• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to program repeaters into a Baofeng UV-5R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
Guide to programming repeaters into a Baofeng UV-5R

I see a good bit of threads about how to program repeaters and so on..

Lets start..

1. Power on your Baofeng

2. Hit the VFO/Memory button to enter "frequency mode"(VFO)

3. Hit the menu button, enter the number 7. You will want to hit Menu button again and select OFF.

4. Now you type in your RX frequency.

5. Hit the menu button, enter the number 25. You will want to hit the Menu button again and select the desired +, - or OFF for your repeater offset.

6. Hit the menu button, enter the number 26. You will want to hit the Menu button again and enter the actual offset of the repeater. (ex .600 for 2m repeaters)

7. Hit the menu button, enter the number 13. This is where you will enter the PL tone/CTSS. You will want to hit Menu and you can type in the PL tone or you can select it manually with the up and down arrow.

8. Hit the menu button, enter the number 27. You will want to hit the Menu button again and type in the channel number that you want the frequency stored on.

The next step is where people mess it up! This is VERY important.

After you have programmed the frequency into the desired channel, your Baofeng "lady" should say "transmitting memory". After she says that you will want to hit exit and go back to the screen where you originally entered your desired frequency. You must now push the * button(SCAN) and make sure there is an R on your screen next to the (+,-). You should also notice a CT symbol light up. If you have done the steps up until this point correct, your radio should display the offset frequency! This will be your receiving memory.

9. Hit the menu button, enter the number 27. You will want to hit the Menu button again and type in the SAME channel number as you used in step 9! If you used "004" then you must program this into "004" otherwise it will NOT work.

After your Baofeng lady says "receiving memory" you may hit Exit and go back to MR (Memory Mode). Go to the channel you have programmed and hit your PTT button.(Only if you are a licensed Ham). You should key up to the repeater and if you did it right you will know. Some repeaters have courtest tones, others do not. Sometimes you may not be able to hit a repeater due to distance.

Congratulations you have successfully programmed a repeater into your Baofeng.

Last edited:

Soundy

Premium Subscriber
Great instructions... just did it, seemed to work, BUT... let me make sure I've got this right: everything else is set, I hit MENU, 27, MENU, 082, MENU... and after a few seconds it kicks me back to the VFO display. I never get the "transmitting memory" message, but when I hit * I do see the CT, R, and input frequency.

When I do Step 9, I don't get the "receiving memory" message either... and when I go back to MR mode, 82 isn't programmed (it doesn't show up in CHIRP either).

The repeater is responding, so the settings are right, it just doesn't seem to be storing it in the memory slot. What am I missing??

Soundy

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I did it on line B before... switched to line A and tried again, and this time I get the "transmitting memory", but after that, I hit *, it shows me the CT and R and proper frequency, but when I go back to MENU, 27, MENU, 082, MENU it just gives me "transmitting memory" again, not "receiving".

I can punch up 082 now on MR, and CHIRP shows all the correct settings (offset, tone, etc.). So it looks like it worked. Does it need to be done on line A every time? And am I missing something else that I don't get the "receiving memory" message?

Thanks guys! I'm saving this thread to Evernote so I'll have it with me when I get out of cell range :)

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Worked perfect on the UV-5r+. You just typed that it has to receoving memory twice so I got confused at first. Works fine now. I really gotta get the programming cable and a not linux pc. Afraid the buttons might wear in.

Oh also you should go to number 11 and program in the output tone of the repeater as well to avoid interference. I ended up looking like a fool trying to respond to someone i heard on the output that wasnt on the repeater.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Programming UV-5r

There is a version of Chirp for Linux that should work for your radio. There is also a Linux distribution that can boot from a CD with Chirp already included and set up.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I see a good bit of threads about how to program repeaters and so on..

Lets start..

1. Power on your Baofeng

2. Hit the VFO/Memory button to enter "frequency mode"(VFO)

3. Hit the menu button, enter the number 7. You will want to hit Menu button again and select OFF.

4. Now you type in your RX frequency.

5. Hit the menu button, enter the number 25. You will want to hit the Menu button again and select the desired +, - or OFF for your repeater offset.

6. Hit the menu button, enter the number 26. You will want to hit the Menu button again and enter the actual offset of the repeater. (ex .600 for 2m repeaters)

7. Hit the menu button, enter the number 13. This is where you will enter the PL tone/CTSS. You will want to hit Menu and you can type in the PL tone or you can select it manually with the up and down arrow.

