How To Start A Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

I don't have time to look through 100's of threads and the search isn't coming up with anything helpful. I would like to create a Wiki on NYC Fleet Week radio frequencies and would just simply like to know the step by step instructions on how to start it? This website is kind of confusing and I am not sure how to create a Wiki page so that everyone else can view it/edit it as needed. When I click on the Wiki link, I do NOT see anything saying "Create a New Page". So any help is appreciated. Thank you.

ecps92

Wiki Help - The RadioReference Wiki

I don't have time to look through 100's of threads and the search isn't coming up with anything helpful. I would like to create a Wiki on NYC Fleet Week radio frequencies and would just simply like to know the step by step instructions on how to start it? This website is kind of confusing and I am not sure how to create a Wiki page so that everyone else can view it/edit it as needed. When I click on the Wiki link, I do NOT see anything saying "Create a New Page". So any help is appreciated. Thank you.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
On the Wiki main page in the search box type" NYC Fleet Week".
And, the Wiki software will tell you that article doesn't exist. However, the last line of that screen will say "Create the page "NYC Fleet Week" on this wiki!".

We prefer that Wiki articles retain the same look and feel of the other Wiki articles. And, we also ask that all Wiki articles are linked to from some other article so that we don't have orphans. And we ask that you use Categories to make it easier for folks to find your article.

For example, you should probably title the article "New York City Fleet Week" and link to it from the main New York City article.

QDP2012

...For example, you should probably title the article "New York City Fleet Week" and link to it from the main New York City article.

Perhaps the municipal-style page-name "New York City (NY) Fleet Week" would be better, so it does not get confused with the many TRS pages.

Just a thought,

Edit: Also...

...the Category:Wiki Editing FAQ lists the articles that might be useful resources for Wiki-editors. Three that might be of immediate interest are:

Quick guide to editing pages

RR Wiki User's Guide

RR Wiki Extensions

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Analogrules

Thanks guys. I just followed all the steps you gave me, hit "Save" and then got a message saying "You don't have access to edit this page" and lost everything. What a waste of time! I give up on this crap. If someone else wants to do it, then that would be great. This site should make adding info to the Wiki just as easy as submitting info to the DB.

Analogrules

I am not logged on now, but I was logged into Wiki when submitting the information. Maybe I will give it one more shot. So basically, I log in, go to the NYC page link, do the search, click create new page, type in the information/frequencies, and click on Save when I am done?

QDP2012

I am not logged on now, but I was logged into Wiki when submitting the information. Maybe I will give it one more shot. So basically, I log in, go to the NYC page link, do the search, click create new page, type in the information/frequencies, and click on Save when I am done?

For your convenience, here is the direct link to the page you want to create/edit. Just click this link, log-in, then click the "create" button in the left navigation column (shows up after you login), and start adding content, and save.

New York City (NY) Fleet Week

The above link is now on the New York City (NY) page, so your page will not be an orphan..

I am assuming you are logging in to the Wiki using the login field that is in the left navigation column of any Wiki page, under "Personal Tools", not the one at the top of the screen (database) nor the one on the right (forums).

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Analogrules

QDP, thank you very much. This was very helpful. I think all I needed was to figure out how to get to the place to start. I believe I put in most of the info from the past few years, however please feel free to edit/organize better. Thanks again. 73

QDP2012

N2ZGE, You're certainly welcome, and Thanks for contributing to the Wiki! I made three minor changes -- added a section heading showing your data is for Year 2017, applied a table-template for more of a column-style list, and added categories to the page.

Next Year, if you wish, you (or anyone else) can simply create a new heading at the top of the page for Year 2018's data and add that data above what you already posted.

There are a lot of folks here who are glad to help you with Wiki editing if you bump into something later on. Feel free to post your questions in this forum.

Thanks again for contributing to the Wiki,

Status
Not open for further replies.