HP-1 and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
First off, I have a Spectrumforce GPS Model SF-GPS1, will this work on a HP-1?
I plug the GPS into 12V power and then into the HP-1 and go to GPS settings. It says not connected. Not sure which way it plugs in as it will let me plug it in either way. There is a little arrow on the GPS plug is that supposed to go up or down? Is there a special sequence to powering on the HP-1 first or the GPS has to be powered on? Just trying to get this working so any advice would be appreciated, thanks

rwier

First off, I have a Spectrumforce GPS Model SF-GPS1, will this work on a HP-1?
I plug the GPS into 12V power and then into the HP-1 and go to GPS settings. It says not connected. Not sure which way it plugs in as it will let me plug it in either way. There is a little arrow on the GPS plug is that supposed to go up or down? Is there a special sequence to powering on the HP-1 first or the GPS has to be powered on? Just trying to get this working so any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Uniden Scanner GPS Features - The RadioReference Wiki

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The GPS plug really only fits one way. If you were able to get it to plug in the wrong way, it is possible the jack is no longer functional (but, not necessarily...keep reading).

When pluggin in, the arrow on the plug should face the back of the scanner.

HP-1 won't recognize that the GPS is connected until the GPS has acquired satellites and is providing valid location data. I don't know if the SF-GPS1 has positive indication of signal lock (the Uniden BCGPSK has an led that changes from flashing red to flashing green when the signals are acquired).

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
An idea popped into my brain just now... if I had an HP-1 I would test this idea, but in playing around developing android apps I have found libraries that will allow me to read GPS data from the device and also libraries that will allow you to talk to serial ports on various devices.You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'? It should therefore be theoretically possible to connect an android phone (with an appropriately rigged/mickeymoused/homebrew cable) to an HP-1and send it the GPS data it's looking for.

To test this theory I would need 3 things:

An HP-1 (or about 500 bucks - ha ha)
A mini-usb to RS232 DB9 adapter (or whatever connection the HP-1 has... it would need to be mini usb on the phone end and connect to the HP-1 on the other)
A protocol doc that would tell me how to talk GPS to the HP1 (because I know many computer languages but GPSese is not one of them)
A willing community of 5 or so beta testers who have HP-1's and android phones.

I'm totally serious. The HP-1 can be borrowed if need be and returned afterwards, or if Uniden would be willing to sponsor the app in exchange for an HP-1 I can keep, I will release it for free and plaster Uniden's name all over it. I figure it would take me approximately a month to write and test, so if someone would like to loan out their radio for this, success or failure, I will have it back to you within 30 days.

How about it Uniden fans? Upman? Bueller? Anyone?
-AZ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.