How Vulgar can you get on HAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aweitzel

I dont have a HAM licence, nor know anything about it. However i thought over vulgar language was not allowed.
The reason im asking is because i got bored with Police and Fire chatter, and started trolling Ham Freqs. I came across i conversation that would make a sailor blush, and ask you to keep it clean.
I mean this guy dropped the F, GD, and MF bomb literally every other word. i wont go into to much detail, but it was filthy. Im 28 and admite to cursing yes, but this was WAY WAY over the top.
He went so far as to give out the other Ham users FULL REAL NAME, cell phone number, And AKAs.
He went on, and on about his wife, mother, and other that live in his area, and his race. He went on like this for a atleast a full hour, till others started jumping in and either asking him to stop, or calling him a joke and flat out telling him to shut up.
I wont mention where he was from, but the person he was cursing out seemed to be a well known, and what seems to be a very well hated ham user.
He even had a HAM aka that everyone knew him by.
I very much enjoy listening in on HAMers, ive got alot of great info from them, and alot of great chatter.
So my thoughts are this is a very very rare thing to happen.
PS. if im opening a can of worms here let me know.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I dont have a HAM licence, nor know anything about it. However i thought over vulgar language was not allowed.
The reason im asking is because i got bored with Police and Fire chatter, and started trolling Ham Freqs. I came across i conversation that would make a sailor blush, and ask you to keep it clean.
I mean this guy dropped the F, GD, and MF bomb literally every other word. i wont go into to much detail, but it was filthy. Im 28 and admite to cursing yes, but this was WAY WAY over the top.
He went so far as to give out the other Ham users FULL REAL NAME, cell phone number, And AKAs.
He went on, and on about his wife, mother, and other that live in his area, and his race. He went on like this for a atleast a full hour, till others started jumping in and either asking him to stop, or calling him a joke and flat out telling him to shut up.
I wont mention where he was from, but the person he was cursing out seemed to be a well known, and what seems to be a very well hated ham user.
He even had a HAM aka that everyone knew him by.
I very much enjoy listening in on HAMers, ive got alot of great info from them, and alot of great chatter.
So my thoughts are this is a very very rare thing to happen.

You MUST be talking about 147.435

k9rzz

I think that's a pretty isolated case. Around here, 2 meters is either the old geezers club, drive time tech talk, or the Marquette University ham club. There is a little simplex also, but it's all quite tame overall.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Based on the OP's location, yeah, I'd say it was 147.435 he was listening to. He's about 5 miles from the repeater site, and it's going to be about the loudest thing on.

That repeater is an anomaly. It seems to serve it's purpose and life, and has long been known for that sort of thing. It's certainly not representative of ham radio in general, but then, neither is bouncing signals off the moon with rubidium locked radios. Clearly, there's something for everybody.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
I got my license about 3 months ago, have never heard and that bad on 2 meters.. But then again, I've only had one conversation in all the time other then brief net 'check ins' It's seems like a 'just us' club on the repeaters, so I'm about to hang it up myself..

But at least they're aren't cursing at people like that. however have heard the occasional slip..

WouffHong

Sadder 'n Sadder.. The worms won ;-?

------ . . . . . .

It isn't, but deregulation trendings opened that crock of fecal matter.

Nahh.. the worms took over when the FCC was bought out by the commercial interests moving movies to TV and satellite and the decision to let CB run wild all over the spectrum.and say/do anything. The so-called dawn of "deregulation". :mad: :roll:

OK - Yeah, I'm an ol' Ham licensed since the 50's, when "Darn" was about the worst thing one heard and respect for each other was mainly (not always, of course) the theme.