8. Hit the menu button, enter the number 27. You will want to hit the Menu button again and type in the channel number that you want the frequency stored on.

The next step is where people mess it up! This is VERY important.

After you have programmed the frequency into the desired channel, your Baofeng "lady" should say "transmitting memory". After she says that you will want to hit exit and go back to the screen where you originally entered your desired frequency. You must now push the * button(SCAN) and make sure there is an R on your screen next to the (+,-). You should also notice a CT symbol light up. If you have done the steps up until this point correct, your radio should display the offset frequency! This will be your receiving memory.

9. Hit the menu button, enter the number 27. You will want to hit the Menu button again and type in the SAME channel number as you used in step 9! If you used "004" then you must program this into "004" otherwise it will NOT work.

After your Baofeng lady says "receiving memory" you may hit Exit and go back to MR (Memory Mode). Go to the channel you have programmed and hit your PTT button.(Only if you are a licensed Ham). You should key up to the repeater and if you did it right you will know. Some repeaters have courtest tones, others do not. Sometimes you may not be able to hit a repeater due to distance.

Congratulations you have successfully programmed a repeater into your Baofeng.

You have the right idea. Some very important steps that can confound a new user trying to program their radio have been left out. There are also some other errors.

After step 2, there needs to be a step to have the user select the top [A] line. Manual programming can only be done from [A]. If is selected, programming will fail.

Step 8 will fail if the user tries to save to an already programmed memory channel. You can only program empty memories. A step should be added to erase the target memory channel or at least state that step 8 needs to be saved to an empty memory.

You have the voice prompts from the "Baofeng "lady"" reversed. Performing step 8 will result in "receiving memory" being heard, performing step 9 will result in "transmitting memory being heard.

There is a paragraph full of "steps" between step 8 and step 9. These need to be broken up and shown as steps. Otherwise it looks to someone following this guide like you go from step 8 to step 9 without doing anything. That won't work if a repeater is being programmed.

If you are programming a simplex channel (step 5 menu 25 = OFF), then nothing needs to be done after step 8. At step 8, no matter what, a simplex channel is created (TX frequency = RX frequency). At step 9 the user is updating the original TX frequency to the "new" TX frequency.

To see programming examples that cover all of the required steps, visit the miklor.com website

Baofeng Pofung Programming Memories UV5R UV82 GT3
Baofeng Pofung UV5R Programming Flow Chart UV-5R

Also for detailed reference for the more popular Baofeng radio menus look at these guides.

http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/UV-5R Menus.pdf
http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/UV-82 Menus.pdf
http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/BF-F8HP Menus.pdf

Jim KC9HI

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I did it on line B before... switched to line A and tried again, and this time I get the "transmitting memory", but after that, I hit *, it shows me the CT and R and proper frequency, but when I go back to MENU, 27, MENU, 082, MENU it just gives me "transmitting memory" again, not "receiving".

I can punch up 082 now on MR, and CHIRP shows all the correct settings (offset, tone, etc.). So it looks like it worked. Does it need to be done on line A every time? And am I missing something else that I don't get the "receiving memory" message?

Thanks guys! I'm saving this thread to Evernote so I'll have it with me when I get out of cell range :)

Like I explained in my earlier post, one of the things missing in the original post is a step to switch to the [A] display or at least a comment that says programming must be done in the top display of the VFO.

Here is how programming actually works...

Menu 27 (MEM-CH) is used to save the VFO frequency and certain menu parameters into the target memory. It has two distinct modes. The first is when you save to an empty memory. The second is when you save to an non-empty memory.

Menu 27 indicates whether a memory is empty or non-empty by display formatting.
[___082] <-- empty
[CH-082] <-- non-empty

When menu 27 writes to an empty memory, the current VFO frequency is written to both the RX frequency and TX frequency registers of the target memory thus creating a simplex (RX=TX) channel. At the same time, the following menu parameters are also written to the target memory: TXP, WN, R-DCS, R-CTCS, T-DCS, T-CTCS, S-CODE, PTT-ID and BCL. The voice prompt heard will be "receiving memory". Once this is done, this memory is no longer empty and is available to be used from MR mode as a simplex channel.

When menu 27 writes to a non-empty memory, the current VFO frequency is written to only the TX frequency register of the target memory (thus updating it). At the same time, the following menu parameters are written to the target memory: T-DCS and T-CTCS. The voice prompt heard will be "transmitting memory". This must be done whenever the TX frequency needs to be different from the RX frequency (ie. repeater, odd split or cross band operation).

