that. Then I have to explain to them while they're trying to cuss me out WHY they can't do that...Just trying to be helpful!

Regards,

-Frank C.

lb2910

Solid copy on all comments... I see what Frank was trying to say along with GTR... My plan is to create my own unique HEX accepted NAC and put that into my channels. I'll steer clear of using anything Uncle Sam uses. I truly appreciate everyone's help and advice. This forum is by far the best in the "business." Great help and folks giving of their time to help rookies like me... If anyone sees a flaw in my plan or has tips/tricks to share, feel free to chime in... thanks again!!!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

Regards,

-Frank C.

There are lots of errors and omissions in that list (FFB is not SS, but a particular DOD entity, as just one example example). I have found it of little use myself.

lb2910

Just programmed two radios and left the others without the NAC.. worked PERFECTLY!!!! Thanks to all for the great help. Stay safe and healthy..

ecps92

Then help out with the edits, and make a correction.
Anyone can edit the Wiki

However FFB is DoD in MD/DC but is possibly USSS based on some observations in UHF from Lousisanna
There are lots of errors and omissions in that list (FFB is not SS, but a particular DOD entity, as just one example example). I have found it of little use myself.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Then help out with the edits, and make a correction.
Anyone can edit the Wiki
However FFB is DoD in MD/DC but is possibly USSS based on some observations in UHF from Lousisanna

The database needs to be location specific or frequency specific then for that case.
I have lost interest in helping directly with the edits of the database. Did that in that past and met up with arguments and craziness that consumed far too much time. And, in addition, some of us have situations where we have to be careful about what we say/post. The worst thing now is that it seems most threads where I would like to comment with new or correct information have been "closed"--very infuriating.

But where in Louisiana and what frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.