• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to remove volume knob from an XTS5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

For the life of me I can not get the volume knob off the radio, it almost feels as if it's glued on. I saw snarlingbiddog's video on YouTube of him removing the knob and it just popped right off. I even followed instructions from the Manual via this link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1295475/Motorola-Astro-Xts-5000-I.html?page=71 and I still can't get it off.

Anybody have some tips and tricks to get it off?

duffy109

Premium Subscriber
For the life of me I can not get the volume knob off the radio, it almost feels as if it's glued on. I saw snarlingbiddog's video on YouTube of him removing the knob and it just popped right off. I even followed instructions from the Manual via this link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1295475/Motorola-Astro-Xts-5000-I.html?page=71 and I still can't get it off.

Anybody have some tips and tricks to get it off?

Getting it off will damage how it’s put on so best to have a replacement knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiremanSparky

I have used the XTS 3000/5000 series public safety mic rf adapter wrench to remove 4 original knobs and replace them with FDNY knobs without damaging either the knob or the insert. I place the wrench at the base of the knob (it will be angled somewhat) to be removed and slowly and carefully wiggle it side to side until it comes off. Hope this helps.

Danny37

I have used the XTS 3000/5000 series public safety mic rf adapter wrench to remove 4 original knobs and replace them with FDNY knobs without damaging either the knob or the insert. I place the wrench at the base of the knob (it will be angled somewhat) to be removed and slowly and carefully wiggle it side to side until it comes off. Hope this helps.

I don't have that tool, I'm wondering if I could use an adjustable wrench to achieve the same thing.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
It's a royal pain in the rear.....

I own 3 XTS 3Ks which are identical to the 5Ks. in this respect. In fact, both use the same knob insert. I replaced two of the radios' knobs with FDNY knobs. The only thing I can tell you is that if you don't have a removal tool of any kind, order some inserts and pry the knobs off with a set of pliers. Just a quick snug grip and pull straight up. I did it and the shafts were not damaged. As long as you don't super-grip it, it will be fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-X...081925&hash=item520615d3e6:g:IyMAAOSw0BNakHse

Manny

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I use a small, like jewelers . flathead screwdriver, with a wide enough tip, and gently pry around the side in a circle until it's up enough to use my fingernail. Old knobs, and Moto plastic in general, gets brittle and crumbles, so if that happens, you should have a new one handy to put in it's place. Indicators that the knb will crumble doing this, is if it is matte finish, or has a white grey haze layer. Newer shiny oily looking knobs stay pliable.

+!) on the FDNY knobs, you can yank those off by just tugging on them.

Paul

Danny37

thank you gents, i was able to do it with pliers and wiggle it side to side and it popped off. i did put a towel over the knob to not damage it any further and it worked.

Danny37

im shocked at how easy it is to turn the volume knob now. I was able to get my hands on a non oem FDNY knob and the ease of turning the knob really makes a difference. It looks and feels oem and even feels like it has a rubbery/hard plastic texture to it. Looks great on the unit!

laythrom

Premium Subscriber
im shocked at how easy it is to turn the volume knob now. I was able to get my hands on a non oem FDNY knob and the ease of turning the knob really makes a difference. It looks and feels oem and even feels like it has a rubbery/hard plastic texture to it. Looks great on the unit!

Hey Danny37...where did you end up getting the FDNY knob?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I got my OEM FDNY knobs with the white insert, as well as fake ones from eBay ($30), that are just one block of plastic. They work equally well, the fake ones are a bit easier to tug off and swap onto another radio.

Paul

Danny37

Hey Danny37...where did you end up getting the FDNY knob?

On eBay, they're hard to come by. I would set up email notification for listing like "FDNY knob Motorola" so when you get an email you can buy it right away. I got it for about $25, compared it to my friends oem and it looks and feels the same. I asked the seller if he had more and he said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.