Howto Mount Yagi 800 Mhz Antenna indoors NO ATTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jafarm66

I live in a condo complex where no External antennas are allowed. I want to mount a Laird 9db gain yagi antenna indoors (no attic) somehow but can't figure out how to do this so it stays pointed towards the 800mhz systems I want to monitor 30-40 miles away. Any ideas?

PS I am using a BCD436HP for main reciever and a BCD396XT for local stuff easily picked up on an 800mhz portable antenna

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
How to Mount Yagi 800 Mhz Antenna indoors NO ATTC

I live in a condo complex where no External antennas are allowed. I want to mount a Laird 9db gain yagi antenna indoors (no attic) somehow but can't figure out how to do this so it stays pointed towards the 800mhz systems I want to monitor 30-40 miles away. Any ideas?

PS I am using a BCD436HP for main reciever and a BCD396XT for local stuff easily picked up on an 800mhz portable antenna

I use a camera tripod for my yagi, it works great. Use the hardware that came with the yagi and attach it to the top of the tripod. You can move it in any direction you need to.

You can pick one up at your local Walmart.
Tripods: Accessories: Electronics - Walmart.com

br0adband

Check thrift stores in your area too (Goodwill, Savers, etc), just might find a nice working tripod for a few bucks and help out the charity in the process. Nothing wrong with brand new except the price. ;)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I mounted mine to an old torch light, which is about 5 or 6 feet high at ground level. (Example). I can easily tune it by rotating it as well. I monitor a site about 10 miles away for my feed if you want to listen.

On a 2nd floor or higher would be better to receive 30 or 40 miles.

Last edited:

caldwest

How about this? I mounted my Yagi to a length of 1.5" PVC pipe which was inserted on a paper towel holder (it has tension rods to keep the pipe in place). I can rotate the antenna in any direction and I am very pleased with the reception of the local P25 digital simulcast. I am in the center of six towers, so I aim the antenna at the closest tower. Works great for me.

Attachments

• DSCN1581.jpg
    DSCN1581.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,360

elrod

How about this? I mounted my Yagi to a length of 1.5" PVC pipe which was inserted on a paper towel holder (it has tension rods to keep the pipe in place). I can rotate the antenna in any direction and I am very pleased with the reception of the local P25 digital simulcast. I am in the center of six towers, so I aim the antenna at the closest tower. Works great for me.

Looks sweet. What brand of antenna is that and would it work for 700 mhz systems?

Chuck

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Normally all LMR is vertical polarization, so you want it oriented vertically (elements pointed towards the sky and ground, like in the picture in post #7).

bartold

Feed Provider
Normally all LMR is vertical polarization, so you want it oriented vertically (elements pointed towards the sky and ground, like in the picture in post #7).

Would the difference be that great? I currently have a yagi that I am trying to receive p25 trunked on. I am a couple of miles from the antenna and it sucks.

fmalloy

Wow - a PVC pipe with a paper towel holder as a stand - BRILLIANT.

I'm going to try this.

One question - Wilson sells 700-800MHz cellular Yagis that have a triangular plastic box around them to assumingly make them look more discreet and less like a geeky antenna my wife would have a fit over (this will be in the bedroom) Would this work?

Either that or I could some how hide it with a big photo or something...

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

Neat! I want one! Which antenna did you use and how much was it?

ETA: Nevermind, I see your later post where you listed the site you got it at. I'll check it out. :)

One more edit - gotta check with Mrs. AZScanner on this one before I order (happy wife, happy life and all that), but take a look here for anyone living in Simulcast Hell - covers up to 830 MHz, but I think it would still work for RX above that. $80 or so: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/digital-antenna-468-yb-7067.html

-AZ

Last edited:

fmalloy

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Haha this is *exactly* the one I'm looking at right now!

It looks really compact but it is still 16 inches long which is a bit high on the wife's VSWR scale, if you know what I mean...

Yeah, I'm lucky that my wife is just as messy and geeky as I am, so to her, the antenna would look "cool" in our bedroom, LOL. ;) Still need to ask her though - think I'll wait until *after* she opens her Valentines day present.

-AZ

whisper16

Check this model

Wilson Electronics 304411 8-10 dBi Wide Band Yagi Outdoor Antenna. On sale now for $69.95 at mycellsignalbooster.com.

I have a similar model that I used with a cell phone signal booster. It's very small, and would be fairly easy to conceal in the house.

Voyager

Don't discount a nice Christmas tree stand, either. They work great and can usually be found super cheap at thrift stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.