HP 1 Melting Rechargable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm32935

Premium Subscriber
While charging the HP1 the other day I noticed the case was extremely hot. When I opened the back cover the upper right battery had basically exploded and the compartment had some slight melting.

I replaced the factory rechargables with Alkalines and the unit still works.

Just changed the batteries to Rayovac 1.2 Nimh rechargeables and they are warm after about 30 minutes of charging. Anyone having this problem?

SCPD

QRT
I don't know when people will learn that it is a bad idea to charge your batteries in your scanner. External chargers are so much better .. in that they charge the batteries faster, better and you don't risk wrecking your scanner.

I think that they will finally learn when they have to replace their scanner cause of a 2$ battery.

wizardb

Amen, EDMSCAN. I've read it here many times as well as on several other discussion groups. So if I may reiterate what you just said--DO NOT RECHARGE YOUR BATTERIES IN THE SCANNER OR RADIO. Don't matter what the scanner/radio users manual says, Don't do it. Buy an external battery charger or stay with alkalines, Alkalines have a pretty good life today and if you watch for sales you can get them for around 40 cents a piece. I also have several rechargeable batteries and I use an external battery charger. The batteries are very open to the air while they charge and they do got HOT. I wouldn't want that kind of heat build up going on inside the confines of a battery compartment on my $400 radio.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
and they are warm after about 30 minutes of charging. Anyone having this problem?

Getting warm is normal behavior. Search around here and you will find several threads on this same topic in the Uniden, Radio Shack and GRE forums at least.

Most will also talk about never charging the batteries in the scanner. Too much can go wrong and ruin your expensive radio. You were lucky you caught yours when you did.

jm32935

Premium Subscriber
HP1 battery Charging (melting)

Thanks for the replies folks and yes I caught it in time this time around. Over the years I have had no trouble with my GRE products overheating the battery compartment and truthfully for $500.00 this shouldn't be an issue for the HP1.
I will heed the advice though and get an external charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.