Howdy From Texas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyTexan

Just wanted to say howdy.

I've always had a scanner since I was young , 33 now. Love listening to Police frequencies.

I've got a BC355N that I enjoy listening to but I'm in the market to get an updated mobile unit.

I'm looking at the BCD325P2.

I hope I can pick up Longview, TX , Gregg County Phase 2

Currently living here.

Gladewater, TX 75647
Gregg County

We are moving to here
Hallsville,TX 75650
Harrison County

Looking forward to reading the forum.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to say howdy.

I've always had a scanner since I was young , 33 now. Love listening to Police frequencies.

I've got a BC355N that I enjoy listening to but I'm in the market to get an updated mobile unit.

I'm looking at the BCD325P2.

I hope I can pick up Longview, TX , Gregg County Phase 2

Currently living here.

Gladewater, TX 75647
Gregg County

We are moving to here
Hallsville,TX 75650
Harrison County

Looking forward to reading the forum.
Hi Fuzzy
Welcome to RadioReference.

You should be able to pick up the Longview system from your new location. The Longview site actually shows to be a simulcast, with more than one site using the same frequencies. There is a site in Harrison County (Hallisville's county) a short distance east of the Gregg?Harrison county line.

As you already know, your 355N will not receive the system. However, the 325P2 (a handheld unit) certainly will. Other units that would work include the BCD996P2 (that's a base/mobile scanner, which is currently on sale for $325.59 on Amazon; the 325P2 is currently at $362.83), the BCD436HP & BCD536HP, plus the Home Patrol 2. Whistler models would include the WS1088 (handheld) and WS1098 (base/mobile), as well as the TRX-1 (handheld) or TRX-2 (base/mobile). The WS1098 and TRX-2 mobiles have a detachable control panel, allowing you to place the scanner elsewhere in your vehicle, but have the display unit mounted on or around the dash, where ever is convenient.

Currently, Longview, and the other agencies on the old ETMC section of TxWARN P25 (such as Tyler and Smith County) are using P25 Phase I. However, at some point, I believe that the system will transition to Phase II operation, so it would be best to get a Phase II capable scanner, which include the units I listed.

I have a 325P2, and it works well on the systems here in the DFW area, including several that are Phase II.

FuzzyTexan

Hiegtex,

Thank you very much for all the info! I was incorrect on the phase 2 , I thought Longview was already on it.

The scanner info is great, I might try and pick up a 325P2 soon. I've been watching a bunch of videos and reading reviews.

I work in the IT field so I am comfortable programing it and looking forward to messing around the newest tech on scanners.

Apart from Police /Fire I haven't listened to much else so I want to broaden my horizons on that aspect. I love Aviation but not sure how much of that traffic is being broadcasted around here.

Thanks again and I have really been enjoying reading this forum.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hiegtex,

Thank you very much for all the info! I was incorrect on the phase 2 , I thought Longview was already on it.

The scanner info is great, I might try and pick up a 325P2 soon. I've been watching a bunch of videos and reading reviews.

I work in the IT field so I am comfortable programing it and looking forward to messing around the newest tech on scanners.

Apart from Police /Fire I haven't listened to much else so I want to broaden my horizons on that aspect. I love Aviation but not sure how much of that traffic is being broadcasted around here.

Thanks again and I have really been enjoying reading this forum.
The TxWARN P25 system is capable of Phase II, and that is what is being used by Houston and some of the surrounding cities in the Harris County area. From what I've seen posted, all agencies in that area are supposed to transition from Phase I operation to Phase II in the next couple of years. No idea whether that same process will apply on the part of the system in our areas. I can hear the Kaufman County site from home, and occasionally pick up Tyler or Smith County units that are far enough west to hit that tower. These are all Phase I, as is Longview in your area.

For aircraft, remember that planes at altitude can be heard many miles away. While at various locations in and around the Possum Kingdom Lake/Stephens County area, about 100 miles west of the DFW area, I can monitor planes contacting approach for DFW Airport. Of course, as they descend lower, I'll eventually lose them. But the enroute channels are also active, and I have heard, on occasion, aircraft that are several hundred miles away. While I don't see a list of frequencies in the database, I suspect that you'd also be able to hear some of the military aircraft associated with Barksdale Air Force Base in Bossier City. Not on the ground, and maybe not on final approach, but definitely once they were at at least some altitude.

FuzzyTexan

Still trying to figure out what scanner I want to pick up. I've moved away from the BCD325.

Currently looking at a good deal on a WS-1088 ,or shell out a little more for the BCD436HP on Amazon. I'm not in a rush, just looking for a deal. I've been watching eBay but nothing just short of retail going on.

I've been enjoying reading the forum so far, very informative!

Status
Not open for further replies.