BCD436HP/BCD536HP: How to turn on / scan P25 trunked systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drick

Hi,

I'm trying to determine how i can turn on P25 monitoring for my BCD436HP. I've read 4 strings here, and watched 2 YouTube videos, all of which seem to be skipping the beginning on HOW to turn this on.

What i would like to accomplish is to be able to monitor these types of channels (as an example) below here in Silicon Valley:

156.15000 KMA376 RM 173 NAC SCCSO Cont 3 Tac P25 Law Tac
or some of these
Silicon Valley Regional Communications System (SVRCS) Trunking System, , California - Scanner Frequencies

Details:
Radio is running FW 1.11.20
Sentinel v 1.07.05 on PC
Sentinel DB updated/current as of this AM
ProVoice license installed and enabled
DMR license not purchased / installed (wasn't clear if this is required or not)

So my questions as follows:

1. I see multiple references to the requirement for enabling priority scan. Am i correct that from Sentinel SW, i would do that like this:
-Open program
-Edit Profile
-Go to Misc tab / change pri scan mode from off to priority

If so, do i need to change anything else?

2. I watched a youtube video showing how one "discovers" the trunks. When i try that process from radio, it won't accept either of the trunk names found in link above (SVRCS or 5E4) to enable discovery to start. It errors out with no system by that name found

Do i need to do this or not?

3. I don't see any way to manually add the P25 channels in via Sentinel (or perhaps they are just not listed as P25 because of item 1).

Is there a way to do this manually, or do they have to be discovered.

---

I apologize if these are all easy questions that you all take for granted, but neither the OEM manual, NF6N's mini manual, nor the internet provide a clear explanation (IMO) on how to do this.

TIA for any assistance
D

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I'm trying to determine how i can turn on P25 monitoring for my BCD436HP. I've read 4 strings here, and watched 2 YouTube videos, all of which seem to be skipping the beginning on HOW to turn this on.

What i would like to accomplish is to be able to monitor these types of channels (as an example) below here in Silicon Valley:

156.15000 KMA376 RM 173 NAC SCCSO Cont 3 Tac P25 Law Tac
or some of these
Silicon Valley Regional Communications System (SVRCS) Trunking System, , California - Scanner Frequencies

Details:
Radio is running FW 1.11.20
Sentinel v 1.07.05 on PC
Sentinel DB updated/current as of this AM
ProVoice license installed and enabled
DMR license not purchased / installed (wasn't clear if this is required or not)

So my questions as follows:

1. I see multiple references to the requirement for enabling priority scan. Am i correct that from Sentinel SW, i would do that like this:
-Open program
-Edit Profile
-Go to Misc tab / change pri scan mode from off to priority

If so, do i need to change anything else?

2. I watched a youtube video showing how one "discovers" the trunks. When i try that process from radio, it won't accept either of the trunk names found in link above (SVRCS or 5E4) to enable discovery to start. It errors out with no system by that name found

Do i need to do this or not?

3. I don't see any way to manually add the P25 channels in via Sentinel (or perhaps they are just not listed as P25 because of item 1).

Is there a way to do this manually, or do they have to be discovered.

---

I apologize if these are all easy questions that you all take for granted, but neither the OEM manual, NF6N's mini manual, nor the internet provide a clear explanation (IMO) on how to do this.

TIA for any assistance
D

All you would need to do is import the system into a favorites list, and then turn it on to monitor and download. From the sentinal software, find the system in the database files, then right click the system and select add to a favorites list. then go to the newly made favorites list and "Avoid" any talkgroups that you don't wish to listen to, if you wish. Then click on the "Favorites Lists", which will list all favorites lists that you have created, and make sure that the column for Monitor and Download is ON. After that, write the files to your scanner and enjoy. Hope this helps.

Edit: Priority, Discovery, and DMR has nothing to do with your problem at this point.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
It should be as simple as setting your location and ensuring the correct service type are on - at least for a start.

Fav. lists are fine and preferred, but 1st, lets rule out any other issues

The conventional system is in the DB as Law Tac for an example.

marksmith

The above handle the answer. Forget about priority etc as those don't really work well on trunked systems anyway.

Once you have the favorites list built, one other thing to do is to turn off the full database in the profile setup when you turn on the favorites list. That will stop the zip code stuff from coming in in addition to your favorites list.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

drick

All you would need to do is import the system into a favorites list, and then turn it on to monitor and download. From the sentinal software, find the system in the database files, then right click the system and select add to a favorites list. then go to the newly made favorites list and "Avoid" any talkgroups that you don't wish to listen to, if you wish. Then click on the "Favorites Lists", which will list all favorites lists that you have created, and make sure that the column for Monitor and Download is ON. After that, write the files to your scanner and enjoy. Hope this helps.

Edit: Priority, Discovery, and DMR has nothing to do with your problem at this point.

So is it really just as simple as Uniden/Sentinel don't label the channels as P25? After reading this, i went in and looked, and have some of those channels in already in my primary scanner favorites list.

Let me try and create a P25 list only, and see if it works.

Thanks for suggestion

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all you need to get over the notion that you're listening to a particular type of traffic by monitoring a frequency on a trunked system. Any talkgroup can be broadcast on any system frequency at any time.

DMR and P25 are different digital formats. You don't need a DMR key to listen to a P25 system, but you'll need one to listen to DMR systems.

In the database, when you enter your ZIP code or GPS coordinates, the scanner will automatically "add" the system to your scanlist if it is close enough. It doesn't matter whether it is P25, DMR, or analog FM. If you really care, a little indicator lights up in the bottom right of the screen showing the type of transmission--FM, NFM, P25, DMR, etc. Other than that, the scanner doesn't make a big deal of the system type, on the assumption that the user cares more about the traffic type than the format of the transmission carrying the traffic.

drick

First of all you need to get over the notion that you're listening to a particular type of traffic by monitoring a frequency on a trunked system. Any talkgroup can be broadcast on any system frequency at any time.

DMR and P25 are different digital formats. You don't need a DMR key to listen to a P25 system, but you'll need one to listen to DMR systems.

In the database, when you enter your ZIP code or GPS coordinates, the scanner will automatically "add" the system to your scanlist if it is close enough. It doesn't matter whether it is P25, DMR, or analog FM. If you really care, a little indicator lights up in the bottom right of the screen showing the type of transmission--FM, NFM, P25, DMR, etc. Other than that, the scanner doesn't make a big deal of the system type, on the assumption that the user cares more about the traffic type than the format of the transmission carrying the traffic.

Got it, you are correct - i was thinking that the traffic is treated differently and needed to be set up accordingly.

I created a P25 only favorites list last night, and was able to hear one of the bands. I also see the indicator light you were referring to, which was a first.

Thanks for getting me back on track!

Status
Not open for further replies.