How to transmit WSJT-X using the Yaesu FT-857D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for some help on how to set up WSJT-X to transmit with the Yaesu FT-857D.
I'm running windows 10, I have the cat cable set up and working fine with my PC through a "Trip-Lite" serial to USB converter; works fine, I can program the radio with chirp so I know that connection functions well.

I have also downloaded the latest version of WSJT-X v2.1.2, installed it and have it decoding using a stereo 3.5mm Jack connected to the microphone Jack on my PC and the external speaker jack on the FT-857D.

When I am in WSJT-X, and I test the cat connection between WSJTX and the radio, it works!

If I receive an FT8 CQ request, double click on it, the radio goes into transmit mode and apparently says it's transmitting.

The question is, does WSJT-X send the transmitted information through the cat cable when it's transmitting?

The reason I ask, is I've replied to numerous messages, the radio transmits, and I received no replies.

My hope is, that there is someone with experience setting up WSJT-X and the Yaesu FT-857D and can let me know what it is I need to do in order to get these two functioning together.

Last edited:

petenice

Anybody?

Mikejo
AKA
KC1JPY

You may need to configure the PC's soundcard to ensure the WSJT-X transmission is actually making it into the 857D.

I've got the same radio and software, but use it with the ZLP MiniPro SC to handle the sound been the radio and PC. It works great, but it could also be that your propogation just hasn't reached another station.

Feel free to drop me a DM if you need more details.

Pete

N2PAS

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Pete!

I'm realizing that when WSJT-X transmits, it does not send the information through the "CAT" cable. All the "CAT" cable does is facilitate taking the radio out of receive mode, and puts it into transmit mode.

I realize that in order to have WSJT-X's information passed when transmitting, there needs to be something else connected to the FT-857D that carry's it.

However, I had read somewhere that you can hold the Mic up to the PC speaker, and it will go out that way!

I tried it, and wadayaknow, PSK Reporter say's I was heard!

"Display Reception Reports"

For now, until I can obtain something better to process the signal, this may work. (not well apparently), as I've only been heard, not replied to yet!

73's
Mike
KC1JPY

petenice

Thanks Pete!

I'm realizing that when WSJT-X transmits, it does not send the information through the "CAT" cable. All the "CAT" cable does is facilitate taking the radio out of receive mode, and puts it into transmit mode.

I realize that in order to have WSJT-X's information passed when transmitting, there needs to be something else connected to the FT-857D that carry's it.

However, I had read somewhere that you can hold the Mic up to the PC speaker, and it will go out that way!

I tried it, and wadayaknow, PSK Reporter say's I was heard!

"Display Reception Reports"

For now, until I can obtain something better to process the signal, this may work. (not well apparently), as I've only been heard, not replied to yet!

73's
Mike
KC1JPY

Right on! Glad you got it working.

If you're going to do a more permanent setup that affords a more "hands off" arrangement, look into the ZLP MiniPro SC or one of the SignaLink devices. I've got the MiniPro working recently with my Android phone and an app for a grid down, ECOMMS setup I'm experimenting with.

Pete

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I have also downloaded the latest version of WSJT-X v2.1.2, installed it and have it decoding using a stereo 3.5mm Jack connected to the microphone Jack on my PC and the external speaker jack on the FT-857D.

Well, you're halfway there. You've got audio from your rig to you computer but what about your computer to your rig?

You'll need to run a cable between your rig's audio out and your PC's audio in. I use a Griffin iMic to route audio to and from the computer on a USB port.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Well, you're halfway there. You've got audio from your rig to you computer but what about your computer to your rig?

You'll need to run a cable between your rig's audio out and your PC's audio in. I use a Griffin iMic to route audio to and from the computer on a USB port.
Hi Mike!

Well, as I had stated above, I already have that part up and running.

The solution I am now in search of is how to get information from the PC to the Radio for Transmission.

I would guess I need a PC-out 3.5mm Mono to something on the Radio. I don't see an input 3.5mm jack anywhere, but there is a six pin female connector that is a data in port.

From what I can gather, this port is mainly used in conjunction with a "Linear Amp", and I think it can also be used for other Data as well.

If this is the port I need to access from the computer soundcard-out port, How do I make this connection?

petenice

Hi Mike!

Well, as I had stated above, I already have that part up and running.

The solution I am now in search of is how to get information from the PC to the Radio for Transmission.

I would guess I need a PC-out 3.5mm Mono to something on the Radio. I don't see an input 3.5mm jack anywhere, but there is a six pin female connector that is a data in port.

From what I can gather, this port is mainly used in conjunction with a "Linear Amp", and I think it can also be used for other Data as well.

If this is the port I need to access from the computer soundcard-out port, How do I make this connection?

Mike, this where the TNC device is needed. The six-pin AFSK port on the radio connects to the TNC, and the TNC connects to the PC via USB.

I don't think there's a way to directly interface the computer's soundcard with the radio using the available outputs and inputs on each.

I tried to upload a photo to give you an idea, but the file is too large. Drop me a line if you me to email it to you.

Pete

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most sound card data modes, like PSK31 or Olivia or FT8, do all of the encoding and decoding in software running on your computer. What the computer software needs is a way to get receive audio from the radio to the computer, a way to get transmit audio from the computer to the radio, and a way to key the radio so it will transmit. The Tigertronics SignaLink or West Mountain Radio Rigblaster are examples of the sound card data interface that I think you are looking for. There are some radios on the market, like the Yaesu FT-991A and Icom IC-7300, that have the sound card interface built in, but I don't think your radio has that feature.

A Terminal Node Controller (TNC) would typically be used for packet or maybe a Pactor mode. A TNC has some intelligence inside for assembling and disassembling packets.

petenice

Most sound card data modes, like PSK31 or Olivia or FT8, do all of the encoding and decoding in software running on your computer. What the computer software needs is a way to get receive audio from the radio to the computer, a way to get transmit audio from the computer to the radio, and a way to key the radio so it will transmit. The Tigertronics SignaLink or West Mountain Radio Rigblaster are examples of the sound card data interface that I think you are looking for. There are some radios on the market, like the Yaesu FT-991A and Icom IC-7300, that have the sound card interface built in, but I don't think your radio has that feature.

A Terminal Node Controller (TNC) would typically be used for packet or maybe a Pactor mode. A TNC has some intelligence inside for assembling and disassembling packets.

Exactly. Thanks for clarifying. I used the wrong terminology: the MiniPro SC is a data interface that works well with JT65 and newer WSPR modes.

M0RSX

Hello, I am trying to get WSJT-X (v2.1.2) running with my FT-857D too. I have the U5 LINK interface. The back of the U5 LINK has cables linked to the CAT and ACC ports on the FT-857D, the front of the U% LINK has a USB cable and SP and MIC ports - the latter are connected to the line in and line out ports on my PC (Windows 10). In WSJT-X I can listen fine to the signals on the band, the software decodes things. When I enable TX, the transceiver switches to transmit but my power meter suggests nothing is getting out and I never get any replies. I have tried swapping the SP and MIC cables but nothing changes - receive all fine still nothing on transmit. The U5 LINK has 4 LEDs on the front. Power is on permanently, REM flashes on and off, neother RTS or DTR light up. What have I got wrong please?

wy6pradio

I, also, am trying get WSJT-X (v2.2.2) running with my FT-857D. I have a Signalink USB [successfully] connected. All appears to working on reception - plenty of 'Band Activity'. The 'Test CAT' is good, a 'Test PTT' keys the radio. However, the radio does NOT key on 'Enable Tx'.

Status
Not open for further replies.