How To Tell If An NXDN Frequency Is Trunked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

If you're running DSD+ Fast Lane and find a voice call on an NXDN frequency, is there a way to tell if it's conventional or part of a trunking system?

If it's trunked, how do you figure out the LCNs to map out a system? And, what are all the different NXDN systems? I'm seeing NX48, NEXEDGE48, NEXEDGE96, NX96, NEXEDGE, etc. Are these all different kinds of systems and how do we tell if they're trunked or conventional?

Thanks.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Really the only way I've found is by listening and looking at TGID's. If you have varying TG's listed with varying users, it's trunked.

NX96 is the same as NEXEDGE96 in DSDPlus. Same with 48. There shouldn't a plain NEXEDGE. The 48 and 96 have to do with the bandwidth a channel uses in NXDN independent of trunking. Trunking works the same regardless of bandwidth.

As far as LCN order, some follow a mathematical formula while others are found by trial and error.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CanesFan95

So if it says NEXEDGE96 or NEXEDGE48, does that automatically mean it's a trunking system?

Markb

Premium Subscriber
No. The 48 and 96 have to do with the bandwidth a channel uses in NXDN *independent* of trunking. You can have a trunked or conventional channel that will show 48 or 96.

nd5y

There shouldn't a plain NEXEDGE.
NEXEDGE can also be simplex or conventional repeaters.
I forgot offhand how DSD+ (1.01) displays those in the main window but the activity log windown will only show the RAN. There won't be any talkgroups, system ID, site number or LCN. It will just show NXDN48 or NXDN96. I don't know if individual calls are possible or how they are displayed.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
In the current DSDPlus fastlane version, the TGID is shown for a conventional channel.
Neither the LCN, site, nor SysID are displayed if you are listening to a trunked voice channel. It is apparently only broadcast in the control channel datastream.

I'm sticking with my thoughts in my first reply. You need to determine if you are seeing multiple TGID's, missing parts of the conversation, etc...
Look at the station license and see if there are other freqs licensed. If you don't find a control channel, then it's probably not trunked.

CanesFan95

So, do all NXDN trunking systems always have a control channel? Or are they like LTR? ANd, do NXDNs have slots 1 and 2 like DMR, or is it just 1 voice path per frequency?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

NXDN Voice channels transmit information that can indicate if it is part of a trunked system. You might have to raise the verbosity level to display the information. Type-C and Type-D Trunking do things a little differently.

Type C uses a dedicated control channel. The voice channel will transmit the Site ID modulus 64 as the RAN value. You need to monitor the control channel and see what frequency become active on a voice grant to map the LCN to the frequency.

Type D use a LTR style of talkgroup id (xx-xxxx) and the control channel information is sent as a data stream with the voice. DSD+ should decode the system information on the voice channel.

NXDN Trunking Info (Type-C = Nexedge Trunking and Type-D = IDAS Trunking)
https://forums.radioreference.com/v...re/298075-understanding-nexedge-trunking.html
https://forums.radioreference.com/v...tware/298002-understanding-idas-trunking.html

73 Eric

Darkstar350

If you're running DSD+ Fast Lane and find a voice call on an NXDN frequency, is there a way to tell if it's conventional or part of a trunking system?

If it's trunked, how do you figure out the LCNs to map out a system? And, what are all the different NXDN systems? I'm seeing NX48, NEXEDGE48, NEXEDGE96, NX96, NEXEDGE, etc. Are these all different kinds of systems and how do we tell if they're trunked or conventional?

Thanks.

Im no expert and i could be wrong on this but i recently have come across this situation in my own experience - so(i think) if a Nexedge frequency is not trunked it will only show a radio id"RID" number whereas a trunked Nexedge freq will show a TGID, channel number, etc

Now to find the "LCN"(im not actually sure if its referred to as LCN in regards to nxdn trunking...) in DSD you will look in the smaller "Channel Activity" window
There you should see "CH" "TX Freq" ,etc
The LCN/channel number will be under CH
Nexedge LCN will usually be 3 digit such as 803, 605, etc...

racingfan360

This bit is really very simple: look at the DSD+ log file.
2017.06.21 10:55:24 Sync:+NXDN48 TS VOICE e:
TS = Trunked Subscriber (the uplink frequency)

2017.06.21 10:55:24 Sync:+NXDN48 TB VOICE e:
TB = Trunked Base (the downlink frequency)

2017.06.21 10:55:24 Sync:+NXDN48 CS VOICE e:
CS = Conventional Subscriber (the uplink frequency)

2017.06.21 10:55:24 Sync:+NXDN48 CB VOICE e:
CB = Conventional Base (the downlink frequency)

racingfan360

Im no expert and i could be wrong on this but i recently have come across this situation in my own experience - so(i think) if a Nexedge frequency is not trunked it will only show a radio id"RID" number whereas a trunked Nexedge freq will show a TGID, channel number, etc

Just to clarify, you can get TGIDs on Conventional too: depends on the system and how it's been configured. You're spot on in that you won't get channel numbers on a Conventional system :)

Darkstar350

Just to clarify, you can get TGIDs on Conventional too: depends on the system and how it's been configured. You're spot on in that you won't get channel numbers on a Conventional system :)

Yes there can be TG on conventional much like mototrbo
I cant say i have come across even a conventional Trbo frequency with no TG then again in my area at least there is a lot more mototrbo activity then there is Nxdn
I actually had a thread about this which was the first NXDN frequency that i came across without a TG https://forums.radioreference.com/v...coding-software/347527-nxdn-conventional.html

As far as i know in DSD at least when monitoring a Nexedge control channel it will show the LCN of the control channel frequency itself..

Status
Not open for further replies.