• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

how to upgrade firmware TK-3180

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv8mat

Hello everyone, i have a TK-3180-K and i want to upgrade to the latest firmware and programming software so i can have MDC-1200 on this radio. I talked to my local radio shop and told them what i wanted and they basicly told me i was nuts because the tk-3180 couldnt do that. I was told they could and i have seen people post on RR that it was possable, could anyone set me straight,

thanks

mattgregg110@hotmail.com is my email if anyone wants to contact me off this post.

thanks

Matt

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, i have a TK-3180-K and i want to upgrade to the latest firmware and programming software so i can have MDC-1200 on this radio. I talked to my local radio shop and told them what i wanted and they basicly told me i was nuts because the tk-3180 couldnt do that. I was told they could and i have seen people post on RR that it was possable, could anyone set me straight,

thanks

mattgregg110@hotmail.com is my email if anyone wants to contact me off this post.

thanks

Matt

Is the shop a Kenwood shop? If so they should know how to do it, and they are just telling you that.

1. Start up the firmware programming software (Fpro.exe).
2. Set the communications speed (normally, 115200 bps)
and communications port in the configuration item.
3. Set the firmware to be updated by File name item.
4. Turn the transceiver power ON with the switch held
down. Then, the orange LED on the transceiver lights and
“PROG 115200” is displayed.
5. Check the connection between the transceiver and the
personal computer, and make sure that the transceiver is
in the Program mode.
6. Press write button in the window. When the transceiver
starts to receive data, the [PG] display is blinking.
7. If writing ends successfully, the checksum is calculated
and a result is displayed.
8. If you want to continue programming other transceivers,
repeat steps 4 to 7.
Notes:
This mode cannot be entered if the Firmware Programming
mode is set to Disable in the Programming software.

6-4. Function
1. If you press the [Side2] switch (under of left side) while
“PROG 115200” is displayed, the display changes to
“PROG 19200” to indicate that the write speed is low
speed (19200 bps). If you press the [Side2] switch again
while “PROG 19200” is displayed, the display changes to
“PROG 38400”. If you press the [Side2] switch again
while “PROG 38400” is displayed, the display changes to
“PROG 57600”. If you press the [Side2] switch again
while “PROG 57600” is displayed, the display returns to
“PROG 115200”.
2. If you press the [Side1] switch (top of left side) while
“PROG 115200” is displayed, the checksum is calculated,
and a result is displayed. If you press the [Side1] switch
again while the checksum is displayed, “PROG 115200”
is redisplayed.
Note:
Normally, write in the high-speed mode.

RadioCopFFFR

I had my 2180 and 3180 flashed for mdc. Works great. Also displays the IDs on the display like it does for Fleetsync. I would tell them to contact Kenwood or look on the Dealers site for the latest firmware update for the radio.If they are not willing to help. I can put you in touch with a shop here in Tennessee that is capable to take care of that for you.

wv8mat

ok thanks everyone, they say they are a kenwood dealer but alot of questions they are asked they dont have a answer to.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Figures ;)

I only have 1.4

Cant justify spending the money for the new software for something I dont need

wv8mat

ok question, i got the firmware and software and did the upgrade. but when i turn the radio on to see the firmware ver i have it still shows 1.14.0, why is that. but i know i upgraded because my MDC is working great.

mfowler79

Question, where did poeple find thier KPG-89 v 1.6? I have V1.5 and cant find anyone with v1.6 for the life of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Josh380

Sorry to rehash an old thread but I noticed something interesting. I had originally v1.6, but my radio was password protected, so I needed the engineer version which was v1.5. Then I read this thread, went to reinstall v1.6, and it gave me the option to overwrite (update) existing files or uninstall the old version. I updated the existing files, now it seems all the engineer functions are available now in v1.6!

Just thought I'd share for those who may not have discovered this for themselves.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Where does one individual get the firmware for the tk-3180. I have kpg-89d v1.6. Does it come with the programming software or no?

You can get the firmware/software from your local Kenwood Dealer. It is fairly priced and not
all that expensive. (Under 80$)
Lots of Kenwood radios are becoming multi-mode (NX-5000, NX-3000) and pretty much where
the product line is going to.

EFM

Status
Not open for further replies.