How Useful are Scanners Today?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Depends on where you're listening. Yeah most of the transmissions are routine & mundane with the diminishing number of LE agencies still "in the clear" in the Philly region but we also have our fair share of vehicle pursuits, foot chases, shootings, the occasional barricaded suspects, etc to "liven things up" a bit. Still would rather be "in the know" about the happenings in my neighborhood than to rely solely on social media & the news but my county LE decided to go dark prior to the pandemic. Ah well

As you know John I live in the next County on the lower end and it's the same deal here. Constant police activity, felony car stops, drive by shootings, foot pursuits, sometimes in my own neighborhood, never ending excitement and not having the ability of situational awareness on my street and backyard is really missed.

It really does matter where you live. Our law enforcement felt fit to encrypt also, I won't get into the reasons they said why.

Then scanning was not only useful but important for self-awareness.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
As you know John I live in the next County on the lower end and it's the same deal here. Constant police activity, felony car stops, drive by shootings, foot pursuits, sometimes in my own neighborhood, never ending excitement and not having the ability of situational awareness on my street and backyard is really missed.

It really does matter where you live. Our law enforcement felt fit to encrypt also, I won't get into the reasons they said why.

Then scanning was not only useful but important for self-awareness.
Well said neighborino :ROFLMAO:

JethrowJohnson

I find the scanner very useful. I have all of the public safety channels in my county and in all surrounding counties, and I'm still not done programming it yet, but I plan to program the Ohio statewide mutual aid channels and the West Virginia statewide mutual aid channels, and then the nationwide mutual aid. I'll probably never need them, but I wanted to make sure I add them just in case. I only listen to Washington County all the time, and I have the surrounding counties in for mutual aid purposes.

One day a few years ago, the police got called for a boy who was allegedly threatening his dad with a knife just a few blocks up the street from me, the kid fled on a bicycle and they couldn't find him but I saw him riding his bike back down the street and I called and let them know and they found him over by the school. And then a few months after that, there was a call about someone trying to get into people's cars in my neighborhood and I looked out the window and after a few minutes I saw him walk up the hill, and go straight over to my car and try to open the door and then he tried to get into my neighbor's car. Unfortunately I moved and caused the collapsible tray table thing to tap the wall, and he heard it and looked up and saw me and his eyes got real big and he took off like a shot back down the hill. 😂 The officer looked for about 15 minutes but couldn't find him, but at least I know someone was trying to get in our cars, and hopefully that scared the guy enough that he won't ever do that again.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
In my area, most everyone is on P25. The database says they are TDMA but in actuality they are mostly on Phase 1. With the exception on State Troopers and Wildlife Wardens who are on TDMA. I rarely have a quiet moment, much less a quiet day. Non stop excitement around my neck of the woods.

When they do decide to talk confidential, they either use cell phone or go to an encrypted channel. Most of the time they just say what they want (professionally of course). And yes, they do give out SSN on the occasion.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Interestingly, there's a lot of "...but in my area...." posts about those departments being in the clear.

But, realistically, for how long?

And just how interesting is listening to school buses, taxis, and garbage trucks, for the long haul?

Times change. And this is one of those times.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Interestingly, there's a lot of "...but in my area...." posts about those departments being in the clear.

And just how interesting is listening to school buses, taxis, and garbage trucks, for the long haul?

I'm not surprised at all by the "but in my area" posts. Some people's areas are nearly completely in the dark as far as law enforcement goes. My particular area is almost 100% wide open, much of it still analog even. There's a great range, location is everything. And yes, as far as listening to law enforcement goes the hobby is in great decline compared to the 1970s-2000 era. With awesome new technology comes a lot of other awful things, and leave it at that before I say anything that begins with the letter "E".

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber

I'm sure someone would be willing to take those scanners off your hands.:sneaky:

RF-Burns

With encryption is there anything left to listen to? My county and state encrypts most frequencies. So, why buy a scanner? Are there other frequencies I could listen to, such as fire, taxi, marine, aviation and so forth? Scanners still cost a lot of money so don't want to spend that money if I only hear dead air. Someone please tell me I am misinformed. Thanks!
You are in Highlands County, they only thing encrypted is LEO. Fire and EMS are not, not to mention all counties around you are not encrypted. Stop spreading false information about the topic. More radio traffic is unencrypted than encrypted in Highlands County.

awal

I’m going to be honest - in my area, school buses are way more interesting to hear than the police 😎

i live in the NCR ( National Capital Region) - and school bus drivers rule 😂