How to scan Trunked frequencies e.g. Massachusetts State Police western mass

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1OQB

I just bought a BCD536HP. Using Sentinel software I created a favorite for State Police - Massachusetts State Police (Conventional) Troop B (Western Mass) and another for Massachusetts State Police (Motorola) - State Police Troop B - Western. I get nothing on either list when selected for scanning, even though I am hearing traffic for that troop through Broadcastify (Massachusetts State Police Dispatch Troop B). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way using the full database scan I am hearing traffic from all over, even from state police in new york.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a BCD536HP. Using Sentinel software I created a favorite for State Police - Massachusetts State Police (Conventional) Troop B (Western Mass) and another for Massachusetts State Police (Motorola) - State Police Troop B - Western. I get nothing on either list when selected for scanning, even though I am hearing traffic for that troop through Broadcastify (Massachusetts State Police Dispatch Troop B). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way using the full database scan I am hearing traffic from all over, even from state police in new york.
If you hear what you are looking for, using the full database, but not when scanning via a Favorites list, then there is some sort or error or omission of needed information in your Favorites list. Make sure that, in addition to the talkgroups you want in your Favorites list, that you also have the sites that are near you included in the system on your list.

KC1OQB

Actually I don't hear MSP at all using the full database. Never get a hit at all. The favorites list does include the site I am trying to scan. Thank you for the reply. It helps to consider all the possibilities.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Using Sentinel software I created a favorite for State Police - Massachusetts State Police (Conventional) Troop B (Western Mass) and another for Massachusetts State Police (Motorola) - State Police Troop B - Western.
Actually I don't hear MSP at all using the full database.

If your not getting anything on the fav list you created or the full database scan, fav list error can be ruled out for now.

What happens if you turn off the fav list and just scan the full database, and manually scroll to the State Police systems? Do you see any activity or signal strength?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please export and attach HPE files of your favorites lists so that we can check them. You will have to right click on the files and Send to Compressed (zipped) folders to be able to attach them. What is your city and county so that we can check for the proper sites? The state police in your area may have moved to the CoMIRS statewide P25 system. Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS) Trunking System, Regional, Massachusetts - Scanner Frequencies I suggest that you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the Massachusetts forum where members in your area will be able to answer that question.

Last edited:

KC1OQB

Thank you all very much! There was a link on an RR page that showed the MSP for western mass as using Motorola Type II SmartZone. The link above shows the P25 Phase II information. Now I just have to figure out how to add a new system into my scanner using that information. No rest for the weary! Thanks again!

KC1OQB

I am looking to scan MSP Troup B dispatch which covers our area. Using the information in the URL you provided above I entered a New Site into my scanner using the information provided here:Western Mass South Site Details (Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS)). I select site type as P25 Tunking, enter a site name, and enter the frequency as 853.9000. However, when I select that favorite to scan it says "Nothing to scan". Is there more information I need to add like department and channel? I don't see any way to enter the NAC for that site.

KC1OQB

By the way I have been working from the BCD536HP manual and trying alot of things before I post here. Not wasting your time. I only post if I am stuck.

ecps92

The farthest West that system covers is Springfield/Holyoke, west of that they are on the ComIRS P25 network
Thank you all very much! There was a link on an RR page that showed the MSP for western mass as using Motorola Type II SmartZone. The link above shows the P25 Phase II information. Now I just have to figure out how to add a new system into my scanner using that information. No rest for the weary! Thanks again!

jonsmth

I can't speak for the BCD536HP. I live in Peru, MA and use a Radio Shack PRO-668 converted to a Whistler WS-1080. I consistently hear Western Mass (Troop B) MSP on the COMIRS system (MSP-B-PTL-1) B1, B4, B5 and B8 and (MSP-B-PTL-2) B2, B3, B6, B7.

ecps92

But off of which Site/Zone aka Tower ??

I can't speak for the BCD536HP. I live in Peru, MA and use a Radio Shack PRO-668 converted to a Whistler WS-1080. I consistently hear Western Mass (Troop B) MSP on the COMIRS system (MSP-B-PTL-1) B1, B4, B5 and B8 and (MSP-B-PTL-2) B2, B3, B6, B7.

fredva

Feed Provider
I am looking to scan MSP Troup B dispatch which covers our area. Using the information in the URL you provided above I entered a New Site into my scanner using the information provided here:Western Mass South Site Details (Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS)). I select site type as P25 Tunking, enter a site name, and enter the frequency as 853.9000. However, when I select that favorite to scan it says "Nothing to scan". Is there more information I need to add like department and channel? I don't see any way to enter the NAC for that site.

You don't mention entering any talkgroups. I believe you need to either enter the talkgroups you want to listen to, or set the scanner to ID Search to find whatever talkgroups are coming across that site.

ecps92

NAC is not needed in the Scanner, but I would ensure all frequencies are added, as this is a 4 freq site and we only see one Control in RED it may have changed to one of the Blue Frequencies

tvengr

Well Known Member
I select site type as P25 Tunking, enter a site name, and enter the frequency as 853.9000.
You can't just enter a new P25 site on the Motorola system. You have to create a new P25 Standard trunked system. Do you have any programming software? If not, you can use FreeSCAN. Downloads - Sixspot Software It is FREE! Once again, what is your city and county so that we can help with sites?

KC1OQB

Status
Not open for further replies.