HP-1 Location / Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
HOME PATROL - 1 ..........anytime I change the selection of Talk Groups, I find that the Range has dropped down to 10 miles. With the Range changing I dont trust the location to be the same either. Is there any way to keep the range at a constant 30-miles and the location at the same zip, no matter what changes I make to the listening selection ?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Range setting is reset when you enter a ZIP code location due to the inherent inaccuracy of ZIP code location (your actual location can be anywhere in the ZIP code). If you want your Range setting to stay a non-default value, you need to connect an external GPS to the scanner, or have it modded by installing an internal GPS.

If you're toggling Service Types or Quick Keys, or turning Favorite Lists on/off in the scanner menu, that does not change the Range setting.

bgav

The Range setting is reset when you enter a ZIP code location due to the inherent inaccuracy of ZIP code location (your actual location can be anywhere in the ZIP code). If you want your Range setting to stay a non-default value, you need to connect an external GPS to the scanner, or have it modded by installing an internal GPS.

If you're toggling Service Types or Quick Keys, or turning Favorite Lists on/off in the scanner menu, that does not change the Range setting.

+1 for GPS, just attach and set range to 0.

marksmith

Changing talkgroups in a favorites list I don't think has anything to do with range, unless you are using location control on your FL. Under that circumstance, it doesn't really utilize what is in there for range.

If using location control, GPS attached with 0 range is the best situation.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

phask

Premium Subscriber
Mark - what if - the range of one of the systems would load at 20 miles range and not at 5? Then that service type would be greyedout.

Changing talkgroups in a favorites list I don't think has anything to do with range, unless you are using location control on your FL. Under that circumstance, it doesn't really utilize what is in there for range.

If using location control, GPS attached with 0 range is the best situation.

marksmith

Only if you are using location control on your FL.

If not, the range is ignored and your selected talkgroups and service types control what you hear. It does not use range to determine what to load.

If you scan the full database, or FL with location control, it will use range.

But if you set range to 0 miles, and system has a 20 mile circle you are in, it will still load.

What you say is true if that system has the only talkgroups in that service type, and you are using location control or the full database (which uses location control by default).

I only use the full database when traveling in unfamiliar territory. Otherwise I use Favorites lists without location control. They load what I program and ignore range.

Or if I am traveling with GPS I will set range to zero and use a custom location controlled favorites list where I have set the ranges on the systems.

Last edited:

llwade

Premium Subscriber
HP-1 Location / Range

quick question ..... If I live in the same town as where the site is ( within a mile ) would the scanner reception be any different if the LOCATION was marked as 05 - 10 - 20 or 30 MILES ?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Your location setting in the scanner has no effect on reception. It is whatever it is, given signal strength and your antenna. The location setting only determines whether the scanner will try to monitor a channel. If the location settings are wrong, the scanner will either ignore nearby things within reception range, or waste time trying to monitor things that are too far away to hear.

marksmith

All range does is a rough decision on what out of the database to load given your position and surrounding systems. It has nothing to do with what the scanner is capable of receiving.

If you are not using the full database and use favorites lists with location control turned off, range does NOTHING.

If you are using the full database, your range setting only controls what systems the scanner decides to load for scanning. Setting it to zero will include the systems that theoretically reach your location. Anything more adds to the list of fringe systems it loads.

If you live within a mile of a 20 mile range system, a range setting of zero will work just fine... in fact it would work just fine another 19 miles out.

Status
Not open for further replies.