• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to replace a Firestik firering with PL 259

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglachel

Premium Subscriber
I ordered two nine foot Firestik coax cables for my CB setup. I wasn't thinking which resulted in me ordering two coax cables that both had firerings. I need to cutoff one firering and replace it with a PL 259 connector in order to put a SWR meter in between the two cables. I know this will probably require some soldering, which I've never done before.

If anyone could give me a walk through on how to do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

DaveJacobsen

I wouldn't cut the coax at the firering side -- use the coax as is and put the meter at the other end of it (which should be a standard 259....) to your swr meter, then a jumper cable to your radio.

Especially if you haven't made cables before, avoid cutting a made cable as you can introduce shorts easily, or loose/noisey connections.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Dave is correct. Though it would appear you need the 18' length to reach from your antenna to the CB.
If you decide to remove the firering from one cable and install a PL259 you can go to YouTube and
there you will find a number of videos on how to install a PL259. Just note you will need to get the
right cable adapter for the PL259. Either one that fits the RG58 or RG59 coax cable. These are the
most popular coax cables for CB use. As Dave mentions shorts between the center conductor and
outer braid are most common if installation is not done right. Before you solder anything always
check with an Ohm meter that nothing is shorted in your cable and that you have continuity end
to end for the inner and outer conductors. And then check again after soldering.
On the other hand it may just be better for you to purchase a second coax cable of same kind, but
with the PL259 connectors already installed.

anglachel

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. It's getting installed in a Jeep Wranger YJ. I'm not sure exactly where I will install the antenna; even if it will be permanent. I have a quick release mount that I will use (I know it will have to be grounded).

I have a soft top so I plan on making everything removable. I know it sounds inconvenient but I don't want my things stolen, especially since they were a gift. My Jeep has already been broken into once last year. I guess they were looking for my dash cam but I obviously don't keep anything really valuable in there.

TxDoc

GET SOME RG-8X Coax off Amazon with the PL 259 ends on it and the Firestik K4A stud mounts. You'll be set to go . If you don't have an SWR meter, get one to tune your antennas to radio.

The Firestik Fire Ring is a gimmick to make installation seem easy. Having dealt with is ask design for years, which is demonstrated by Firestik' s refusal to warranty it and it's inherent failure within months, don't buy it. Failure at the solder point at the coax termination and the ring is the weak point and a bad design.

Stick with the shielded vid coax and connectors above and you'll have years of reliable service and maximum signal reception and transmission.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

TxDoc

Left out, Firestik makes a quick disconnect for their antennas, i.e., FS2,, than you press and twist for easy on/off. You may want a 3 inch heavy duty spring for 4 foot lengths. If your antenna is a Firestik with the rubber cap on the end---each time you adjust the screw to set Tue SWR, replace the cap to re check your SWR, it makes a difference. If you don't believe it, try it both ways.

TxDoc

Sorry, left out, the antenna MOUNT has to be grounded, whereas the antenna itself, has to be ISOLATED, not grounded.

w0fg

You don't need 2 18' cables for an install in anything as compact as a YJ. Just run to your local truck stop//farm-fleet store and buy a 2' jumper cable to use with the SWR meter.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'm just going to add some experiences to this. Once upon a time Firestik used to make a rear bumper mount for the YJ/TJ platform.

Their fender mount option is a fairly stiff mount and a good option for Wranglers. I've used it on one Wrangler but it was way overkill for what I was using it for. My opinion, Firestik is full of firewater on a 95% of the products.

My antenna suggestions are a either a Larsen or Maxrad NMO antenna cut for 27 MHz using a traditional NMO mount mounted on a straight bracket (very similar to the Firestik offering but much cheaper) on the fender. One of the easiest, cheapest, and best performing solutions for Wranglers.

cmdrwill

My antenna suggestions are a either a Larsen or Maxrad NMO antenna cut for 27 MHz using a traditional NMO mount mounted on a straight bracket (very similar to the Firestik offering but much cheaper) on the fender. One of the easiest, cheapest, and best performing solutions for Wranglers.

Almost exactly, using the Comtelco CB1800 made for CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.