How to scan the SC Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
SCHP - on low band- high band VHF ?

Is the low band and VHF system used at all these days? I am planning a trip to SC, should I program the VHF system or just program the 800 system?

Thankis

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Horry County way (Myrtle Beach,etc.) NO LOWBAND......all on Palmetto 800 , which area you going to visit and what kind of scanner - coming this way I can send you a file depending on what scanner.....

crony803

A couple of questions about programming this into my BCD996T.

In order to listen to site 47 Newport (York County), I had to program the site as 800mHz Standard. The P25 option did not work. I am assuming that this is because there is no digital on the system???

I will travelling a bit throughout the state, specifically to Columbia this weekend, so I'll be listening to a few sites that have both analog and digital talkgroups. Do I still use the 800mHz Standard, or will I need to switch those sites to P25? Or worse, will I need the site set up twice- Once for digital, and another for analog?

I didn't think that P25 was tied to digital-only broadcasts, but since I don't have any experience on a hybrid system (yet) I am unsure of how this works with my scanner.

Lastly, there are a few digital 800mHz TAC channels that SC uses for mutual aid throughout the state. I've tried programming these into my scanner, however, it doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
All the current Uniden digital scanners have standard and P25. Use P25 only when the system is a pure P25 (in other words like York County and the new Charleston TRS - no analog traffic at all). Palmetto 800 is still a Moto standard 800 Mhz syetem. It carries analog and digital traffic at any of the sites (depending on the agencies and users in that site's area).

scottwayne

I have a model bc92xlt scanner,will this scanner pick up the highway patrol?If so i need the freq.for oconee county,south carolina.Thanks if someone can help!

Dayhiker

This may have already been covered. Is there a way to monitor the highway patrol in greenville south carolina with a non trunk 800 mhz scanner and if so what freq. do I need to set it too? I am able to monitor my Fire dept and oter agencies but I dont know exatly what a trunk scanner does.. Thanks...

Dayhiker
www.pbase.com/dayhiker

lugoffman

need some help

brian said:
The SC Highway Patrol uses the Palmetto 800 state-wide TRS for its primary communications across the state. Here's the link to the Palmetto 800 page in the Radio Reference Database.

Look at this map of SC showing interstates and county names to determine the counties you will pass close to our through on your route through the state.

On the Palmetto 800 page in the Radio Reference Database, find the coverage map for the system. Click on it to make it larger. The black dots represent tower sites, and most have names printed on the map. Use this map to choose the tower sites you'll want to program into your SCHP scanner bank, and then look lower down on the page to find the frequencies for the appropriate tower sites.

The SCHP is broken down into 7 geographic regions or troops. Look at the SCHP Troop Maps to determine which troops you'll pass through.

Then look at this Excel Spreadsheet that contains the channels (and talkgroups) for each SCHP troop. Program the talkgroups for each troop you'll pass through. Each troop uses 3 or 4 talkgroups for dispatch in individual counties in that troop. They also use a few talkgroups as TAC (talk-around) channels. Those are the most important ones to listen to, and you should create appropriate alpha-tags for each.
yes i see what u are talking about can u tell me which ones to program into my scanner for the schp for camden s.c and richland s.c i got a pro 97 handheld

bonus1331

Took the advice of the sticky on how to monitor the SCHP.
Taking a trip in 2 weeks from Charlotte down to Hilton Head.
77 to 26 to I-95.
Have the troops ands counties.
Then went to the map of Palmetto 800 sites and copied down the sites along the way.
However, some of the sites listed on the map, don't show as sites in the RR database.
Specifically,
York, Fairfield, Killian, Palmetto Center, Gaston, and Sandy Run and Walterboro.
Any advice on the above sites.
Heck, even better would be a UASD file with the whole "shebang".
Would be using the 396 due to P25 use with the TRS.
Thanks

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Sorry, I have GRE radios, so I can't help with a UASD file. P96 or P97 files I could help with.

Killian and Palmetto Center are no longer. They are now both cell 30, Richland simulcast along with Eastover.

Gaston is now part of cell 20 Lexington simulcast, including Lexington and Batesburg.

Sandy Run is cell #3 in Calhoun County.

Walterboro is site 10 Canadys and covers the northern part of Colleton County. Switch to cell 33 Yemassee for the southern part of Colleton.

Good luck.

bonus1331

Thanks guys.
I would assume the best way to program in the 396 is to set each site as it's own system and the give each system the same key #? (No multi-site function).

