Howard County brevity code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

menglish

I have been listening to Howard County Fire and Police since the mid 80's (including as a volunteer firefighter at station 9 long ago) and I have been able to keep up with the changes fairly well. But I am stumped on the NR codes that the police are using now. I am pretty sure NR is no report, right? As opposed to RTF which is Report to File.
So now they are throwing a brevity code out after the NR. Is this some sort of standard list of reasons for there being no report? Where would you record a code if there is no report?

Also what is an FIR? I thought it referred to a Fire Incident Report. But that doesn't jive with the way they seem to use FIR.

Thanks,
-Matt

mhoward785

Not sure about "NR codes" but in AA Co. an "FIR" is a "Field Interrogation Report". It's just a brief report that the officer would complete after a brief questioning of someone "in the field" in reference to a number of things (such as stopping someone to question them if they match a description of a suspect, etc). Hope this helps.

menglish

One example I heard today on Bravo 1 was "10-8 NR. NR code o-3" Even though he said "o-3" I am pretty it was just code 3. Thanks for the info on the FIR, that makes a lot more sense now.

I also thought of something I forgot to ask in my original post.
On the fire department side, why does station 2 have two separate alert tones now? I have not been able to figure out the pattern behind them. Example: 2 and 8 run an ALS call with no MDO dispatched, and there are 3 sets of station alerts. 1 for 8 and 2 for 2.

Thanks again,
-Matt

fd2119

Matt;
I was always under the ASS-u-mption (yes, I know about assuming!) that RTF was report to follow, but report to file makes just as much sense.

I, personally, haven't listened to HCPD since they switched to 800; I only listen to HCFR via Savage VFC's online scanner. My scanners are all conventional, non 800 stuff.

fd2119

menglish said:
I also thought of something I forgot to ask in my original post.
On the fire department side, why does station 2 have two separate alert tones now? I have not been able to figure out the pattern behind them. Example: 2 and 8 run an ALS call with no MDO dispatched, and there are 3 sets of station alerts. 1 for 8 and 2 for 2.

Thanks again,
-Matt

As for 2 and 8 having two sets of tones, I believe they have ambulance tones (I think EC volunteers complained about being woken up for medical calls at night), so the solution was to implement EMS tones. I believe that 6 will be implementing one shortly, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.