HP-1 Deaf to 800 MHz. Can it be repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannaMary

After a good deal of troubleshooting, discussion and assistance in the Rhode Island forum, it appears that my HP-1 is deaf to the 800 MHz spectrum. I purchased the scanner a year and a half ago and had problems from the beginning receiving our statewide RISCON simulcast P25 broadcast.

However, because I could (and still can) receive UHF/VHF, I assumed it was my user error...but got nowhere trying to solve the problem. After further testing recently, I discovered that I can't receive any 800 MHz frequencies including my neighboring MA State Police. Can anyone please tell me if what appears to be 800 MHz deafness is fixable?

Thanks.

k0aa

After a good deal of troubleshooting, discussion and assistance in the Rhode Island forum, it appears that my HP-1 is deaf to the 800 MHz spectrum. I purchased the scanner a year and a half ago and had problems from the beginning receiving our statewide RISCON simulcast P25 broadcast.

However, because I could (and still can) receive UHF/VHF, I assumed it was my user error...but got nowhere trying to solve the problem. After further testing recently, I discovered that I can't receive any 800 MHz frequencies including my neighboring MA State Police. Can anyone please tell me if what appears to be 800 MHz deafness is fixable?

Thanks.
I don't know why it can't be repaired. I haven't sent anything to Uniden for repair because I've not had any problems with my Uniden products. However, I believe that have a "we will fix it" flat rate fee of $59.95 plus shipping. You should be able to read about the service on the Uniden web site.

HannaMary

Update....

Thank you for your responses. I drove out of town to another location late yesterday with my scanner and it worked fine...so I've discovered that the scanner is not the problem, but rather my local reception is. Good to know that the scanner doesn't need repair but that I need better reception and I will look into an 800 MHz antenna.

I appreciate your help.
Helen

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Helen,

Before trying a dedicated 800 MHz antenna try to find out if your reception problem is one of a weak signal (in this case maybe a better antenna is necessary) or one of too much signal caused by simulcasting (in this case you need less signal or a directional antenna or some combination of both). You can read more about this simulcast issue by searching on RR.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Work outside your home?

Aluminum siding, metal face insulation, chicken wire in plaster, stucco, nery to a cell tower. Any and all of these will reduce or eliminate a signal.

HannaMary

No...the scanner does not work outside my home. There is a cell tower 5 miles away.

I did not intend to start two similar threads in two different forums...but I did when I posed the question in this forum about Uniden repairs. I shouldn't have posted in two forums and I want to avoid confusion, so I'd like to close the discussion within this forum and refer members to the Rhode Island Forum where it began and where I continue to get support and advice. http://forums.radioreference.com/rhode-island-radio-discussion-forum/317395-new-ri-scanner-user.html

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Closed.

Next time you can click the red and white triangle in the top right corner of your post and ask that a Moderator close the thread. We don't have time to read every thread and sometimes requests in a thread are missed.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.