How to scan the SC Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4e-1

Streaming Scanner Feed from Beaufort County?

Is there a reason why there is no streaming scanner feed from Beaufort County?

Is there a law in SC against that or is it just that no one has gotten around to setting one up?

I looked on RadioReference and didn't see one.

I'm using an Android radio scanner app and it gets it's source from there (mp3's format).

Perhaps there is one not in mp3 format for which a conversion app might be implemented at RadioReference or in the Android app?

Thanks!

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, and I'm sure there is a plausible answer, but how come most of the state (and a few Federal) agencies that are not SCHP, but, according to the database, have their own talk groups, but still use SCHP Special Operations channels when events occur?

Not complaining, cause I usually receive them because they use SCHP TGs. Just wondering...

Which brings up another question. Who or What assigns the talk groups to agencies in special events, disasters and emergencies? Is there a special group that immediately convenes and assigns talk groups? Or is it in spite of no group, a special ops group is quickly chosen?

Which then begs the question: that maybe the TGs are chosen weekly or monthly by the agencies themselves and posted like for instance, DHEC would say - we will use TG xxxx for emergencies for the month of July 2012?

Hmmmm?

kd4e-1

Does that mean that trying to scan is a waste of time because comms always switch to a scanner-unfriendly mode?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Does that mean that trying to scan is a waste of time because comms always switch to a scanner-unfriendly mode?

Actually, its easier IMHO, because these lesser known agencies flock to SCHP analog Talk Groups when there happens to be an "event" or emergency. I believe it makes for much better scanning. It also helps to have a digital scanner or two :D.

kd4e-1

So the lack of a radioreference.com streaming scanner from that area is unrelated to law or technology, it's just that no one has made one available ... yet?

I get that as I imagine the needed scanner is costly and the hardware and setup is all self-funded/volunteer.

Thanks for the clarification!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Late to the party, but...

It seems that the LE Common, Mutual Aid and Regional Government talkgroups are the primary "interop" talkgroups for most events/incidents statewide. That's where you're most likely to hear communications among different agencies. LE channels are obviously for LE ops/agencies, Reg Govt for interop among dispatch centers (between County and SHCP offices for example) and Mutual Aid channels for Fire/EMS/LE/EP operations.

Also, don't forget about the conventional 8TAC and SC 8TAC repeaters set up throughout the state.

The SCHP Special Ops talkgroups generally are used for SCHP functions like traffic control for Clemson and USC football games, among other events. But you really never know what might pop up. Scanning in open/wildcard mode is always a good idea.

W4EHS

Darlington County

I am trying to monitor Darlington County on the Palmetto 800 system and I am not receiving anything. I have doubled checked my frequencies and programming.

I am also monitoring/tuning in to the Broadcastify for Darlington County fire and have not herd any traffic in over an hour. Is the Darlington County part of the Palmetto system down or am I missing something?

I am using a BC 396t for my scanner.

Please let me know if there any secret to monitoring Darlington County

73 N1GSM
Nate

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to monitor Darlington County on the Palmetto 800 system and I am not receiving anything. I have doubled checked my frequencies and programming.

I am also monitoring/tuning in to the Broadcastify for Darlington County fire and have not herd any traffic in over an hour. Is the Darlington County part of the Palmetto system down or am I missing something?

I am using a BC 396t for my scanner.

Please let me know if there any secret to monitoring Darlington County

73 N1GSM
Nate

Most of Darlington's sheriff's office is encrypted according to the database. You should be able to pick up fire and some administrative talk groups, however.
Also, SCHP should be in the clear.

W4EHS

Ok I got Darlington's System to work!
I had originally programmed the system as Motorola type II trunk system, after reprogramming it as a Motorola Custom/P25 and editing the system band plan I can now here them crystal clear.
Below information is from Easier to Read BCD396T/UBCD396T Digital Scanner Manual band plan

For Custom (rebanded) Motorola Systems (Requires firmware 3.00 or newer) allows you to create a custom band plan for rebanded systems. Custom band plans require that you enter both a lower and an upper base frequency value. The lower base frequency (or base) is always the base frequency as provided in the Radio Reference Database. Use this Excel spreadsheet to calculate the upper base frequency value: CustomBandPlanCalculator.xls. If you don't have Excel you can download and install a viewer here. If you don't have the lower base frequency value, the Trunked Radio Systems User’s Page has an explanation on how to find it. Look for 'Determining Base and Offset Frequencies for the BC245xlt' by John C.
Scroll to 'Edit Band Plan' and press E/yes.
At 'Select Plan' scroll to 'Band Plan 1-6' and press E/yes.
At 'Set Base Freq' press E/yes.
At 'Input Lower' enter the lower base frequency and press E/yes.
At 'Input Upper' enter the upper base frequency and press E/yes.
Scroll to 'Set Offset' and press E/yes.
At 'Input Offset' enter the offset and press E/yes.
At 'Select Polarity' scroll to + or - and press E/yes.
Scroll to 'Set Spacing' and press E/yes.
Scroll to the step size and press E/yes.
Press 'Menu' to return and repeat for each band plan as needed. Press 'Menu' to return.