It was a fraternity, and frat brothers/sisters rarely sh@t on one another. :mad:

Your disgust is well-warranted.. :(

WOUFF
http://rettysnitch.org

Aweitzel

You MUST be talking about 147.435

Bingo.
It was around 2am-3am. I work graveyard at a gas station, police and fire chatter went dead. So Ham went on, my Jaw dropped when i heard this guy. I really wish i was at home to record the Audio, i didnt know if i should report the act or if it was just so random of an act it wouldnt be worth it.
Anyway, thanks for clearing this up for me. I actually may tune in tonight to see if his at it again. He seems very angry at one person, and the Inland empire in general lol.
Thank you Hams

k9rzz

I've only heard one drunk ham on 2m (he's usually very personable and polite). Then there's the Good 'Ol Boys during Field Day on 75m at 2am. Those guys are a barrel of fun though!

canav844

I've heard this kind of thing ONCE, and it was a guy that was well hated and would get drunk and drive around spewing BS onto the local repeater. He'd be belligerent and not identify himself and do everything he could to disrupt signals; we ignored him and eventually he got bored of it so he went and started up his BS on one of the nearby fire channels; since then he's no longer a problem and I'm pretty sure he's got a door made of steel antennas now.

If you record it and get him giving his call out, then I'd say report it, and if you do a little fox-hunting and can verify the signal location, then you're more likely to have something the FCC can do something about, but they're very low on manpower to hunt down this sort of thing, so while they get amateur and business jammer's much of their resources are reserved for protecting public safety signals. But I have heard of CB'ers getting fined for this sort of thing, a guy in SoCal was arreseted last year for non-payment of fines after jamming a GMRS business at the mall, and he lost his GMRS license, and several HAMs have been fined and had their licenses revoked for similar behavior.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There's probably no point in reporting it to the FCC. They're quite aware of that repeater, who uses it, and what they say. That one night's listening is nothing unusual there, and it's gone on that way for 30 years... it'll probably go on for 30 more.

trace1

Well I can honestly say that I've never heard anything like this on the local repeaters around me. We monitor them pretty closely and if anyone ever did they'd be shut down pretty fast I'd bet.

Not long ago we did have one operator that was transmitting just a little off of what the input frequency is on one of the repeaters. He was using it as a simplex frequency and never gave his callsign as required too. However he did once give his call and that was all that was needed. He was told that he needed to stop or further action would be taken.

Haven't heard from him since...

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
You think nothing is being done, then one day the postman rings your doorbell with a certified letter advising you of a $10,000 NAL - Notice of Apparent Liability. You have 30 days to prove you are innocent or pay up. Or it is turned over to the DOJ for collection. The FCC Enforcement Bureau is staffed and working off the backlog of compliants. Best practice is to follow the rules.

Besides no real HAM condones it. Reflects badly on the many dedicated hams that help out in public service activities and try to set a good example for new or young hams.

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
If this is being done on a repeater, the repeater trustee is responsible for compliance with the rules. The repeater should be turned off. I would not allow my license to be used in violation of the rules.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Besides no real HAM condones it. Reflects badly on the many dedicated hams that help out in public service activities and try to set a good example for new or young hams.

Unfortunately, condoning it doesn't seem to be a requirement. It goes on anyway. It's really up to the repeater operators, but when THEY condone it, there's little that anyone else can do. I know of no one who's happy with the situation, no one who condones it, and there it is... going on and on, year after year. The repeater has even changed ownership and it goes on.

Think of it as an institution of sorts, with all that the name implies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The repeater owner/trustee/control operator is ultimately responsible for proper operation of the repeater. That having been said there have been a number of such cases in SoCal where after repeated warnings those repeaters were shut down (licenses revoked) and heavy fines imposed by the FCC. Not to worry, this sort of thing can go on only so long before the axe falls.

Meanwhile nobody has a gun to your head... right?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That having been said there have been a number of such cases in SoCal where after repeated warnings those repeaters were shut down (licenses revoked) and heavy fines imposed by the FCC.

Then another repeater shows up on the same frequency pair, at a different site, with a different owner, and the show goes on. It's been happening that way for decades.

bassman21

Maybe 2 meters has changed since I was on it in the 90s. I got off of it because there were these grumpy old men that had nothing better to do than report people to the FCC for every little thing they said. They knew how to be total pricks without breaking the rules. I never got a letter, but saw it happening to others. No way this would have been allowed back then on a repeater. Now on simplex at low power people did all the time, but not on the repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.