how to record with bcd996p2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky43113

i was wonder if it was possible for my bcd996p2 to record audio only when a certain group keys up for example local fire dept .. i have everything added and all quick keys are set up

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The 996P2 does not have any native recording capability. You could, though, connect a voice activated recorder via the external speaker jack. With this, however, you would be recording all the audio your scanner receives.

I'm not sure if/how scanner control software handles recording, as I only use the software to program

lucky43113

The 996P2 does not have any native recording capability. You could, though, connect a voice activated recorder via the external speaker jack. With this, however, you would be recording all the audio your scanner receives.

I'm not sure if/how scanner control software handles recording, as I only use the software to program

according to their user guide it does and i saw the option in the software just not sure how to set it up

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As long as DMR systems are not in use, FreeSCAN would also work.

Just remember that in using the pc and software to record, audio is not recorded via the USB cable. Instead, use an audio patch cable to feed transmissions from the scanner to the mic, or line, input of your pc's sound card.

lucky43113

As long as DMR systems are not in use, FreeSCAN would also work.

Just remember that in using the pc and software to record, audio is not recorded via the USB cable. Instead, use an audio patch cable to feed transmissions from the scanner to the mic, or line, input of your pc's sound card.

ah ok thanks

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
according to their user guide it does and i saw the option in the software just not sure how to set it up

Ah, I see the issue. When I say "native," I'm referring to the scanner actually doing the recording. The 996P2 does not have the capability. It does, however, allow you to select which channels to record. Recording must still be done by an external device.

In FreeScan, it's a setting under "Tape Out" you'll want to look for. Select "marked" for recording only the channels that you'll select later.

The attached image is one that I found online, as I don't have a copy of FreeScan installed on my current PC. Other programming software should allow you to do the same thing, as will programming manually.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 410

lucky43113

i got it working thanks guys the only thing is while recording I can not hear it but thats not a big deal i can just use an external speaker to fix that. Im a ufo investigator and when im out on an investigation i like the option of having this scanner record while im gone to see if i pick up any air traffic that could be related like military etc..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i got it working thanks guys the only thing is while recording I can not hear it but thats not a big deal i can just use an external speaker to fix that. Im a ufo investigator and when im out on an investigation i like the option of having this scanner record while im gone to see if i pick up any air traffic that could be related like military etc..
The exact setting, and it's location, will depend on your systems sound card and it's options.

On my pc, there is a setting to mute the speakers when recording. Check your audio settings and make sure that option (might be labeled different) is not selected.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Also, if the 996P2 has an audio 'line out' jack on the back panel, use that for recording instead of the headphone/speaker jack (I don't own this model, so unsure if it has a rear jack).

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I just like my PROSCAN better than FREESCAN plus I am using DMR P25 Phase 1 and 2.
I was just making you aware of something else and I am also running it 8 times on 8 different scanners on the same PC at the same time. I can sit at my Fire Station and do anything to my scanners that I can do at my scanner desk.

lucky43113

I just like my PROSCAN better than FREESCAN plus I am using DMR P25 Phase 1 and 2.
I was just making you aware of something else and I am also running it 8 times on 8 different scanners on the same PC at the same time. I can sit at my Fire Station and do anything to my scanners that I can do at my scanner desk.

nice ill check into it

Status
Not open for further replies.