HP-1 dead speaker - less than a month old

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

I sympathize with the fact that you apparently have a nearly unbearable pain where the sun don't shine, but no intelligent reader of these posts could possibly conclude that you have been forthcoming in divulging the reason for said pain.

daveharpe

@UPMan - thanks for the update.

In my case I don't think the robustness of the headphone jack was an issue. I only used the headphone jack maybe twice before the failure happened...the vast majority of the time I used the built-in speaker. In my case it feels more like a manufacturing defect...maybe a bad solder joint or something.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Skypilot: The part that was replaced was the jack. Neither the speaker nor amplifier failed.

Doesn't mean that the parts are not sub par. They are sub par for a $500.00 radio. I think I mentioned in another thread that I've heard $100 CB radios with much better audio than these mondern day over priced scanners.:roll:

dkf435

Thats kind of what I am trying to say, with my exposure to a wide selection of radios over the years, the HP1 comes up a little on the short side on the hardware.

David Kb7uns

sjlamb

Uniden didn't publish a parts list in their FCC filing like GRE does (I understand the reasons..). I'm not opening an in warranty HP1 up, waiting for someone to do so and publish the pics.:D

I see....... I assumed that information on that device had been made public as it had been labeled earlier in this thread as "garbage". I was interested in looking up the specs. I was guessing that they used either a Toshiba SIP or Toshiba surface-mount device.

daveharpe

Followup/closeout on this...

Unit was returned to me today January 25th after being received by Uniden December 29th. Just under a month...but in all fairness the New Year's holiday was in there as well, which probably added a couple of days.

After a little testing the repair seems successful. The headphone jack now seems a bit stiffer than I remember it being when I sent it away. Tried three different headsets and they all feel just a bit snug. Could be a good thing if the jack is more rugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.