So any time after a memory has been programmed, the TX frequency, TX DCS code or TX CTCSS tone can be updated. But if your aim is just to update the CTCSS tone, you must be sure to key the TX frequency of the memory into the VFO first or the memory's TX frequency will be changed to whatever the current frequency of the VFO happens to be. And only these three parameters can be updated. If any other parameter needs to be changed, the the memory will have to be erased using menu 28 (DEL-CH) and reprogrammed from scratch.

Jim KC9HI

sofasurfer

There is an issue that I can not find covered anywhere and I can't find anyone who is having this same problem. When I program multiple frequencies in differant bands...2m and 70cm... my tone and offset settings frequently get messed up. For instance, I program 444.200 with 107.2 tone and 5.000 offset. Next I program 147.34 with 100.0 tone and .600 offset. When I recheck my settings I see that both channels have a tone of 100.0 and an offset of 5.000.
Any ideas?

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
There is an issue that I can not find covered anywhere and I can't find anyone who is having this same problem. When I program multiple frequencies in differant bands...2m and 70cm... my tone and offset settings frequently get messed up. For instance, I program 444.200 with 107.2 tone and 5.000 offset. Next I program 147.34 with 100.0 tone and .600 offset. When I recheck my settings I see that both channels have a tone of 100.0 and an offset of 5.000.
Any ideas?

In CHIRP, when you click on a tone frequency in the drop-down list of tones, you haven't selected it yet. To actually select it, you must either press [Enter] or click onto another cell to make the selection permanent.

To double check to make sure you have fully completed the selection, click the [Refresh] button. If the setting reverts to it previous setting, then the selection wasn't fully completed. It is "stick", the selection was completed properly.

Another way to make selections that will always "stick" is to click on a row to highlight it. Then either right click on the row and select Properties from the dialog box that appears or simply click on the [Properties] button at the top of the Spreadsheet Style Memories Editor. Then make the desired changes in the Memory Properties menu that pops up. Don't forget to make changes to the "extra" settings on the Other tab. Then once you are done, click the [Ok] button.

Jim KC9HI

rumrunner6

about 20 miles North West of Boston, Middlesex Cou
hello, hope this isn't too old a thread to ask a question on and I apologize for my ignorance. just got this radio and playing with it just listening until I get my tech license. 1st post here. I've manually programmed a bunch of stuff like popular simplex freq. frs & weather & a handful of marine bands. so I think I know enough to ask this question. if I decide later to use chirp software will I lose my work so far? I'm leaning toward just programming manually. right now I'm studying the ins and outs of repeaters.

anarky321

so does dual-standby have to be off to use repeater channels or just for the programming?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
if I decide later to use chirp software will I lose my work so far? I'm leaning toward just programming manually. right now I'm studying the ins and outs of repeaters.

I know that this thread is OLD, but since the question asked was never answered, I thought I'd answer it anyway for anyone else who may have the same question.

In short: always "download" your radio first, and save the results to your hard drive. This is especially critical if you have already manually programmed anything to the radio!

Doing this simple step will provide you a "fallback" in case you manage to FUBAR your CHIRP programming... :D

nd5y

so does dual-standby have to be off to use repeater channels or just for the programming?
You can use a repeater with TDR on but you have to know how it works.
TDR scans both A and B display channels. You can't receive both at the same time. It stops on the channel that is active first. The problem is when you release the PTT switch TDR starts receiving the opposite channel first, not the one you were just transmitting on. Activity on the other channel can prevent you from hearing the repeater you are using. If there is little or no activity on the other channel then it's usually not an issue.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber

No and no.

The has never been a requirement to set TDR of OFF for manual programming. There are 2 reasons why you would, though.

1. On older radios (probably 3 years or more), TDR=ON prevented the radio from being switched into "reverse" mode to come up with the TX frequency. If you want to use "reverse" mode and tapping the [*] key doesn't switch the radio into "reverse" mode, then TDR needs to be set to OFF. If you key the TX frequency in or have an newer radio that has this bug fixed, TDR can be left set to ON.

2. On the newest radios, you cannot store the VFO frequency to a memory if a signal is being received. When TDR is ON, there is twice as much chance that a signal will be received while programming. Setting TDR to OFF eliminates any chance for the B display to disrupt programming, but it is absolutely not required.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.