HP-1 V2.01 - Rectangles vs Circles? And other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Hello Uniden folk:
I am a new owner of a HP-1. I am not new to scanning and have been in the Radio Shack/GRE camp for a while. I am fumbling through the manual and reading as many posts asd I can to get up to speed. I have upgraded the Firmware, Sentinal and do weekly DB updates.

I have a few questions for the experts out there:

1) I read in the V2 manual that it has better location precision due to the ability to use rectangles instead of circles for department range and location. Sounds great but where the heck do I get to select this. I don;t see any reference to this in Sentinal or the radio. It would be cool to have a google map with transmitter range and be able to customize coverage but I am sure that would be too difficult to do. So for now, how can I choose circles and rectangles?

2) In summary, my question is do I need ARC Patrol or will Sentianl do the job?
a) I am about to start creating favorite which I am beginning to find essential. I read about ARC Patrol but I don't know if I truly need to buy another software package. With sentinal, can I grab agencies from the main database and make favorites?

b) I would also like to make customer lists with HAM repeater frequencies I have in Excel. Is it possible to cut and paste into Sentinal to make a favorite?

3) Do we have any software that can use the streaming audio/control that the extreme upgrade provided?

4) I use limit searches a lot. Setting the upper and lower frequency and scanning withing that range. Do I need the Extreme upgrade to have this option?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Baskt_Case

Hello Uniden folk:

1) I read in the V2 manual that it has better location precision due to the ability to use rectangles instead of circles for department range and location. Sounds great but where the heck do I get to select this. I don;t see any reference to this in Sentinal or the radio. It would be cool to have a google map with transmitter range and be able to customize coverage but I am sure that would be too difficult to do. So for now, how can I choose circles and rectangles?

Within Sentinel, press CTRL+2 to open the Favorites List Editor. You will be asked to pick which list you want to edit. Select it. Navigate your way to the specific frequency(s) you are dealing with, then click the "Location" Tab. Then select your Circle or Rectangle and define its range.

2) In summary, my question is do I need ARC Patrol or will Sentianl do the job?
a) I am about to start creating favorite which I am beginning to find essential. I read about ARC Patrol but I don't know if I truly need to buy another software package. With sentinal, can I grab agencies from the main database and make favorites?

Yes, insofar as owning the HP1 for just a few days, I have used the database as a start for all of my favorites lists. At the moment, I have 10 different lists, all built using the database. When you find something you want in the DB, right click on it and select "Append Favorites List".

b) I would also like to make customer lists with HAM repeater frequencies I have in Excel. Is it possible to cut and paste into Sentinal to make a favorite?

Have not tried this yet but I'm told you can.

3) Do we have any software that can use the streaming audio/control that the extreme upgrade provided?

I do not know.

4) I use limit searches a lot. Setting the upper and lower frequency and scanning withing that range. Do I need the Extreme upgrade to have this option?

I have started a thread on this very thing. You can find it here: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/228221-hp1-how-discover-new-channels.html

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

rwier

.....................................I am a new owner of a HP-1. .................................................................Kevin

Two Hp-1's. Many refer to them as the HP-1, and the HP-1(E). Different functions. It is possible that only the HP-1(E) does rectangles.

Baskt_Case

Two Hp-1's. Many refer to them as the HP-1, and the HP-1(E). Different functions. It is possible that only the HP-1(E) does rectangles.

In my response above, I should have clarified that I own an HP-1 not Extreme. I found the location types in Setinel but have not attempted to modify those settings with my non-Extreme HP1.

OCO

In my response above, I should have clarified that I own an HP-1 not Extreme. I found the location types in Setinel but have not attempted to modify those settings with my non-Extreme HP1.

All V2 HP1's, both Upgraded and Extreme, will support the rectangular coordinates when the RR database is upgraded. There are a couple of pertinent forum entries, including this one by UPMan and an entire thread about it. There's more stuff out there, also - just search the forums for "rectangles". Based on comments from Lindsay and UPMan, it's still being worked on from the RR Database end.