For standard Motorola 800 MHz rebanded systems you need to set Band Plan 1 and Band Plan 2 as follows:
Band Plan Lower Base Freq Upper Base Freq Offset Polarity Spacing
1 851.025 854.000 440 + 25 kHz
2 851.0125 868.9875 0 + 25 kHz

Bill28227

I use ARC500 to program my PRO-106 and 197 for the Palmetto 800 system. The scanners are used in the house and not the car. For the field called Multi-Site the options are Off, Roam, or Stationary. What should I use? Does it really matter? I assume the same setting can be used for the NC Viper system. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Bill

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
I know you have a few control frequencies to enter for SCHP and putting it in roam will scan all frequencies entered and if you hit F2 when it is talking you can determine the exact frequency closest you. Then, move that frequency up top using the arrows from the ARC500 frequency list will pick up that station then setting it to stationary will allow better reception. That is my believe, I have experimented with my radio some and also listen to Troop 3 of SCHP near Clemson.

If it picks up good, I would not bother with changing the settings.

Bill28227

I know you have a few control frequencies to enter for SCHP and putting it in roam will scan all frequencies entered and if you hit F2 when it is talking you can determine the exact frequency closest you. Then, move that frequency up top using the arrows from the ARC500 frequency list will pick up that station then setting it to stationary will allow better reception.
If it picks up good, I would not bother with changing the settings.

I did not know about the moving of the CC. Where I live, Lancaster County, There are 4 or 5 CC or different posts that I can hear. I want to get all their traffic. Therefore, I thought if I left it in Roam it would scan the other SCHP posts to find traffic. In Roam, does it scan all the CC I have programmed in?
Bill

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Roam causes the scanner to use the Hi and Low threshold settings to determine the "best" control channel to monitor, in terms of decoding percentage. The scanner scans the programmed frequencies in the TSYS object until it finds an active CC that meets the Hi Threshold. It will continue to monitor only that CC on every scan pass until that CC decode rate falls below the Low threshold setting. In this setting, the scanner only monitors 1 CC on each scan pass.

Stat causes the scanner to monitor each active CC that is found among the list of programmed frequencies for the TSYS. If you have multiple CCs programmed, it will monitor each one it can decode on each scan pass, regardless of signal strength. If you UNcheck the "Check all CCs on each Scan Pass" box, it will only monitor one CC, then scan other TSYS and conventional objects, then scan the next active CC, then scan the other TSYS and conventional objects, etc. This is for folks that don't want to eat up lots of "scan time" monitoring multiple CCs for one TSYS on each scan pass.

Off will cause the scanner to monitor the first CC it finds in the TSYS object's list of programmed CCs. It will monitor only this CC on each pass until it no longer recognizes it as a CC, at which time it will search for the next active CC. This is best used when only one of the frequencies programmed will be used as a CC at one time, ie a single site programmed.

It's true that different SCHP posts are carried on different sites, and most are carried on multiple sites. With a little listening, you can determine which posts are typically carried on each site. Then you can program accordingly.

These settings don't affect reception of any sites. But the Roam setting, along with appropriate threshold settings, can help minimize the chance that you'll monitor a site with a low decoding percentage, therefore make it seem like reception is better. If your goal is to listen to ALL sites within your range, then the Stat setting is what you want to use.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
SCHP 70 Horry

Was recently down in Myrtle Beach area and noticed that the Dispatcher on SCHP 70 sounded like they were digital, my scanner didn't indicate a patch and displayed a Radio ID, but the dispatcher sounded like they were digital, somehow,?

hpj3

Premium Subscriber
OK Folks... am new to this world and have hit a snag: have an BCT-8 trunk unit. Bought the premium service here, also the arc software for the -8. Here's the problem: opened the arc, hit internet then radioreference service. It then produces an error msg "no internet service detected" and then "check firewall settings". Turned off all firewalls, no difference. Can't find any config info in the arc program. What am I missing?
Am on a new Toshiba laptop, Windows 8. Have a good internet connection, everything else connects no problem...

Howard

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
You've got to set up a communication port, first. The ARC software will do it for you.

Under the heading of BCT-8, at the bottom of the drop down, should be "RS232 Communications Setup". Click on that and follow the prompts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.