HP-1 dead speaker - less than a month old

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveharpe

Well this is annoying. The speaker on my HP-1 died today. No warning, just turned it on and no audio from the speaker. If I plug in headphones I can still hear audio. Factory resets, etc. didn't fix the problem.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Any idea how long it'll take to get back from service?

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Well this is annoying. The speaker on my HP-1 died today. No warning, just turned it on and no audio from the speaker. If I plug in headphones I can still hear audio. Factory resets, etc. didn't fix the problem.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Any idea how long it'll take to get back from service?

I just bought an HP scanner. So hoping this is not an issue because I've owned a BCD396XT for about 3 years now and have had to replace the speaker in it twice! Sure wish they'd beef up these tiny speakers....at least make them military grade...lol

OCO

did you check your mute button ???
Mute also mutes the headphones....:lol:

I note that every report of a problem always leads to a panic (well, maybe not panic, but...) . If there's a real problem (like paint, or problems with decoding P25 FDMA) you'll see multiple reports; if you search something like "Problems with <fill in the blank>) you'll quickly see if there a bunch of reports. I think I recall one other report of a speaker problem (out of the ten or maybe a hundred ( :) ) or so HP1's Uniden has sold). I was really hoping into getting somebody with an out of warranty one to open it up - I'd like to see some pics of the guts, including what the speaker is.

Last edited:

symtron

Feed Provider

I have the same problem, purchased on November 5th, received via UPS on the 9th and Uniden service received it on Dec 9th !!! Same problem...I did find myself running it pretty much loud just to hear it. When I get it back I'll have an external Speaker and a earphone when portable. I have no idea how long the service will take..and I recommend signature required when you do ship....

daveharpe

Unit was Fedexed to Uniden last week and arrived there yesterday (tracking/signature confirmed). I'll post here when it comes back and let ya know how it goes.

daveharpe

Update: Service received the unit 12/29, just showed up in tracking today (1/8/12). Showing an estimated ship date of 1/17/12 (yikes!).

daveharpe

Well, the estimated ship date has come and gone, and no updated status. Really hoping this gets resolved soon...wish I could get a replacement.

If anyone from Uniden is watching this thread, it's TRO<removed>. Not expecting any help, but if you know something I'd love to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

wbswetnam

Well, the estimated ship date has come and gone, and no updated status. Really hoping this gets resolved soon...wish I could get a replacement.

If anyone from Uniden is watching this thread, it's TRO<removed>. Not expecting any help, but if you know something I'd love to know.

Sorry to hear about your HP1 repair troubles. I'm going through the same thing with Sony with a brand-new 40" LCD television I bought recently. It worked for one week, then conked out. They've had it for two weeks now and it's still not repaired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The speakers and audio amplifiers are garbage in these scanners, that is why they sound like garbage and fail often. I hope they can fix it for you. Good luck.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Status on that repair is "In line to be shipped" as of yesterday. The repair was finished late in the day on 1/17 (after package pickup deadline), and was sent out today.

I have a tracking number if you want me to post it.

Skypilot: The part that was replaced was the jack. Neither the speaker nor amplifier failed.

dkf435

Status on that repair is "In line to be shipped" as of yesterday. The repair was finished late in the day on 1/17 (after package pickup deadline), and was sent out today.

I have a tracking number if you want me to post it.

Skypilot: The part that was replaced was the jack. Neither the speaker nor amplifier failed.

Which shows the jacks on the HomePatrol need to be reengineered. As they are nowhere stout enough.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Gettin it back sux

Yeah well now your gonna have to wait to get it ..When i sent in my unit to get repaired they shipped it back to me using " FED-EX POST " First fexEx takes it then they drop it at a post office hub then they take it from there.. The worst to shipping companies back to back... was so irritating, took a week to get to me in NJ.. I shipped it out UPS Ground was there in 3days...UPS RULES!!! Uniden wake up it takes a month to get a repair and then you make someone wait (in my case)a week for the pony express to get it back from the repair facility.... NEVER use FedEx and Never Never use the freakin Post Office...JEEEZ.. oh well hope you have better luck gettin your repair back...

ps Uniden DID fix my unit and i did not have a problem with that side of the service...for 60 bucks i had my $500 scanner back up and running

sjlamb

Which shows the jacks on the HomePatrol need to be reengineered. As they are nowhere stout enough.

Now there's a quantum leap. I think that this is the first time I've heard of an HP-1 jack going bad. Hardly grounds for condemning all jacks in all HomePatrols. Geez.

Last edited:

dkf435

Well the GPS jacks are junk and I never have had an audio jack problem on any other scanner. So no, they need to review solder and and other methods of keeping the jacks from moving. The GPS jack was used by many digital cameras but there you hookup download and disconect. Either a DB9 for the GPS or 1/8' 4 conductor plug would work better. But to send a radio in for a month to repair a sub par jack is stupid.

David Kb7uns

rwier

Well the GPS jacks are junk and I never have had an audio jack problem on any other scanner. So no, they need to review solder and and other methods of keeping the jacks from moving. The GPS jack was used by many digital cameras but there you hookup download and disconect. Either a DB9 for the GPS or 1/8' 4 conductor plug would work better. But to send a radio in for a month to repair a sub par jack is stupid.

David Kb7uns

Second post on this thread and 22nd post on the RR Forum Site?? What is your "agenda" my friend??

mancow

Database Admin
Well to be honest the design of most of these radios is sub par. They often rely on just the solder on the leads as the sole mechanical support.

dkf435

No agenda just the truth and no BShave been scanning since 1984 computer aided scanning since 1992 been a ham since around 1994 and now have an extra class license. So I do not have to proove anything

Have an extensive collection of equipment, AOR, Icom, GRE and Uniden, probably more then alot of people out here.. Was on the boards and familiar with Lindsay when he dropped by the Stromng Signals board beforen RR was even thought of. Just because I sit back and read more than I type does not make me ill informed or have an ajenda.

Been getting ready for our switch to a 700Mhz trunked system and being forced into the newer technology of the HP1 and the PSR 800. With the problems that I am hearing and have expeirienced this early with how the HomePatrol and compared to other products in the Amateur and communicatrions markets their are deficient areas in the design.

I have owned probably every major Uniden radio and this is the first that I have had connection problems with. Had problems with a old BC50xlt with a bad speaker and a 205XLT with a bad zener diode Maybe I am expecting too much from them but this is the first Uniden radio that I have displeasure for. I have been doing the GPS enabled with my BCD996t with no problems with the rear GPS jack. Lets prove me wrong and get the number of broken jacks on the HomePatrol verses other products, just on this board are quite a few for the sample size. The HomePatrol is severly lacking in durability here. For $500 I can go buy a Icom 92AD digital radio that is more durable and water proof. Uniden is pushing this thing for mobile use and now the advanced users it should be constructed as such for durability.

David Kb7uns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.