Nasby

This is by far one of the best reference guides to monitoring the highway patrol in a state. I am making a trip cross country and am looking at the forums/databases from the states I'll travel through. I wish they were all set up as concise and easy to understand as this one. Kudos to whoever developed and posted this info!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> I would assume the best way to program in the 396 is to set each site as it's own system ...

Yes - I would.

>> ... and the give each system the same key #? (No multi-site function).

I would not ... particularly if you will monitor any of the sites in "search" mode.

I know you'll burn alot of system quick keys, but it is alot easier to use the quick keys than to use the lock-out when you have a system that is:
a) too weak to be heard
b) has alot of non-target communications on it (ie. local PD, PW, etc)
c) is being received, but is not a site covering the troop you are traveling in

If you don't want to burn alot of SQKs, an abbreviated option is to group the sites by Troop number. For instance all sites in Troop 1 would be set under SQK 01. Troop 2 would be under SQK 02, etc.

bonus1331

jeffmulter said:
>> I would assume the best way to program in the 396 is to set each site as it's own system ...

Yes - I would.

>> ... and the give each system the same key #? (No multi-site function).

I would not ... particularly if you will monitor any of the sites in "search" mode.

I know you'll burn alot of system quick keys, but it is alot easier to use the quick keys than to use the lock-out when you have a system that is:
a) too weak to be heard
b) has alot of non-target communications on it (ie. local PD, PW, etc)
c) is being received, but is not a site covering the troop you are traveling in

If you don't want to burn alot of SQKs, an abbreviated option is to group the sites by Troop number. For instance all sites in Troop 1 would be set under SQK 01. Troop 2 would be under SQK 02, etc.

Like the second option better.
Great idea.
I need to get moving on the programming.
Thanks Jeff

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I might also suggest you do template systems for each troop, containing the talkgroups and settings you want for that particular troop.

Then, copy the template once for each site within the troop, giving it a location name, the particular control channels, etc.

I usually include the SQK and "P" in the system name, to distinquish it from any other systems with a similar name. For instance 04P Chester to distinquish it from a system for Chester Co. (I use "V" for NC Viper sites)

System and configuration templates can save alot of time over making a new system for each site, or when you're maintaining many of the same settings in the configuration files (custom searches, weather / SAME, etc.).

n4yek

brian said:
The SC Highway Patrol uses the Palmetto 800 state-wide TRS for its primary communications across the state. Here's the link to the Palmetto 800 page in the Radio Reference Database.

Look at this map of SC showing interstates and county names to determine the counties you will pass close to our through on your route through the state.

On the Palmetto 800 page in the Radio Reference Database, find the coverage map for the system. Click on it to make it larger. The black dots represent tower sites, and most have names printed on the map. Use this map to choose the tower sites you'll want to program into your SCHP scanner bank, and then look lower down on the page to find the frequencies for the appropriate tower sites.

The SCHP is broken down into 7 geographic regions or troops. Look at the SCHP Troop Maps to determine which troops you'll pass through.

Then look at this Excel Spreadsheet that contains the channels (and talkgroups) for each SCHP troop. Program the talkgroups for each troop you'll pass through. Each troop uses 3 or 4 talkgroups for dispatch in individual counties in that troop. They also use a few talkgroups as TAC (talk-around) channels. Those are the most important ones to listen to, and you should create appropriate alpha-tags for each.
I am traveling through your state in June, going down I-26 to I-95 into Florida. I am trying to build a UASD file for the 396T using your information. When I try to open the SCHP Troop Maps, I get nowhere. Any help finding this map someplace I can see it?
Also any ideas on how to lay this out, all I want to listen too is the SCHP.
Thanks in advance.
Edit: I now have my site locations, now I just need the troop map so I can see what troops are in a particular location. Any help with the map link above? I still can't access the map.

Last edited:

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
n4yek said:
I am traveling through your state in June, going down I-26 to I-95 into Florida. I am trying to build a UASD file for the 396T using your information. When I try to open the SCHP Troop Maps, I get nowhere. Any help finding this map someplace I can see it?
Also any ideas on how to lay this out, all I want to listen too is the SCHP.
Thanks in advance.
Edit: I now have my site locations, now I just need the troop map so I can see what troops are in a particular location. Any help with the map link above? I still can't access the map.

http://www.schp.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.