HP-1 recording and battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Was reading in the HP 'Easier To Read' manual that the recording function will end when the batteries become low or are removed.

Just trying to get some clarification on this; when the batteries drain down and the recording stops, will what I've recorded up to that point be lost, or automatically saved?

Thanks in advance for any help / comments provided.

:)

lep

Was reading in the HP 'Easier To Read' manual that the recording function will end when the batteries become low or are removed.

Just trying to get some clarification on this; when the batteries drain down and the recording stops, will what I've recorded up to that point be lost, or automatically saved?

Thanks in advance for any help / comments provided.

What has been written to the sd card should still be on the card. When the LOW battery is sensed, you just can't record anything else, the record function is disabled.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

What has been written to the sd card should still be on the card. When the LOW battery is sensed, you just can't record anything else, the record function is disabled.

Sounds good to me. Thanks lep.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

Gilligan

Database Admin
Will the SD card become corrupted if the scanner is in the middle of recording an active transmission and the power is cut off abruptly? Like if you are running it off the ac adapter and the power goes out (or cord gets unplugged), will that corrupt the data on the card? I had issues with this on my PSR-800 before. It could also be caused by having it plugged into a vehicle cigarette lighter socket and somehow the ignition turning on or off may trigger a quick power cycle.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Will the SD card become corrupted if the scanner is in the middle of recording an active transmission and the power is cut off abruptly? Like if you are running it off the ac adapter and the power goes out (or cord gets unplugged), will that corrupt the data on the card? I had issues with this on my PSR-800 before. It could also be caused by having it plugged into a vehicle cigarette lighter socket and somehow the ignition turning on or off may trigger a quick power cycle.

I do know that the scanner will stop recording before the batteries are fully run down. I don't remember the exact wording, but a warning pops up stating the batteries are low and recording will be stopped in like 30 seconds (or something like that).

I just wasn't sure if the recordings were lost or saved automatically at that point.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
My concern is that an ABRUPT disconnect will cause the SD card to corrupt if it is currently recording a transmission...

RF23

Premium Subscriber
My concern is that an ABRUPT disconnect will cause the SD card to corrupt if it is currently recording a transmission...

I think the scanners (HP-1, x36) are always recording other wise the instant "replay" button would not work. However, I think the reason the recordings stop on low battery is that if the power should be abruptly interrupted (which is unlikely with good batteries) it might result in a corrupted SD card, so it stops recording until a "back power supply" (good batteries) are there to keep this "abrupt" power loss from happening.

If you are using a cigarette lighter for a power source in your car I would never start my car with my scanner plugged in and turned on as the voltage spikes are pretty high but I have a 27 year old car.

I have several "backup" SD cards ready to swap in for a corrupted SD card, so far I have never had to use them but last week for the first time I got a warning on my HP-1 display to unplug it, remove the batteries and wait at least 1 minutes and plug it back in to attempt to clear of a problem with the SD card. It worked.

Gilligan

Database Admin
The main reason I am bringing it up is not really due to the cigarette lighter issue, but because when I used to run my PSR-800 24/7/365, occasionally the power would go out. Perhaps it was just an issue for the grid where I lived, but it seemed like at least once a month we would have a momentary loss of power, which doesn't affect 99.9% of electronics, but always corrupted my SD card. I was hoping that Uniden would have a way of falling back on battery power if there is a momentary loss of direct-power, however I doubt that technology is implemented as it would likely be viewed as an unnecessary expense for them. Besides the power going out, occasionally someone would accidentally unplug the radio while it was running, which would cause the same problem.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
A few more possibilities (you have probably already thought of theses):

1. Do you run your GRE-800 with good batteries while it is on AC?

2. Has anyone else on the GRE site complained of this problem with the GRE-800? Maybe it is just your radio and not a problem in general with the GRE-800?

3. Did you have your GRE-800 plugged into a good AC filter or directly into an AC outlet?

4. At present, I am under the impression that the Unidens do use the batteries to avoid a corrupt SD card. This is why it will not record to the SD card unless the batteries are good enough condition to keep that from happening. In other words: if the AC goes out all of a sudden the batteries will continue the record session without corrupting your SD card. At least that is what I think now.

5. What ever the cause is I hope we can find it as the GRE-800 is not only expensive but seems to be a very good radio and the have the SD cards repeatedly being corrupted would be really aggravating.

phask

Premium Subscriber
The main reason I am bringing it up is not really due to the cigarette lighter issue, but because when I used to run my PSR-800 24/7/365, occasionally the power would go out. Perhaps it was just an issue for the grid where I lived, but it seemed like at least once a month we would have a momentary loss of power, which doesn't affect 99.9% of electronics, but always corrupted my SD card. I was hoping that Uniden would have a way of falling back on battery power if there is a momentary loss of direct-power, however I doubt that technology is implemented as it would likely be viewed as an unnecessary expense for them. Besides the power going out, occasionally someone would accidentally unplug the radio while it was running, which would cause the same problem.

As far as I can tell - that IS how it works. I have 2, and one is as old as they get. I've never had a corrupted card. I always have batteries in them,had to replace the oldest, and never care about unplugging, power, auto plug in , whatever.

I've seen people with card issues - but no rhyme or reason.

Again, I unplug mine from AC with it on, grab and run, plug in to the DC adapter, start and start and never worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.