How to Structure and organize banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

buliv

Now that I have my first decent scanner, a Pro 95. How do I begin the task of keeping this stuff organized?

I have 1,000 frequencies with 10 banks. Not being a structured person, I am curious on how experienced members keep track of everything. Fire, Police, EMA, MABAS, etc etc.

Thanks,
Bill

W2PMX

I keep things separated by location, others keep them separated by service (police, fire, etc.) You use whatever makes sense to you, even if no one else uses your system.

RolnCode3

I keep things separated by location, others keep them separated by service (police, fire, etc.) You use whatever makes sense to you, even if no one else uses your system.
I keep things separated by location mostly as well. For me I did law enforcement north, south, east, and west (from my location) in consecutive banks. I also had some additional fire agencies in separate banks, and then a large trunking network that took up 2 banks, plus the highway patrol. So some by location if it made sense, and then by function or agency for others. I listen to almost exclusively LE, so I spent a lot more time organizing that - and then just bundled all the fire stuff together in case I needed it.

So it looks like this:

1-large TRS and conventional local law enforcement/fire
2-large TRS additional TGs
3-CA Highway Patrol
4-North LE
5-South LE
6-East LE
7-West LE
8-Fire agencies 1
9-Fire agencies 2
10-Feds and mutual aid stuff

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
I run my Pro-106 using banks sorted by what I want to hear when I'm in particular areas of my commute.

This means that I have areas for certain trunking towers then areas for a slightly different set of towers.
And the choices are by agencies of interest in that part of the commute.

I programmed a loaner Pro-96 for a coworker so that he leaves home using bank 1 then adds 2 and removes 1, then add 3 and remove 2 then add 4 and remove 3 then up to the 5th zone. By area. And I put the agencies of interest for each area in those banks.

Up to you.

scannerboy01

My scanner is organized geographically, but it's your decision on how to organize the frequencies since you are going to be the one using the scanner.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have different scanners organized in different manners. It depends on the use of that scanner. Some are organized geographically, because I use them when traveling. Some are organized by type of radio service. For example:

0 = All conventional fire frequencies (within 100 mile radius)
1 = Cal Fire (statewide)
2 = US Forest Service and Park frequencies
3 = CHP (statewide)
4 = City of Sacramento trunked system plus media frequencies
5 = Co of Sacramento plus California state frequencies
6 = conventional law enforcement north of hwy 50
7 = conventional law enforcement south of hwy 50
8 = Amateur radio and marine frequencies
9 = Aviation

Are you using the scanner only at home? Or traveling too? Do you listen to just police and fire, or have other interests (railroads, aviation, marine, etc)?

scannersnstuff

my primary base. bcd996xt

1.local/priority.
2.north bank fire.
3.south bank fire.
4.state police trunk.selected talkgroups.
5.my local pd. i lock them out because they are busy./not big police listener.
6.all fire frequencies as alloted by the fcc.v-lo/v-hi/uhf.
7.big crap nyc. sod/fire/ems. only real active stuff.
8.air/coast guard. some civil.some milair.select c.g. stuff.

will eventually put more stuff in. have to get a fm notch filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.