How to quickly scan a single quick key on the 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
The more I work with my 396XT, the more I wish there was a detailed training video. My question for today is... how can I have the unit scan a single quick key? Normally, the unit is scanning about 10-15 quick keys. How do I have the scanner just scan whats stored under a single quick key without locking out all of the other quick keys? Thanks

kk4eb

Assuming you have Quick Keys associated with Systems, simply press and Hold the Hold key while it is on the desired system. This will put it into the System Hold mode until the Hold key is pressed again.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Note that it will only hold the one system you are currently scanning. If you have multiple systems assigned to a SQK, you'll have to turn off all the other SQKs to do what you want.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
SQKs control Systems/Sites. If you have multiple Systems/Sites assigned to the same SQK, if you disable all other SQKs it will scan all the Systems/Sites assigned to the one you don't disable (unless they are locked out).

Channel Groups are not controlled by SQKs, they are controlled by Group Quick Keys (GQKs) and each system's channel groups are independently controlled. i.e. disabling GQK 7 for one system does not affect channel groups in any other system, even those also assigned to GQK 7.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully in future versions of firmware and/or scanners, Uniden will add an Enable All SQKs/Disable All SQKs menu option that can be reached quickly. To help us focus our attention on a SQK or two more easily.
If your scanner is connected to a computer, you can use software to do something like that.
In my program, Radio Manager Master XT, you can see what SQKs are enabled, and then toggle them all off or all on. You can also save a list of SQKs so that you can resume your normal scanning easily.
Radio Manager Master XT - Copyright © Ben Saladino www.Bensware.com

Happy Scanning,
Ben

W6KRU

Hopefully in future versions of firmware and/or scanners, Uniden will add an Enable All SQKs/Disable All SQKs menu option that can be reached quickly. To help us focus our attention on a SQK or two more easily.

Happy Scanning,
Ben

I'm not sure how that would be useful. I have over fifty SQKs and I would never want to turn them all on. I only run a few at a time and I can turn them off in a few seconds.

I would prefer an option to turn on all GQKs in a system.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the GQKs are just as easy as SQK to turn on and off. ???

Last edited:

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
QK Confusion

So with the 396XT, there are quick keys that enable/disable each system and then there are QK's within the system that allow you to enable/disable the different agencies?

Apologizing in advance for hijacking the OP's thread even though the question is about the topic. My 396XT is coming Wednesday and I'll probably clearly see the answer to my question once it's in my hands but I'm going to ask anyway just so I can sleep at night.

With the 330T, I had 10 quick keys set up for each type of service broken down by city or area. If I just wanted to monitor the Knox County Sherriff Dept, I'd turn on QK 2 and turn off all the rest. Click23 was nice enough to send me his Freescan file for my city and other surrounding towns but his is set up different.

For example, he has all the agencies (Police, Fire, EMS) within Knox County in that one trunked system (QK2) which is a lot more streamlined than my setup. Using his setup, if I "quickly" wanted to monitor the Knox County Fire Dept, are you all saying that there are quick keys within that system that can shut off the other agencies?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For trunked systems, SQKs turn on and off sites (basically the scanner's representation of the radio towers and the frequencies used by the system). At least one site needs to be enabled for the system to be scanned. GQKs turn on/off groups of channels...that could be defined by you either geographically (by city) or functionally (by type of agency) or by some combinaiton of the two.

For conventional systems, SQKs turn on/off the entire system. GQKs turn on/off groups of channels (see above).

Status
Not open for further replies.