How to program these into Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyH1

Radio Shack Pro-164 Scanner.

I am trying to program in these frequencies and talk groups from here: New Hampshire Department of Natural and Cultural Resources Trunking System, Varies, New Hampshire - Scanner Frequencies
(I was going to start with LifeGuard talk groups)

I am very knowledgebase at programming regular frequencies, this is my first time with trunking.
I've read the manual on Trunking a bunch of times, not grasping it too well yet.
(Starting on page 38 of the manual)
I'm a computer / technical person in general, so usually good at reading and learning stuff.
But I couldn't figure it out.

Searched and read a lot of stuff online including here, I thought I was getting there but no luck yet!

I got as far as:
Made my Bank 4 a "Trunking" bank, I picked motorola (page 38)
Didn't know what to pick after that so I tried:
I used one of the suggested "Fleet Maps" listed on page 40....
Further guessed at Base and Offset Frequencies...page 41
For saving Talk Group IDs (page 45)I then got further stuck

Searched some more, trying to learn how to program these in

I'm usually very self service, I've spent many hours attempting.
Sorry to bother and ask for help.
If you have any instruction you can offer, let me know.
Thank you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Pro-164 scanner is analog only. The system you specified is a DMR digital system which your scanner cannot decode.

System Name:New Hampshire Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
County:Statewide
System Type:DMR Tier 3 Standard
System Voice:DMR

TonyH1

Can you suggest a scanner brand or model or lingo that I need to ask for so I could purchase a scanner that would work?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I assume you want a handheld like the Pro-164. The Whistler WS1080, WS1088, and TRX-1 can decode DMR out of the box, but cannot trunk track trunked systems such as the one you want. Free EZ Scan programming software is provided by Whistler. For Uniden scanners, you must purchase a paid upgrade for DMR. Uniden pays a royalty which allows them to use the technology to properly trunk track DMR systems. The lowest priced Uniden scanner for DMR is the BCD325P2. If the upgrade is purchased through Uniden at my.uniden.com and you install it yourself, I believe the upgrade is $60.00. The upgrade already resides in the scanner firmware. You just need to enter the key to enable it. You will pay more if you purchase the scanner with the upgrade already installed. FreeSCAN programming software does not fully support DMR. You will need to purchase either ARC-XT or ProScan software. I use ARC-XT Basic. The only drawback with the BCD325P2 is its short battery life. It uses only 2 AA Cells. The other 2 Uniden scanners in order of cost are the BCD436HP and SDS100. Both require the DMR upgrade. They use free Sentinel programming software provided by Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.