How to renew a long expired license

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_d_

Premium Subscriber
Hi, pretty new to Radio Reference and have just gotten back into scanning after retirement. I have a question or two about getting an amateur license.
Many years ago, when I was young, I passed the test for Novice and rec'd my license. Did not ever get a chance to use it, as life has a way of changing your plans, lol.
Now that I am retired, I have been thinking about getting back into it. I read something about Novice being a grandfathered class, how exactly would this work? There is a club in my hometown should I contact them? If there is anything on RR could someone point me to a relevant site?

Any info or advice is truly appreciated.

Thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago, when I was young, I passed the test for Novice and rec'd my license. Did not ever get a chance to use it, as life has a way of changing your plans, lol.

Any info or advice is truly appreciated.

If the license was not renewed prior to expiration you will need to take the test again and start over.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If the license was not renewed prior to expiration you will need to take the test again and start over.
Not entirely true. There is a two year grace period.

However, it sounds like the OP has long passed the two years. Here is a lot of info on prior credit, etc. Doesn't sound like Novice gets any prior credit. I think grandfathered in your reading of it means that Novice licenses can renew forever (if still valid/2 year grace), but no new Novice licenses are issued (now it is just Tech, General, Extra).

KB1VLA

Passing the current Technician exam will actually give you more privileges than the old Novice class license, so it would be much easier and beneficial to just take a tech exam that trying to renew a Novice license.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The technician test is 35 questions. No code anymore. I would suggest contacting a radio club in your area or information on testing and possibly classes. Lots of test/classes which offer a license in a day. In the old days novice licenses were good for one year and not renewable. I think, as has been suggested, that you will find a technician license will give you many more privileges than you old novice license did.

Good luck and welcome back.

Status
Not open for further replies.