How to skip P25 ENC conversations

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon, everyone.

I've been enjoying my 396T quite a bit, but haven't quite figured out how to make the unit "skip" those ENCrypted transmissions on P25 systems.

I've tried the "Data Skip" option, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Does anyone have a sugestion on how I might configure the 396T to skip ENCrypted communications?

Thanks, and 73's

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Does that channel has other talking on it? If so they might have different P/L or DPL tones. I haven't seen ENC on VHF/UHF yet. I don't think Data Skip will not work think that cuts down the birdies from another town.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Howdy, Bravo14!

I should add some information on how I listen! I'm hearing this P25 ENCrypted traffic on a particular talkgroup, which also contains standard voice traffic.

The system I'm listening to is a Motorola Type 2 800MHz. system, which has some talkgroups that contains P25 traffic, as well as analog voice traffic which isn't encrypted.

I could just do a l/o on that talkgroup, but I don't want to miss the analog traffic on the TG!

73's

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Hey, DaveIN!

Actually, it's the Sarpy County system I'm referring to! The TGID is 39256 and, since I am listening in ID SEARCH mode, the long-winded ENC traffic on that TG causes my scanner to stay there, instead of being able to listen to other traffic.

As with your situation, I hear approx. 100ms of encrypted "noise" before the ENC comes up and mutes the speaker.

It would be nice if you could set a per-System option for the scanner to skip those ENC transmissions - you can't listen to them anyway!

73's

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well then, I was thinking you were talking about it not skipping at all. That is the nature of the ENC skip. It has to see the status bit before it skips the audio. If you listen to the same talkgroup with the PRO-96/2906 it would NOT mute the audio at all. If it's a problem talkgroup and no "clear" traffic is on that talkgroup, then I would just lock-out the talkgroup.

Last edited:

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Hey, DaveIN!

Yep - what's happening is the 396T will lock-on to said talkgroup, pop-up the ENC flag on the LCD, mute the audio, and just "hang" on that TG for the duration of the communication - it won't continue on to other traffic.

Again, this isn't so much of an issue, except they run both "clear" voice and the ENC traffic on that TG.

In my thinking, the 396T should find a TG running ENC, realize that the traffic is ENCrypted, and move on.

As I said before, we can't listen to that traffic anyway, so there's no sense in dwelling on that TG for any significant length of time.

Maybe it's a function of the fact that I'm running in ID SEARCH, rather than ID SCAN mode. I like the ID SEARCH mode because I can listen to the TGs I have programmed in addition to finding new ones to listen to.

73's

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Unless you lock out the talkgroup it will continue to seach/scan that talkgroup. The radio does not know to skip the talkgroup even if it has encrypted traffic, only block out the audio.

rfaricy

If Data Skip would block ENCrypted channels, it would block regular digital channels as well. DSKP doesn't listen to audio output for data, it listens to RF modulation.

It would be a nice firmware feature, though, to block ENCrypted channels, so that whenever it stopped and displayed that, it would stop and scan past it.

JoeyC

If this is a 3600baud system, turn OFF the status bit option and exclude the Talkgroup +8 thru +15 talkgroups where encrypted traffic would occur. Your scanner will stop on the unencrypted stuff and bypass the encrypted. With this method you should be able to listen to the unencrypted stuff even on the same TG where some units operate in encrypted mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.