HP-1 or 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used scanners on and off for about 20 yrs. I currently have 2 BCT8's a 246T, pro 2052 and a pro43. I am in Illinois and the State police have gone to digital. I am not sure how much I want the GPS feature. The HP1 seems to have complaints about the quality of the GPS jack breaking easily with frequent use. It also takes more parts to use a GPS. ie gps null modem, cable , etc. Although easier to get set up for basic use I am nut sure if I should get it due to these few negatives. I will be using it in my car primarily. Does the community have any thoughts on this

Last edited:

steveh552

I went through this same issue but my problem is I travel 2-3 times a year between Columbus and Memphis or Dallas. I went with the HP1 and got the scanner and GPS puck with all adaptors for less than the scanner sells for on sale, it was a used for three days unit that Universal took in on a trade.

I am thinking about a 996 for the house but in the car the HP1 works fine for me. I still need to work on my fav list but I made a 200 mile trip with it and it was great.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Maybe you should get just the HP-1 without the GPS option then.

Status
Not open for further replies.