Howdy! New member here

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinb210

Feed Provider
Howdy everyone. I have been lurking for a few weeks now, and am really enjoying the forums and learning quite a bit! I have not been into scanning or radios in general for 20+ years. I was heavily into CB radio for many years with a multitude of mobile and base configurations to include AM and SSB and of course a lot of DX. I currently reside just outside of San Antonio. I got the idea of getting a scanner again because it was bugging me to see the Fire/EMS/PD driving down the street and not knowing what is going on! ;)

So, I looked up the freq's in the database and quickly learned the $$ it would take to listen to the trunked systems used here with a traditional style scanner. Since I am an IT guy by trade, that got me going down the rabbit hole of SDR's. I quickly picked up an RTL-SDR with the little antenna kit, etc from Amazon. I got sdrtrunk running and then found out I need a second one to cover this trunked system properly. So, I bought a second one. Now, both are working well to cover my local trunked system. Both dongles are using separate little rabbit ear dipole antennas that came with the kits. With all that working well, I thought well shoot.. there is not a Calls feed going for this system so let me throw my name in the hat, got the approval and have since been streaming since and all seems well.

Further down the rabbit hole, I thought about getting a third RTL-SDR, but ultimately decided I really wanted an Airspy for my 'daily use' SDR and sniffing around the airbands. That is now here, and working really well with a Sirio SD3000N anteanna connected with a 10ft length of LMR600 with N type connections in my little nerd room using SDR#. I have decided to return the Sirio. It is a great antenna, but I will probably be better served with a lower frequency wideband discone, and a narrowband 800MHz antenna instead. There is a Diamond D130NJ on order and hopefully will be here soon.

Future plans include testing the D130NJ in my room with the 10ft section of LMR600, and ultimately get a longer run routed up to the attic and move the antenna up there. I will also get a diplexer to split the discone to the lower frequencies and also put up an 800MHz vertical or yagi for the trunked stuff. Also on the list is to get a duplexer to then break out the main feed to the two RTL-SDR dongles, and the Airspy. I'm sure there will be more before long haha! To dip down in the lower bands, I am thinking about building a loop on ground antenna to throw in the backyard for receive only of-course, and it's cheap! ;)

Outside of that, I have decided it is finally time I get my HAM ticket. I have been cramming pretty hard for about a week studying for Tech. I am scoring 100 over and over now on the practice exams. So, I will now start to study for the General, which so far I am scoring 50-60% on test exams without any study time as of yet. I feel pretty confident I can spend a few more weeks of studying and knock out both of them in one go.

I am really enjoying this forum, and especially all the new technology there is out there in the radio world! Just what I need, another hobby! Just don't tell my ol lady, as it seems no matter the hobby, you can burn a hole in your pocket very quickly! HAHA ;)

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
Welcome to the board. I also listen to the local trunk system and the air bands. Living just next to JBSA-Randolph it is very easy to listen to the planes coming and going. If you need any thing please just ask.

Thanks
Don

kevinb210

Feed Provider
Welcome to the board. I also listen to the local trunk system and the air bands. Living just next to JBSA-Randolph it is very easy to listen to the planes coming and going. If you need any thing please just ask.

Thanks
Don

Very cool Don, and I am going to bookmark your blog. Great source of information there! I am not far, right behind to Retama Park and I hear the T-38's flying over all the time. I briefly setup the computer the other day to receive ADS-B signals the other day and got plane plotter working. I was pretty amazed at the distance I was receiving with the little antenna inside my house. I believe the furthest signal was a tad over 50 miles!

Once I get everything else squared away, I am thinking about setting up my raspberry pi as and ADS-B receiver, etc. Thank you for the gesture, and same to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.