HP-1 overload/desense issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskt_Case

Just installed an Antennacraft ST-2 mounted about 25 feet above ground and its basically a whole different scanner. Decided to try an external antenna after not getting satisfactory reception of some distant agencies, especially their mobile units.

Prior to this, local agencies in the 155.xxxx range were heard just fine using the OEM duckie. Using the HP-1 with the ST-2, HP-1 will stop on active freq's but nothing is heard, except for a very faint hiss, sometimes accompanied by a low hum. Meanwhile, my old Bearcat is getting a good copy on the same freq. Turning on the Global Attenuator seems to fix this, but still seems like some transmissions are just too hot.

Stranger behavior still, it is constantly stopping on Kentucky State Police (P25) freq's with nothing but a few seconds of hiss, then resume scanning. It probably stops on KSP about every 5-8 seconds. However, actual audio transmissions seem to be coming in just fine. I'm receiving the same amount of traffic as usual, but now this constant stopping in between with nothing but dead air. Attenuation seems to help slightly, but not by much. Increasing squelch seems to help some, but again, does not eliminate the problem.

So, where do I go from here? Will play with settings again later but wanted feedback from the community. I know there are traps and filters and all sorts of things but not sure what to do first really.

crcarter

Stranger behavior still, it is constantly stopping on Kentucky State Police (P25) freq's with nothing but a few seconds of hiss, then resume scanning. It probably stops on KSP about every 5-8 seconds. However, actual audio transmissions seem to be coming in just fine. I'm receiving the same amount of traffic as usual, but now this constant stopping in between with nothing but dead air. Attenuation seems to help slightly, but not by much. Increasing squelch seems to help some, but again, does not eliminate the problem.

So, where do I go from here? Will play with settings again later but wanted feedback from the community. I know there are traps and filters and all sorts of things but not sure what to do first really.

What post/tower?

Baskt_Case

I am monitoring KSP Post 15, Columbia (Region 2).

KY State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I have all the frequencies for this post as listed in RR programmed into my HP-1.

Most usually, the only site that I hear is the Spurlington-Taylor County Transmitter. That was with the duckie, dont know what could happen with this ST-2.

When it hangs on KSP and all I get is noise, I have to explain a little. Ok, the HP-1 has a 3 line/section display while scanning...

1. Favorite List
2. Agency/Group
3. Frequency/Channel

It hangs on the KSP List but shows no Site or Frequency, and it actually gives me a low hiss, like a carrier. Then resumes scanning all my other lists. KSP is Multicast, but not Trunked.

Status
Not open for further replies.