• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to Turn (two) the Wouxun KG-1000G's Into a GMRS Repeater

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This looks like a more flexible useful GMRS repeater solution to me. It also leaves you the option to use them as a base and/or mobile transceiver should the need arise! It doesn't get any easier than this!

How to Turn (two) the Wouxun KG-1000G's Into a GMRS Repeater

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Alot of posts on the gmrs forums about this and how well they do not work. In the end you'll spend way more money than just buying a true repeater and not gain much. Still need a duplexer and antenna.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Alot of posts on the gmrs forums about this and how well they do not work. In the end you'll spend way more money than just buying a true repeater and not gain much. Still need a duplexer and antenna.
Thanks for the FYI. I need to stop watching those YouTube videos! :rolleyes:
Better one good radio designed for the task than two with compromises.
My needs are minimal, I certainly do not need 100 watts. Like I say, if I can get 5 miles between the house and my SUV I'll be happy. Maybe I don't even need a repeater, just a mobile and a base.

PACNWDude

My alternate recommendation has been to buy older GR300 repeaters, old school Motorola desktop repeaters that have M120 or similar radios in them. Then swap those radios for newer XPR4550 UHF models and you now have a low cost portable desktop repeater (with a decent antenna) as a starting point. Seems with GMRs becoming popular, every new person to the radio type also wants to put up a repeater too.

DFireOnly

That interesting and funny. I’ll agree on the money part to some degree. Guess saying a HT 25 plus miles away hitting my repeater crystal clear. I’m still putting around 40 watts to my antenna with a tuned duplexer. A lot of people also don’t know a whole lot about how to set it up correctly in the first place. Yes I’m running 2 KG-1000g Plus, LMR 400, 2 jumpers 18 inches rm213, duplexer, 10ft 9db gain antenna with a 3 degree down tilt to the city. Still covering the two small towns behind me perfectly.1.13 SWR. But what do I know about it. lol I achieved what I wanted for about 1000 dollars. I’ll finish my setup in 2 weeks with a node link.

prcguy

That interesting and funny. I’ll agree on the money part to some degree. Guess saying a HT 25 plus miles away hitting my repeater crystal clear. I’m still putting around 40 watts to my antenna with a tuned duplexer. A lot of people also don’t know a whole lot about how to set it up correctly in the first place. Yes I’m running 2 KG-1000g Plus, LMR 400, 2 jumpers 18 inches rm213, duplexer, 10ft 9db gain antenna with a 3 degree down tilt to the city. Still covering the two small towns behind me perfectly.1.13 SWR. But what do I know about it. lol I achieved what I wanted for about 1000 dollars. I’ll finish my setup in 2 weeks with a node link.
What kind of 9dB antenna do you have that is only 10ft tall?