HP-1 Memory Use During Major Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0UDG

Premium Subscriber
I used my HP-1 to record public safety activity during the recent major ice/snow storm (12/5 to 12/9/13). The area received around a quarter to a half inch of ice, 1 to 2 inches of sleet and from 6 to 11 inches of snow and unfortunately this was followed by unusually cold temperatures. I have not received any mail or newspaper since Friday and the schools are still closed too.

I only recorded from two towers of MOSWIN – Missouri State Network and 4 rural counties (2 MO & 2 AR) for 4 days & 4 hours. My other three scanners were recording AWIN (Arkansas State Network), the city and county I live in, & DOT & Utilities.

I was surprised to find that I was burning through over 250 MB of memory per day just on the HP-1. The HP-1 file was almost 15,000 files and 1.1 GB in size at the end of this period. I had an 8GB memory card so I had plenty of room but this speed of memory use was way above normal. Therefore, it would appear that in prolonged major events you can expect to use way more memory than normal so you might consider having a few more memory cards handy or some bigger ones.

I could have used the BCD436HP (on order) which shows that ordering things you want but do not need (at the time), may turn out later that you do need it after all.

Jay911

It's just that the "call" volume (not as in emergency responses, but as in radio traffic) was that much higher.

During the flooding that affected our province in June, I was out of my house - for 5 days - and couldn't get to the scanner to shut it down or empty it. I saw a comparable amount of data use to what you did - I think it was around 1.3 or 1.4 GB when I got home and got to transfer it to storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.