How to set up trunk88

Status
Not open for further replies.

oft

Premium Subscriber
I need help setting up trunk 88. I downloaded the software, connected the serial port to the scanner and from here I can not get anything to work. The instructions are lame and I really do not completely understand how to configure my BCD396XT to the software.

(1): I want to look at NC VIPER

(2): Can the USB cable work with trunk88?

SCPD

QRT
I really do not completely understand how to configure my BCD396XT to the software
Looks like Andy added support for XT models with version 4.79

4.79 - Trunk88.com

The above instructions may help.

I *think* you need to program the system into your XT and have the radio hold onto the control channel or disable all sites but the one you wish to monitor and have the radio scan a talkgroup or radio ID that doesn't actually exist on the system. That will cause the radio to stay put on the control channel.

Andy will likely reply soon.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Andy has been under the weather with the flu I believe.

oft: I use Trunk88 on VIPER daily (in fact I used it earlier this afternoon).

Few things to check out:
1) Make sure your computer "sees" the cable as a comport.
I don't know what version of Windows you are using but you need to make sure
the computer sees the cable and has assigned it a com port.
2) Once you know what Comport your cable has you need to open "TRUNK88.CTL" in notepad and look for the line "CC Data Serial Port =". Add your comport number to the end of that line and select File->save so that it looks something like this:
izVU4.png

3) On your 396XT navigate to Menu->settings->Set C-CH Output->Set the output to "On" and NOT Extend.
3) On your 396XT you must have the local VIPER Control Channel programmed into a system and unlocked. Program the local VIPER CC into a system then "hold" on the CC. You should see the Site info alternate on the top line if you are in the right spot.
You may wish to turn the volume down so you don't have to hear the CC data noise.
4) Double click on the T88.exe and the Program should start to pickup the data coming from the 396XT and show you the activity on the local site:
w9Nxr.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

oft

Premium Subscriber
Marshall:

Thanks for your help. I had everything setup right except for the part where you had stated

"On your 396XT navigate to Menu->settings->Set C-CH Output->Set the output to "On" and NOT Extend. "

I had assumed that since the unit could automatically communicate via the FreeScan that it could communicate with the TRUNK88. Once I set the c-ch output, It seems I had made some progress.
However, if you can see the file attachment, I still seem to have a slight configuration problem in reference to the system type. I went in to the C508.CTL via notepad and did not see a reference to any "65535" to change out and try any of the other options. Maybe it's in another file and if so, which option would i select?

Between this potential issue, user familiarity (that should improve when i can read the documentation), and the fact that Sunday nights are usually slow, I did not pick up much in the 20 minutes I ran the program in the black section of the screen except for

Talkgroup name = MSEL 1073
tgid# 1073
(i forgot to write down the rid)

Even though I was locked on the control channel and was picking up some normal tgid's for my area such as 17200 and 21856 showing up on the 396xt, they did not record anywhere on the screen. Is this normal?

I am still wondering if I can use the USB cable with Trunk88? I used the serial cable for my connections.

Thanks for your help and progress has been made,

oft.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 1,955

slicerwizard

No-one has asked for it or sent me the specs. Or offered to test an implementation.

And what's the point exactly? To tie up an expensive radio as a CC source?

SCPD

QRT
No-one has asked for it or sent me the specs.
The current firmware supports two channels at 18,000 samples per second.

Details in the Bitstream thread in this forum.

A future version may support 1 channel at 92,160 samples per second, two channels at 46,080, four channels at 23,040 samples per second.

And what's the point exactly? To tie up an expensive radio as a CC source?
The point is to free up one or more audio inputs for things like recording or online streaming. The radio can be a cheap conventional scanner or a Maxtrac or whatever provides discriminator audio.

slicerwizard

I guess I just don't see the point. USB sound dongles and hubs are dirt cheap (a couple of bucks) at DealExtreme and can easily be repurposed (for streaming or whatever). $20 gets you four 96 kHz inputs and a hub - what more do folks want?

The dongles don't even need discriminator audio to yield perfect decoding. That's stock headphone jack audio.

Attachments

• BitBooster.jpg
    BitBooster.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,233

SCPD

QRT

slicerwizard

Attachments

• Flat Audio.jpg
    Flat Audio.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,725

SCPD

QRT
The crappy hardware I tested was limited to 44100 kHz only and the driver's volume / level controls were broken.

Do you know whether these support 96k natively or is Windows quietly transcoding sample rates in the background (at a small CPU penalty)?

Status
Not open for further replies.