Howard County: Permian Basin P25 & Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Today, I monitored the new Permian Basin P25 system in Midland & Big Spring. My compliments to those involved in this project. The transmissions were crystal clear on my GRE PSR 500. When I passed the 172 mile marker in Big Spring, I was still hearing TG 501, OPD Patrol 1.

I am rather bewildered about the lack of radio traffic on Big Spring PD. Typically, they are more active than Howard County SO. I heard they were planning on merging city & county jails. I wonder if they are sharing the county frequencies as well?

Judging from the police beat, there should be much more radio traffic.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Permian Basin P25 Reception

For those who are interested in this area of Texas, I have been hearing fairly frequent transmissions from TG's 501 & 901 today in Big Spring, Texas. Again, I find this exceptional since it is about 60 miles to Odessa.

The same can be said for CB transmissions along IH 27. I suppose the flatness of the terrain helps with the CB.

I previously questioned the infrequent radio traffic on Big Spring PD Dispatch; however, today, it was more active. I suppose I am used to the traffic near Waco, Houston, and larger cities.

I have not heard anything from the Federal Prison here in Big Spring. I suppose the TG's are encrypted since none are identified in the RR DB.

Tomorrow, I will be heading to Midland, Texas to monitor more P25 transmissions.

Adios

Oh well.

KE5PL

I am not sure if you are listening on 800 or VHF. VHF only S of Big Spring, 800 and VHF SE of Midland. If 800, you may have been hearing the Midland site. These sites would not light up if there was no one affiliated.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
800 Mhz Digital

I am not sure if you are listening on 800 or VHF. VHF only S of Big Spring, 800 and VHF SE of Midland. If 800, you may have been hearing the Midland site. These sites would not light up if there was no one affiliated.

I was definitely listening to 800 mhz digital. As I previously mentioned, the TG's were from Odessa. I was quite surprised.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I'm out here in Monahans working the oilfields, but have been so busy and worn out that I have barely even turned on the scanner. I want to monitor the system. I can pick up the Notrees sites from here.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
West Texas Reception

I'm out here in Monahans working the oilfields, but have been so busy and worn out that I have barely even turned on the scanner. I want to monitor the system. I can pick up the Notrees sites from here.

Since I went to Levelland high school, I know what type of terrain you are dealing with out there near Monahans. I am pretty excited about having the capability of hearing Odessa and various LE agencies when I come to Big Spring. Like I said, the clarity was exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.