HP-1: HP-1 Is Dead. Are There Common Causes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Unit does not power on. I have tried new batteries, new power supply, new memory card, tried with USB plugged in and USB unplugged. Thought maybe I would see if it showed up in Device Manager on my Win7 PC. No luck.

I tried working with Uniden support... they had me try the same things I had already tried. I followed their directions just in case I missed something.

Side note to Paul:....tech support people were very nice, we just could not find an answer to get the radio to turn on.

Are there some common causes for something like this? I am up for trying anything before I send it in for repair @ 79.95 flat-fee.

I welcome any suggestions or ideas to try.

Thanks,
Vince

marksmith

The most common issue is the SD card, but if you are getting no power at all, that is not common and probably rates a trip to the shop.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/others

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
How do you usually power your HP1 when it was working? IE batteries or usb plugged in. What method has been used the most. And how old is the unit?

Thank you for the quick replies.

I normally ran the unit on 2100 mAh EneLoop batteries. I used it only a few times a week as I have a 396XT that gets the bulk of my activity. from time to time I would use the original wall transformer that came with the HP-1. About once or twice a year I would update using the provided USB cable. I couldn't tell you which version of the firmware it was on as it has been sitting dead for over a year now.

I did some tapping, some stronger tapping thinking maybe something may not have been making 100% contact and the "attitude adjustment" may have solved it. No luck there.

I was thinking maybe there were a few common problems that people come across and had some sort of easy fix. I looked to see if there was a way to do a hard reset, but did not see that in my manual. Of course there are reset options once the unit is powered on.

Thanks for the help,
Vince

seth21w

Not total failure, but if its out of warranty i would take it apart open it up and check all the wires going to and from the battery tray and power usb port. Maybe a wire popped loose from the tapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.