Sentinel: How to set up 2 Separate SDS100 Profiles With different Fav. Lists, in each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus2

Premium Subscriber
How can I set up two separate profiles that don’t mix the combined favorite lists when updating, and making changes to each of Two Uniden SDS Scanners in Sentinel, is it possible if so how?
Thank you

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
How can I set up two separate profiles that don’t mix the combined favorite lists when updating, and making changes to each of Two Uniden SDS Scanners in Sentinel, is it possible if so how?
Thank you
You can only have one copy of Sentinel on your PC at one time. Regardless of your Profile settings, all of your Favorites lists will be visible. If you delete a list from one profile, then you will no longer see it in any other profile.

For your individual profiles, for separate machines, you can specify which lists are are to be downloaded and monitored for each scanner. But you will still see the full listing of Favorites lists in any profile. Any editing to one of your lists would still be accessible when in a different Profile.

sfb88

I don't have enough computer knowledge to know if this idea will work but maybe others here do. If you set up multiple virtual machines on a PC, are they isolated enough to each run an instance of Sentinel with its own profile and favorites lists? Can each VM have access to the PC's hardware ports so that a scanner could be accessed?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You have many options.

Easiest way to to set Monitor to Off (Download On) to the Favorites Lists you do not want to be active in a given Profile. (Monitor Off means the Favorites List is there, but not active. You never know if you need a scanner to take place of another due to problems.)

A little more "human memory intensive" is to assign Configuration/Start up keys. You can actually use the same Profile with this method. With the configuration keys you can assign Favorites Lists that you would have in one Profile to Startup key 1. Then assign the Favorites Lists that would have in the other Profile to Startup Key 2.

I used to do separate Profiles for traveling purposes. Now that I have gotten more comfortable with configuration/startup keys, I have one big Profile. For trip A, I'll one config/startup key and trip B a different config/startup. There is also a third config/startup too, it is for home area. (A Favorites List can be assigned to more than one config/startup.)

If you want a Favorites List to be in multiple Profiles, but do different things (such as Department A Off in one, but on in another profile), that isn't gonna happen.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The 'technically correct' way to do this is to have the FL you do not want in a scanner set
to DOWNLOAD OFF. That way it does not take time writing something you do not want.

Profile 1:
FL 1 DL ON
FL 2 DL ON
FL 3 DL OFF
FL 4 DL OFF

Profile 2:
FL 1 DL OFF
FL 2 DL OFF
FL 3 DL ON
FL 4 DL ON

That is how you have two profiles with different FLs sent to a scanner in Sentinel.

As was mentioned, all FLs will be visible and available for any profile in Sentinel.

BTW, I made the same mistake many make when Sentinel first came out.
I thought each profile had its own set of FLs.
It took a while until I found this was not the case.

Other programs use the term "profile" differently.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I know this is a "to each his own" situation.

My thoughts are to have the download On, but MONITOR Off or On depending on which FLs are desired. Download Off means the Favorites List is NOT written to the scanner. Monitor Off means the list is written, but turned Off.

That way, if you need/wish/desire for a FL that is Monitor Off to become usable, it is still in the scanner. For example, one scanner is broken and you need something fast.

Cactus2

Premium Subscriber
I know this is a "to each his own" situation.

My thoughts are to have the download On, but MONITOR Off or On depending on which FLs are desired. Download Off means the Favorites List is NOT written to the scanner. Monitor Off means the list is written, but turned Off.

That way, if you need/wish/desire for a FL that is Monitor Off to become usable, it is still in the scanner. For example, one scanner is broken and you need something fast.

I wish to thank all who replied to my question I believe I figured it out via turning off and on the favorites list that are saved. I appreciate again the assistance and I love this forum, be well fellow Scanner Users. The SDS100 is Amazing.

Ubbe

You can only have one copy of Sentinel on your PC at one time.
You can have as many as you wish. After the initial install of Sentinel, the one you have now, change the start icons name on the desktop to something like SDS100_cactus1. Then install Sentinel a second time but when it show what install folder to use you change that to SDS100_cactus2 and continue the install. Rename the start icon to SDS100_cactus2. Now you will have two independent Sentinels with their own favorite lists that don't interact with the other Sentinel install. That also goes for the database so you will have to download the database from each Sentinel copy.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can have as many as you wish. After the initial install of Sentinel, the one you have now, change the start icons name on the desktop to something like SDS100_cactus1. Then install Sentinel a second time but when it show what install folder to use you change that to SDS100_cactus2 and continue the install. Rename the start icon to SDS100_cactus2. Now you will have two independent Sentinels with their own favorite lists that don't interact with the other Sentinel install. That also goes for the database so you will have to download the database from each Sentinel copy.

/Ubbe

I presume you would have to have multiple/different Sentinel locations set in the Tools tab? Each time you update the full database, you have do do that for each iteration of Sentinel? I suppose you'd have to be very careful

Ubbe

I presume you would have to have multiple/different Sentinel locations set in the Tools tab? Each time you update the full database, you have do do that for each iteration of Sentinel? I suppose you'd have to be very careful
It should automatically change the location in the tool tab to what you selected as install folder during installation. It's your own personal choice what you do to each install as they have all settings and databases totally separated.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.