Note that doing a GPS rectangular coordinate layout is going to require some tools if you're going to get in the business yourself - you'll need to draw the rectangles as some sort of overlay on a map and then determine the opposite corner lat/long points. (read the second link for comments on that).:wink:

edit:
Brumey -
#3: UPMan released some demo, engineering type things that you can download, but nobody has announced any new products that use the audio output (it's digital) that I know of.
#4: Yes, without the workaround discussed here..

Last edited:

OCO

Thanks old, for the corrections.
I think a lot of us that did the V2 Upgrade and also bought the Extreme edition never stopped in between, so it's only been lately with more new buyers joining that haven't bought the Extreme edition that we're kind of unsure on some of these features. I have to keep referring back to UPMan's blog where he announced the features of each.....;);)

brumey

Thanks for your replies and information. Apologies for the typo's in the original post.

I went ahead and purchased the Extreme upgrade but feel the cost was about twice as much as it should have been. Anyways, that's behind me, now it's time to get this machine running.

I would hope that the Uniden software can be upgraded to take advantage of the USB audio and control WITHOUT additional costs.

Have a great evening guys....

Last edited:

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
You will need this.
ARC PATROL extreme upgrade software for Uniden Sentinel HomePatrol Home Patrol HP1 HP-1 Homepatrol scanner free demo software

Yes It cost, but if you would like to edit the frequencies on the HomePatrol then download the editor program. Otherwise your stuck with what is on the Database here on RR, good or bad. I don't update every week, I don't even update my databse on the HP every month. I update every 2-3 months. If I go out of town and I don't have the frequencies on my favorite list then I would update. The HP Extreme update is woth the money. The Extreme update adds feathures that the HP did not come with.

New Features on HP Extreme Upgrade.
Introducing the HomePatrol-1 Extreme Update - YouTube

Also look at the Sentinal Upgrade.
HomePatrol Sentinel Update - YouTube

Hope This Helps.

OCO

You will need this.
ARC PATROL extreme upgrade software for Uniden Sentinel HomePatrol Home Patrol HP1 HP-1 Homepatrol scanner free demo software

Yes It cost, but if you would like to edit the frequencies on the HomePatrol then download the editor program. Otherwise your stuck with what is on the Database here on RR, good or bad. I don't update every week, I don't even update my databse on the HP every month. I update every 2-3 months. If I go out of town and I don't have the frequencies on my favorite list then I would update. The HP Extreme update is woth the money. The Extreme update adds feathures that the HP did not come with.

New Features on HP Extreme Upgrade.
Introducing the HomePatrol-1 Extreme Update - YouTube

Also look at the Sentinal Upgrade.
HomePatrol Sentinel Update - YouTube

Hope This Helps.

I'm not sure if you mean that you can't edit or create systems with Sentinel, but you can. While it's got a lot of nice features, ArcPatrol (which I bought when I got the HP1) has become less necessary since the release of V2 of Sentinel, which added a lot of comparable features. I haven't even loaded ArcPatrol yet on my new laptop....

Baskt_Case

You will need this.

Yes It cost, but if you would like to edit the frequencies on the HomePatrol then download the editor program. Otherwise your stuck with what is on the Database here on RR, good or bad...

...The HP Extreme update is woth the money. The Extreme update adds feathures that the HP did not come with.

Just to clarify, you can edit frequencies using Sentinel, as long as you are using Favorites Lists. No, you cannot edit frequencies directly in the HPDB, which is retrieved from the RRDB. If you let HP1 program itself based on location settings or ZipCode, it pulls channels from the HPDB.

You must allocate channels into Favorites Lists if you want control over this thing. After you have started Sentinel, press CTRL+2, or select "Edit" from the menu bar and select "Edit Favorites List". Select which favorites list you want to edit, and have fun changing whatever parameters you want. You can even start a Favorites List from scratch and enter any frequencies you want.

Hope I've done more good than harm here.

Last edited:

brumey

It's all good :)

I'll hold off on ARC Patrol right now. I already own ARC 300 for my RS/GRE stuff.

Thanks again and I am very impressed with the prompt and informative responses in this forum.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.