Howto: Listen to streams on your iPhone/iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
Note: This requires firmware 2.0

Open up the App Store and search for "Toner" by Nullriver (costs $4.99 -- well worth it imho)

Once you've installer Toner, open it up and go to the Search menu. Click "Open..." in the top right corner and enter an mp3 based steam URL, for example:

http://sacscannerfeed.no-ip.org:8080/live

And you're listening to feeds on your iPhone!

Enjoy.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
The name of the application appears to be "Tuner", not Toner. A search using Toner yields negative results. A search by Developer Name "Nullriver" returns "Tuner".

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
16 gb itouch here

any colorado links availible? for listening
16gb itouch here?

RolnCode3

RolnCode3

what is even cooler is that I am able to listen to the Sacramento Live Feed on the iPhone, over the At&T Edge network (not 3G or Wifi)

That is huge...
The feed is set at 16kb/sec, so the audio quality isn't spectacular, but the bandwidth requirement is pretty low. I personally think it's adequate, but you may not have the same results on other feeds depending on their setup.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Also, if you scroll through the genres, you will find a scanner genre with quite a few feeds. I am having trouble with my feed when I directly enter the URL, which I know is correct. It is telling me that the type of stream is not recognized. Then...next time it'll work. Then stop. Then work. Very strange.

The feeds in the scanner genre may coincide with the Icecast website's scanner genre list. For some reason my feed is not showing up on that list, but there are numerous other feeds that I recognize.

I also can't figure out how to edit the name of a bookmark. It's either impossible or I'm missing it. However, a good start to another way to listen to scanner feeds. Nice find.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
The name of the application appears to be "Tuner", not Toner. A search using Toner yields negative results. A search by Developer Name "Nullriver" returns "Tuner".

Oops, it is indeed Tuner. I must have been thinking iToner.

Also, if you scroll through the genres, you will find a scanner genre with quite a few feeds. I am having trouble with my feed when I directly enter the URL, which I know is correct. It is telling me that the type of stream is not recognized. Then...next time it'll work. Then stop. Then work. Very strange.

The feeds in the scanner genre may coincide with the Icecast website's scanner genre list. For some reason my feed is not showing up on that list, but there are numerous other feeds that I recognize.

I also can't figure out how to edit the name of a bookmark. It's either impossible or I'm missing it. However, a good start to another way to listen to scanner feeds. Nice find.

I've noticed that it's very temperamental when it comes to connecting to a stream. "60 percent of the time...it works every time."

I haven't been able to rename bookmarks either. This app was available at the App Store launch, I'm sure they will be working out the bugs and releasing an update sometime soon. At least we've made some progress!

ke5fgc

Premium Subscriber
What about a RR app for the iPhone??? or just a webpage formatted to fit the iPhone/iTouch

vacrx

I'm getting the scanner feeds that are found under the Genres but still can't get my feed to work, let me know if somebody here can try my feed in their iphone/ipod touch, thanks.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting the scanner feeds that are found under the Genres but still can't get my feed to work, let me know if somebody here can try my feed in their iphone/ipod touch, thanks.

Link?

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
That's an html page. You need the .m3u (or whatever extension) link directly to the feed. Or were you just pointing people in the right direction? I looked back and now I'm not sure.

Here's an .asx link from that same page for Aurora.
http://co.scanamerica.us/playlists/co/all/scanner3f-719737193.asx
The M3U links are accessible on that page by changing the selected player (on the page) to iTunes or Winamp.

You can also get to the M3U links easily by going to http://www.scanamerica.us/mobile.php and selecting Colorado, then the county you're interested in, and then the scanner you want to listen to.

Right now most of the scanner feeds are encoded at 24kbps and some are at 16kbps.

--
Gordon
ScanAmerica.us

vacrx

If you're having a tough time getting your Icecast/M3U streams to play, the website for Tuner says the next update will include support for Icecast streams. I can get mine to play sometimes but it usually stops within 2 minutes, so it somewhat plays Icecast already but I suppose they'll fix the various error messages I'm getting now. Here's a copy and paste directly from their site.

PLS playlist stations are supported. M3U support (Icecast) is coming in the 1.1 update.

Tweekerbob

Current version is now 1.2; price increased by $1.00. I installed this about an hour ago and was having no problems or errors after listening to a few different streams. Text tags seem to be working well for those feeds which have that feature.

vacrx

Yeah, the new version is much better, plays my icecast stream perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.