How to transfer 396XT/996XT files to a 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHinAZ

Hello,

I have a 396XT and 996XT containing the identical programming file information. I am getting the new model 536HP and want to automatically (versus hand entry) transfer the programming from one of my existing scanners (396XT or 996XT) to the new 536HP. The software I have for the two existing scanners is FreeScan but I read it will not be supporting the 536HP.

I have spent time searching the Forum and have seen this question asked among other threads, but not clearly answered. I have read statements saying it can be done with the Home Patrol, but I do not have one of those units.

My questions:

1) Can the 396XT/996XT programming files be transferred to the new 546HP in some automated way?

2) If so, could someone either point to a link describing the process or provide some form of explanation on how to do it.

The best I can tell, the old and new structures look basically the same with channels or talk groups within groups (now called departments), which are within Systems. What looks new to me is a new top layer called Favorites.

I suspect a good part of the market for the new scanner is people like me having decoding issues with the older products and hoping the new unit will do a better job. If that is the case, then there should be many users like me that want a relatively quick way to program the new scanner with the custom data that took years to build with the old scanners. I keep thinking there should already be something out there describing what I want to do, but I can not find it.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce H.

Last edited:

One13Truck

Feed Provider
This is great! For some reason when I searched the forums I didn't see this pop up but it's fantastic. I also have the 396/996 with identical programming and was looking for a way to eventually get everything over to a 436 once I can finally get around to picking one up. Thank you!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A "new player" in the 36 are Service Tags. You'll have to add these to your new files that you may have created from your old files.

With the 96XTs your scanner had all of the systems "lumped" together (which could be turned on/off via system quick keys). With Favorites Lists, you could sub-divide your systems into smaller clusters.

My 536 is a lot better at decoding my local simulcast system than my XT scanners.

With the new model scanners having the RR database in them combined with location based scanning and service type choices, I'm programming a lot less "stuff" in my scanner.

BHinAZ

Thanks for the info so far. I will look into the method described in the link. Looks like it will require some hands on cut and paste, but should be better than having to re-key everything.

I take it that the Sentinel software is unable to read the files from a 396XT or 996XT scanner for conversion to the 536HP or 436HP?

In other words, Uniden did not provide a migration path for transferring data from the prior generation scanner(s) to the two new scanners. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

I wish they had but unfortunately they did not.

I used sentinel to get a base line for starting favorites lists. Then I did copying and pasting from the "old files". Took a little time but I'm happy with the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.