HP-1 install in my new Subaru XV Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

My Tucson was totaled a few weeks ago and I had to wait for the insurance settlement. I opted for a Subaru Crosstrek and just picked it up yesterday. Naturally, the first thing I did today was install the HP-1 and antenna.

I opted for a simple install using my RAM double ended ball mount in my cup holder using SuperLock strips from Radio Shack. I wanted to mount it similarly to how I had it in my Tucson (http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/290765-updated-hp-1-install.html), but the glove box would be in the way when open and the side of the shifter console seems much thinner than on my Tucson.

I have another place which may be perfect. It's the cubby hole under the climate controls and in front of the shifter. I tried it, but the face of the HP-1 would have been touching the shifter when the vehicle was in park. I would need to get the shorter arm for the RAM mount to mount it there. Still considering it. Here a few pics of the install as it stands now. It seems that it is only letting me upload 1 pic at a time for some reason, so I apologize for posting additional pics in replies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,153

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Very nice use of limited space! Why a Subaru this time instead of another Tucson?

Mike

dmg1969

Very nice use of limited space! Why a Subaru this time instead of another Tucson?

Mike

Mike, my Tucson was an '09...the year before the body style change. I did drive the new Tucson (forget if it was a 14 or 15) and I didn't care for it. The layout, the visibility...just everything about it. I hated the Jeep Patriot too. But, when I sat in the Crosstrek, it just felt right.

dmg1969

This is the other mount location I am considering. I would have to get the shorter arm for my RAM mount to make it work. The one thing I don't like about the current setup is that I have to look hard to the left and then down to see the display. Going to keep looking around for just the right spot.

Attachments

• IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,803
  • RAP-B-201U-A.jpg
    RAP-B-201U-A.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2,299

K9EMD

Premium Subscriber
What sma to bnc adapter is that for your antenna? I like it better than the one I have looks more solid

SCPD

QRT
yes!

This is the other mount location I am considering. I would have to get the shorter arm for my RAM mount to make it work. The one thing I don't like about the current setup is that I have to look hard to the left and then down to see the display. Going to keep looking around for just the right spot.

Yes put it in there!

dmg1969

I bought the shorter arm for the RAM mount so I can move it to the cubby. I would rather have it mounted like I did in the Tucson, but it's just not possible because of the width of the glove box. Also, the plastic panels on the sides of the center console seem flimsy compared to what I mounted into in the Tucson. I'd be worried about the screws stripping out or the plastic being able to support the weight of the HP-1. I think this is my best option without taking the dash apart to find a safe spot to drill.

dmg1969

Well, I moved the HP-1 to the cubby hole. That was a pain getting just the right angle to get her to fit in. I need to find a right angle BNC to SMA adapter to free up a little wiggle room, but here it is in it's new home. The kicker is...after buying the shorter arm for the RAM mount, I had to use the original one anyway base on where I had to mount it to allow the antenna adapters to clear the cubby.
c4951f253795adee56384e00bd154813.jpg

78bae4662724b107da8b13ff232563bd.jpg

3226b2997e90544b0d51a447407d83bb.jpg
bbd46346bcd0b23a080212c03635bb49.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmg1969

To help with the volume issue, I opted to try running the audio through my radio and speakers. I went to Walmart and got the 1/8" stereo cable for five bucks (that Radio Shack wanted $15 for) and plugged it into the headphone out. Besides having to get used to the way it sounds when you have the audio coming from all directions, it certainly helps combat the road noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
This may seem obvious...

But I isolate my stereo to the front left speaker when using that option, especially when my woman is in the car. She's not the biggest fan. ;)

Just figured I'd put that out there seeing as you said you kind of had to "get used to" the all-around sound.

This works especially well in my work vehicle- scanner in my left ear, municipal radio in my right, CB (rarely used) down by my right knee. Rather perfect isolation.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Great job of moving the HP-1 to in front of the gear shift. I'm sure you can see it much better when you're driving down the road!

dmg1969

Yes, the visibility is much better than having it where it was. As far as running audio through the radio, I probably won't have to do that in the winter. I got in mainly for during the summer when I have the windows down if I am not running the AC. I've been getting used to it the last few days. The only thing I want to be sure of is that it doesn't interfere with my BlueTooth for my phone. The other day, my wife called when I was in the car and was upset because she had called three time prior and I didn't answer. Usually, I hear my ringtone through the stereo (mutes the radio if it is on) and the number of the caller appears on the screen of the radio. It never did that on her first three calls, but it did come through on the 4th. I don't THINK it has anything to do with running the scanner audio through the radio auxillary, but I want to keep an eye on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.