• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

How to Protect Yourself From Big Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
10101010-Caution! For the privacy nuts only!-10101010 :lol:

I recommend this as it is exactly what I do now in certain circumstances.

I actually think it would make sense to use encryption in a limited way! If one was really paranoid of the NSA grabbing information from them or someone else taking a peek at their privacy, encryption actually isn't the answer!

Why you ask? Well the NSA funnels in a lot of data and their fundamental technique is to gather data in flagged particular events, it seems. So in layman's terms, flag the names Al Jafar, a particular network IP address, or if there is any form of encryption used.

IMO~ My answer would be to use a simple Caesar cypher in your E-mail to write particular concerns relevant to your privacy. IE: Paragraph here a paragraph there.(1) Its very crude and easy to crack.(2) but it shows no signs of any digital manipulation that took place.(3) Thus bypassing a possibility of being flagged. Also, if you fear the network admin. or some other monkey has been, or is reading your E-mails, they probably are. Because you don't have control where the data goes after you press [send] and through what servers. Also, for all you know your traffic is or has been intercepted by the kid next door. Of course an asymmetrical encryption technique could be deployed but wait, there may be a man in the middle!

Well, I just now gave the NSA a bigger headache as they would now have to add such a tactic to their huge sht list of flaggings. As I don't think their looking for Caesar cypherings across the Intent or other mediums.:twisted:

I think this really puts the whole NSA hoopla into perspective. They have a lot of traffic to analyze and there is no way that you are probably their target. IE: They have bigger fish to catch.

-Foot Notes.

(1)- I have a program to do this.

(2)- One time pad.

(3)- There are other ways of hiding messages. This is writing a message and hiding it amongst a picture.(1) However, MIT has did an experiment to find those with particular probabilitys across the Internet. Who's to say NSA doesn't have this technique?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When one person knows a secret it remains a secret. Should he tell just one the world knows. TRUST NO ONE!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

83949 37693 46748 25485 84563 12905...

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
kb2vxa said:
When one person knows a secret it remains a secret. Should he tell just one the world knows. TRUST NO ONE!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

83949 37693 46748 25485 84563 12905...
And here I thoght those number stations were using one time pads for a reason. :lol:

I see you know about the Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine M3. :roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.