How to scan the SC Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Create a new TSYS object for Palmetto 800, just like you did for Horry Co. TRS, and put the control (red) and alternate control (blue) frequencies in as control channels. You'll probably want Site 38 Conway and SIte 61 NMB. The program the talkgroups for Troop 5, which covers Horry Co (Ch. 70)., Georgtetown/Williamsburg (Ch. 68), Darlington/Marlboro (Ch. 65), Florence (Ch. 67) Cos. Associate those with a scan list, and scan it. That should get you going. Most folks will program all of the Troop 5 tlakgroups, along with other state agency talkgroups for your area. But if you're only interested in SCHP for Horry Co., just program Ch. 70 (29328).

LarrySC

Excuse my reply. I thought you were looking for tower info. I didnt expect to find a Live Audio question on this forum.

derekc69

Premium Subscriber
schp?

I have a radioshack pro 106 what sites and talkgroups do i need to download for hp in the area of aiken county and edgefield

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe any of them are still up, not sure what happened to the providers. i personally find schp to boring to listen to. :)

Caesar, you need to spend more time here in Edgefield county! We still have people who try to outrun the HP like they never heard of that new-fangled invention called a radio ;):wink:

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Looks as if Greenwood Troop 2 has settled on one main talk group - TG 48944. They've been using that TG for the last week and a half and very little of the other "regulars".

Of course, ten minutes from now they'll change just to spite me. :roll:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Looks as if Greenwood Troop 2 has settled on one main talk group - TG 48944. They've been using that TG for the last week and a half and very little of the other "regulars".

Of course, ten minutes from now they'll change just to spite me. :roll:

I've noted that this talkgroup is still showing on my scanner (PSR-800) as patched most of the time. It's not always clear what it's patched to, but I think 7536, mostly. It's active from time to time on Site 19 Spartanburg Simulcast.

derekc69

Premium Subscriber
Schp

I'm trying to download freq for hp on my radioshack digital scanner and when I click on the troop I want to to download it says I need to pick a site(county) so how do I know which Frequency to download. Any help is appreciative

firefighter89

Has SCHP Greenwood changed talkgroups again? Talkgroup 7664 is active on the Greenville site with units referring to dispatch as "Greenwood".

Also, Horry County Jail Transport talkgroup 50864 is active on the Greenville site as well.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Has SCHP Greenwood changed talkgroups again? Talkgroup 7664 is active on the Greenville site with units referring to dispatch as "Greenwood".

Daily. Today is TG 48944. Set the scanner to search talk groups. Check with RR monthly to see if there are any additions to the local (to you) site (Pal 800 antenna). Sometimes extra frequencies and/or control channels have been added. Or, you could program your scanner to search for new control channels in your area and then match them to Pal 800 in the RR database. Add the new ones to your programming.
Also add the new talk groups appropriately.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Daily. Today is TG 48944. Set the scanner to search talk groups. Check with RR monthly to see if there are any additions to the local (to you) site (Pal 800 antenna). Sometimes extra frequencies and/or control channels have been added. Or, you could program your scanner to search for new control channels in your area and then match them to Pal 800 in the RR database. Add the new ones to your programming.
Also add the new talk groups appropriately.

This is correct, but to be accurate, the talkgroups don't really change. It's certainly true that some talkgroups are changing, and 48944 is one that's been added to the mix in Troop 2 recently. 7536, 7664, and 52176 are still in use, for now.

What you are experiencing is patched talkgroups. This allows one dispatcher to work multiple channels as if they are a single channel. And it lets all the troop 2 folks talk directly with each other regardless of what channel their radio is tuned to.

When the patch is established, one talkgroup is the designated "supergroup." This is the talkgroup that appears active on your scanner. This is what changes from time to time. Depending on how your radio handles patches, or how you have it set, will determine whether you'll hear traffic on a patched talkgroup or not.

The newer GRE scanners (PSR-500 and its equivalents and the PSR-800, maybe others) support patches, so that if the 4 talkgroups listed above are patched, you'll hear the traffic if you have any one of the four talkgroups programmed and scanned. I imagine newer uniden scanners offer similar support. Older scanners do not fare so well, and if you aren't scanning the talkgroup that's chosen as the "super-group" then you're not going to hear the traffic.

Status bits play in to this as well, but I won't muddy the waters with that.

Bottom line, if you want to hear SCHP Troop 2 reliably, program in 7536, 7664, 52176 and 48944 to ensure you hear all the traffic. Plus the tac channels, if you want to hear that too.

Brian

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Caesar, you need to spend more time here in Edgefield county! We still have people who try to outrun the HP like they never heard of that new-fangled invention called a radio ;):wink:

Did anyone catch the chase last Thursday night/Friday morning in Laurens / Newberry counties? Exciting! :)

iNickster

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program SCHP into my scanner, and I want to import that information from RadioReference. The area that I want to import into my scanner is Beaufort. I can not import the information myself because I am not a subscriber. Can someone get that information for me? I would like to have it in .CSV format if I could.

Thanks.

hntsgt

Agreed. Seems to be everyone is with different organizations/media formats... Carolina Fire Page, Breaking News Network, First Responder, Twitter etc.

angelofwar

I can pick up local LE/Fire/EMS (from Sumter), but how would I (If it's even possible) go about picking up SCHP Tx's on my RS Pro-160? Or do I need an upgrade? My Pro-160 is a SERIOUS upgrade from previous unit, and I'm still new to the radio world, but I'm just trying to piece all the lingo/technicalities together.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Welcome AngleofWar,
Yes, your scanner can pickup most analog trunking systems in your area. If any are digital, it will not receive them. Looking in the WIKI info pages about scanners, yours is a Uniden with a Radio Shack face on it.

Here's more info: Pro-160 - The RadioReference Wiki

Programming it shouldn't take long and you should be able to find a manual in wiki or on the RS website.

Good luck and happy listening,
Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.